Author Topic: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo  (Read 27377 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://www.instagram.com/p/BW0bVPLA28d/

Good to see Smart working so hard this summer to improve his game. He's got a big contract year coming up.

Is it just me, or does he look significantly thinner and actually ripped? You can't tell me he had those abs this past season when everyone was calling him fat!

Perhaps the coaching staff did ask him to bulk up last year to play bigger, and now that we have a million wings and he has zero reason to play the 3 he's slimming back down. That'd probably do wonders for his game.

Re: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Is that James Young on the left?  Did he survive offseason changes?
Yup

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Smart is definitely looking much leaner than he did last season. I think he's just slimming down. Love that he's putting in the work!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Good to see Smart working so hard this summer to improve his game. He's got a big contract year coming up.

Is it just me, or does he look significantly thinner and actually ripped? You can't tell me he had those abs this past season when everyone was calling him fat!

Perhaps the coaching staff did ask him to bulk up last year to play bigger, and now that we have a million wings and he has zero reason to play the 3 he's slimming back down. That'd probably do wonders for his game.

He's definitely thinner. You can tell by his arms. I think the extra weight prevented him from getting by anyone last year. I know a 10 lb weight difference was huge for me; the difference between getting the ball stripped constantly and stepping right past someone. Hopefully this makes that difference for Smart. Even if he never improves consistently as a shooter, he needs to add some threat to his offensive game.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

He's definitely thinner. You can tell by his arms. I think the extra weight prevented him from getting by anyone last year. I know a 10 lb weight difference was huge for me; the difference between getting the ball stripped constantly and stepping right past someone. Hopefully this makes that difference for Smart. Even if he never improves consistently as a shooter, he needs to add some threat to his offensive game.

agreed, i guess one could say his bulk last year also enabled him to guard bigger people, though i think 10 lb won't make much a difference in his strength department but should definitely help a bit in his quickness, with bradley gone i think it'll be more pressure on him to guard more PG and SG who are quicker

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
with the team we have now, hopefully Marcus does not see any minutes at the small forward position this year.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

thats Trey Davis

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Come on now, look how tall he is.  That's clearly Isaiah wearing a James Young mask.  :P

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I would love to see the physiques of posters that regularly call Marcus fat or tubby.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think the "Smart is fat" stuff was overblown. He's a thick-built guy, that's the way he'll always be. If you put a baggy jersey over that same image above you'll still have people calling him overweight just because that's his body.

But he does look like he's in terrific shape.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think he's always been a "whatever the team needs" type of body.

Last year, the team was small with IT4 and Bradley in the backcourt, so they needed Marcus to defend above his size. So he put on that mass.

This year, the team is actually pretty large, so Marcus will definitely need to slim down and be quicker to defend below his size.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

No. James is about 3 inches taller than Marcus
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
That's great and all, but...

Has Isaiah grown 5 inches this off season? Any picture proof?  :P :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I'm going to throw a comp out there that I honestly believe is Marcus' ceiling.... Dwyane Wade and honestly if he's going to be a shooting guard/ ball handler Wade is the perfect person to emulate.

When you see one of Smart's good offensive games, the way he scores is very Wade-esque... not a lot of threes, but tons of drives and post-ups... timely cuts to the basket or curls off screens to hit mid-range jumpers.

Smart's offensive potential is underrated due to his lack of consistency but the raw tools and ability are there.