Author Topic: Ray Allen to (still mad) Celtic fans: "Get over it! ... I'll always be a Celtic"  (Read 18533 times)

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Try to take the sports fandom out of it, and inject more of the "business".

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.
I totally agree but then you don't go around saying you'll always be a member of that company. And if the company was offering significantly more money and you left anyway they certainly don't have to talk about how great you were and how much they want to include you in the company picnic, especially when that company is the company that really elevated you to some of your greatest accomplishments.

I'm fine with "Ray had a right to leave and do what's best for him" but then we get to not care about him or want anything to do with him. If he wants the love and adoration of fans he should hang out with Heat fans.  He can always be a Miami Heat. But not a Celtic.

Lets not act like Ray wasn't a huge contributer to the 2008 run. I really don't understand the hate for Ray. Starting to think the ism involved.

I agree....as a matter of fact, I think that there were plenty of -isms involved with many Cs fans disliking Judas:

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

Those the ones you were thinking about?

Because if you were implying racism, which I hope that you weren't, that implication cheapens valid claims of racism that actually, sadly occur in our society.

I agree, the vast majority of it isn't racial.  Fans feel this entitlement with star players, whether they be Lebron or Hayward.

But, I have a hard time seeing what Ray did as "dishonorable".

He left a franchise that demoted him, traded him, and hadn't offered him an extension. He left for the best situation in the NBA. 

I feel like this is a situation where a woman cheats on her fiancée repeatedly and then gets upset when the guy dumps her. Sure, the bride's family doesn't have to love the dude, but should he be hated and called names?

When was he demoted?  Traded?  You mean traded before he left as a FA for Miami?  Not offered an extension?  Was he not offered two years @ $6 million per by Danny and two years @ $3 million per by Riley??? 

http://www.espn.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8137389/ray-allen-leaving-boston-celtics-nba-champion-miami-heat

Are you getting these assertions from the same sources you get your political "facts" from?     

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.
I totally agree but then you don't go around saying you'll always be a member of that company. And if the company was offering significantly more money and you left anyway they certainly don't have to talk about how great you were and how much they want to include you in the company picnic, especially when that company is the company that really elevated you to some of your greatest accomplishments.

I'm fine with "Ray had a right to leave and do what's best for him" but then we get to not care about him or want anything to do with him. If he wants the love and adoration of fans he should hang out with Heat fans.  He can always be a Miami Heat. But not a Celtic.

Lets not act like Ray wasn't a huge contributer to the 2008 run. I really don't understand the hate for Ray. Starting to think the ism involved.

I agree....as a matter of fact, I think that there were plenty of -isms involved with many Cs fans disliking Judas:

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

Because if you were implying racism, which I hope that you weren't, that implication cheapens valid claims of racism that actually, sadly occur in our society.

I agree, the vast majority of it isn't racial.  Fans feel this entitlement with star players, whether they be Lebron or Hayward.

He left a franchise that demoted him, traded him, and hadn't offered him an extension. He left for the best situation in the NBA. 

I feel like this is a situation where a woman cheats on her fiancée repeatedly and then gets upset when the guy dumps her. Sure, the bride's family doesn't have to love the dude, but should he be hated and called names?

When was he demoted?  Traded?  You mean traded before he left as a FA for Miami?  Not offered an extension?  Was he not offered two years @ $6 million per by Danny and two years @ $3 million per by Riley??? 

http://www.espn.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8137389/ray-allen-leaving-boston-celtics-nba-champion-miami-heat

Are you getting these assertions from the same sources you get your political "facts" from?   

When you have Avery Bradley starting over you, that's a demotion.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

They demoted him to the bench.
Told him he'd been traded and agreed to trade him only to be nixed when OJ Mayo said he didn't want to come.
They didn't offer him an extension until his contract expired.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

Told him he'd been traded and agreed to trade him only to be nixed when OJ Mayo said he didn't want to come.

Really?  Any credible sources?  There was no reason he could not have signed the Celts' extension offer, which was superior to Miami's. 

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

Really?  Any credible sources?  There was no reason he could not have signed the Celts' extension offer, which was superior to Miami's.
That's not a contract extension. That is signing a new contract with the same team.

Boston had an opportunity the previous year to negotiate an extension with Ray Allen but they chose not to. If you have any sources that indicate we offered Ray Allen an extension I'd definitely be interested in seeing it.

In fact, I don't even think Boston had made a single offer to Ray by the 4th of July.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

That's not a contract extension. That is signing a new contract with the same team.

Boston had an opportunity the previous year to negotiate an extension with Ray Allen but they chose not to. If you have any sources that indicate we offered Ray Allen an extension I'd definitely be interested in seeing it.

In fact, I don't even think Boston had made a single offer to Ray by the 4th of July.

They needed to get KG signed first. That bothered Ray. But if KG retired, rebuild begins.

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

That's an academic distinction, and as Alley Oop noted, KG was the linchpin in this, as we were waiting on his decision.  Ray had the opportunity to sign a new deal with the Celts, but chose to sign for half the money Danny offered, preferring to move to the stacked Heat. 

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

That's an academic distinction, and as Alley Oop noted, KG was the linchpin in this, as we were waiting on his decision.  Ray had the opportunity to sign a new deal with the Celts, but chose to sign for half the money Danny offered, preferring to move to the stacked Heat.
Its hardly an academic distinction.

Roy said he wasn't offered an extension. This was true. An extension and a new contract with the same team are different things that. Its not my fault you didn't know that.

Roy wrote three things, all correct, and you attacked him saying it was all BS. Have you now conceded that he did indeed get demoted (starter to bench), traded(Boston agreed to deal to send him to Memphis only to have OJ Mayo backout), and was not offered an extension?