Author Topic: Who becomes our X factor  (Read 1460 times)

Who becomes our X factor
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Assuming Kyrie, Hayward and Horford play their roles, what other player becomes the Xfactor for our Team? Does Smart automatically inherit that role? If he does and cant handle it, does Rozier and Brown compete for it until Tatum is ready? Who becomes that sneaky 4th option? I'm starting with Rozier for 2 months and then giving it to Tatum. If he lives up to the hype, he should be smoking back up Forwards.

Edit:
I dont think they will make Smart into a bigger offesive piece then he curgently is. Jaylen will improve but I envision him going through some struggles early in the season as he will be forced to readjust.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:20:10 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

Re: Who becomes our X factor
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:18:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm guessing Morris. Smart will be in a bigger role but his thing is still defense. Don't see Tatum or Brown being leaned on.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think the guy who is going to be a factor that no one is talking about is Morris.  I feel he needs to be Crowders replacement.  We will need that but I think he can give us more, at least I am hoping he can. 

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He's definitely a good poster, but X factor?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
In order of x factor:
1. Brown expecting 2nd year development
2. Tatum as he was best rookie in summer league, needs to translate his advanced game and show he is nba ready to be a x factor
3. Smart should get more open looks as players double kyrie and Hayward)
4. Rozier could have a breakout year coming off the bench with better scorers

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm going with Jaylen Brown.  I feel he will get the nod as the starting SG, and he will get a ton of open looks playing with these other guys.

I was thinking Smart but I just don't think he has the tools that can take a massive leap in his game like Brown. I think Smart will stay in a reserved role.

But in the end the 4th option leading scorer could be different every game. One night it could be Morris, then Brown, then Tatum, then Smart, then Rozier. If I had to pick one I'm going with Brown though.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:09 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Hasn't made a single post in four days. Coincidence? I think not, he is at the gym getting in perfect shape for the regular season.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm guessing Morris. Smart will be in a bigger role but his thing is still defense. Don't see Tatum or Brown being leaned on.

It is Smart.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Hasn't made a single post in four days. Coincidence? I think not, he is at the gym getting in perfect shape for the regular season.

Nice observation.  And to be honest, it's about time...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
We're lucky that we have more than one. I'm excluding Tatum because I think he's too young. The same goes for our other rookies. But there are 3 guys who could really make this season - or hurt if if they don't step up.

1. Jaylen Brown. Remember that Brown purposely worked on things he wasn't good at during the Summer League after the 1st game. But that first game was 29 points, 13 rebounds (and 7 TOs). Brown then went to Africa and led his team with 15 points. If he can continue to grow and contain his turnovers, he's easily the biggest X on the team. It's possible - not likely, but possible - that he and not Horford becomes the 3rd option on the team.

2. Marcus Smart. Smart's always an X factor because he makes winning plays. But his shooting often overshadows his other play. I'm a firm believer that revamping your shot takes a couple of years. Smart is about 1.4 years into that journey. His FT numbers suggests he shouldn't be that bad from the field. If - and of course, we've been saying this for 3 years - he actually finds his shot then he's a major X factor. We already know he can play defense, assist and rebound. If he finds a shot then he makes life so much easier on everyone because he could play alongside Kyrie on the 1st team and just shut down their best guard.

3. Terry Rozier. We're not hearing much from TR nowadays but he's coming into his third year. If he can lock down the backup PG spot by stopping his overdribbling and shooting well enough to keep the defense honest, he opens up the opportunity to trade Smart in a deadline deal to strengthen the team. Thus he's X #3. 

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tatum is going to score his points but I think Smart's play will have more impact on whether we win or lose.  His defense is always good but even last year I looked at Smart as being an X factor- whether he would be halfway efficient in any particular game or think he was Stephen Curry from 3 point land.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would consider Brown, Tatum and Rozier to all be major X factors for us this season - it's hard to really put one above the others, since all three are going to have key roles now with so many of our other guys gone.

Terry Rozier
Rozier will be a key because in the past two seasons he's shown flashes, but has been extremely inconsistent - and I've given him a pass due to his lack of experience and lack of consistent role/opportunity. 

However he's now going in to his 3rd season, and by default he is going to be our full time backup at one of the guard spots, so he's going to get a consistent role and consistent minutes.  It's will be up to him to prove he can contribute on a consistent basis.  If he can play the way we've seen him play at times, then he could be an absolute game changer for us as an Eric Bledsoe type guy - a small but hyper athletic guard who can create his own offense, hit big clutch shots, score in transition, and hound opposing guards on defence.  If he continues to play with the same inconsistency then last year, then that backup guard spot could (on the contrary) prove a liability. 

Danny seems to have extremely high hopes for Rozier, and so have I - but it's time for him to prove that faith is justified.

Jaylen Brown
Brown is also going to be a major X-Factor.  We already know who 4 of the starters will probably be, which leaves one spot (either SG or SF) free in the starting lineup - and no proven starting calibre player to fill it.  Most people seem to be predicting that Jaylen Brown will be that final starter.  IF this is true, then this (holding down a starting spot on a team with ECF aspirations) is a LOT of pressure to put on the shoulders of a 20 year old, second year kid. 

Will he rise to the occasion and excel? Will he try too hard to do to much and struggle?  Will he still look green and make tons of rookie mistakes, and prove to be a liability?  Honestly we have enough talent that we don't need to ask too much of him -  with Kyrie, Hayward and Horford out there to carry the load and Morris for support, all he really needs to be able to do on a consistent bases is hold down his position defensively, and make open looks when he gets them.  If he can do that as a bare minimum, that should be all we really need in order to round this out to be an excellent starting 5. 

That said if he really breaks out and shows he can give us  something in the range of 14 PPG / 5 RPG / 2 APG while shooting solid (44%/34%/70%) numbers and holding his own on defence (a feat that I do believe he's capable of)...then he could be the piece that changes this starting 5 for being excellent to elite.

Jason Tatum
A third guy who will be a genuine X-Factor for us is Jason Tatum.  Normally, I would expect very little of a 19 year old rookie.  I expected very little of Jaylen Brown last year, for example.  But my expectations for Jason Tatum are a little different to normal for a 19 year old rookie for two reasons. 

The first reason why I expect more then I normally would is that JT is quite possibly the most offensively polished rookie that I've seen come in to this league since Carmelo Anthony back in 2003.  His footwork and vast array of moves is impressive beyond words for any rookie - it's mind boggling for a 19 year old.  He already has better footwork and a wider array of offensive moves then most NBA starters, and that's no exaggeration - the kid can straight out score. He's going to need to bulk up before I can see him being overly effective as a small ball four, or even against some of the more powerful wings (Lebron, Butler, etc) but I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to score at a high level against 90% of the wings in this league from day one. 

The Second reason why I expect more than I normally would is that in all of Danny's offseason moves, he traded away almost all our veteran players - and aside from three guys (Smart, Rozier and Baynes) our entire bench is made up of guys who have never played an NBA game.  That means ONE of those 'rookies' is going to have to step up and make a consistent impact - and I don't see anybody on that list who is more capable of doing that then Tatum is.  Smart and Baynes are both quite limited offensive players, and even if Rozier breaks out, we can't really expect him to carry the second unit's offense on his own - so Tatum's scoring ability is going to be critical to the success of that second unit.  If he can come in as a consistent offensive spark plug off the bench (much like Evan Turner did in the past) then that could be the difference between our bench being a strong asset, versus out bench being a significant liability. 

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
play n for the enemy

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
To pick just one player I will go with Brown. It could be that the time is right for him to shine more.

I agree others have a lot to offer. Excitement is coming.