Author Topic: Ball Handlers, Wings, Big (and swings?)  (Read 5073 times)

Re: Ball Handlers, Wings, Big (and swings?)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Regarding Stevens thinking on positions there have been several threads in the Forums.

I made a search, hope it helps

"Stevens doesn't think we need a big" by Saltlover (June 2015)

"Forget the rim protector; we are going for a swing" by yours truly (June 2015)

A more recent post by Phosita (June 2017) "Here's the thing about wing depth"

A post on Gallo by arctic 3.0 that also discusses this issue in the OP (Jan 2016)

"Celtics add multiple "Swings" this year." by KG Living Legend (September 2016)

Finally, for those interested in the Forums history, below is the earliest mention of the term "swing" I could find. guava_wrench (January 2009)

This team needs a backup center, they need a big man that can spread the floor with a jumpshot, they need more offense on the second unit.  Brad Miller does all these things.  He is under contract this year and next.

The assumption in this trade is that Sac-Town is looking mostly for salary relief. A buyout with House returning (ala Brent Barry and McDyess) is agreeable to all. It also assume that a wing player will become available before playoffs to come of the bench.

TA, House, Scal w/ one of Powe and BBD and one of Giddens, POB, Pruitt. (+ cash for House's contract if necessary)
for
Brad Miller (and Bobby Brown if Pruitt goes).

Sac-Town cuts Quincy Douby and Eddie House.

After House is bought out, he waits his 30 days and returns to the C's.

Rondo  Pruitt/House  Cassell  Brown
Allen  House   Pruitt  Giddens
Pierce  FA Wing Giddens Walker 
Garnett  Powe/BBD  BBD/POB
Perkins  Miller  BBD/POB

Don't they have to pay House's player option for next year if they cut him? I would keep Miller and his contract over paying 2 years of TA, House, and Scal, and 1 year of Powe/BBD and being forced to flat out cut a guy or two. There must be a better deal out there for Miller.

I also don't see how we can trade TA without first picking up another swing man.

I would gladly take Miller. I just don't see us getting him by trading guys who also have 2-year deals.

I think the terms "swing man" is a little different than a "swing" as used by Stevens.  Historically in basketball, a swingman is someone like John Havlicek who could play two wing positions (SG/SF).  Steven's swings are players that can swing between a wing and a big I believe.

Maybe this is much ado about nothing.  Perhaps the greatest Celtics team ever, Ainge-Johnson-Bird-McHale-Parrish, was what, 2 wings, a swing (Bird) and two Bigs.  Nothing conventional about that.
Two big guards, an incredibly gifted pf size guy who could handle the ball like a sg but play sf position BUT rebound like a center and two center sized guys.  The game will constantly change.  If Shaq was drafted right now the entire nba would change.  Just like now, just like with Russ, wilt, magic, bird, and our current pg heavy small nba