Author Topic: Ray Allen to (still mad) Celtic fans: "Get over it! ... I'll always be a Celtic"  (Read 18566 times)

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Try to take the sports fandom out of it, and inject more of the "business".

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.
I totally agree but then you don't go around saying you'll always be a member of that company. And if the company was offering significantly more money and you left anyway they certainly don't have to talk about how great you were and how much they want to include you in the company picnic, especially when that company is the company that really elevated you to some of your greatest accomplishments.

I'm fine with "Ray had a right to leave and do what's best for him" but then we get to not care about him or want anything to do with him. If he wants the love and adoration of fans he should hang out with Heat fans.  He can always be a Miami Heat. But not a Celtic.

Lets not act like Ray wasn't a huge contributer to the 2008 run. I really don't understand the hate for Ray. Starting to think the ism involved.

Lol holy crap

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.
I totally agree but then you don't go around saying you'll always be a member of that company. And if the company was offering significantly more money and you left anyway they certainly don't have to talk about how great you were and how much they want to include you in the company picnic, especially when that company is the company that really elevated you to some of your greatest accomplishments.

I'm fine with "Ray had a right to leave and do what's best for him" but then we get to not care about him or want anything to do with him. If he wants the love and adoration of fans he should hang out with Heat fans.  He can always be a Miami Heat. But not a Celtic.

Lets not act like Ray wasn't a huge contributer to the 2008 run. I really don't understand the hate for Ray. Starting to think the ism involved.

I agree....as a matter of fact, I think that there were plenty of -isms involved with many Cs fans disliking Judas:

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

Those the ones you were thinking about?

Because if you were implying racism, which I hope that you weren't, that implication cheapens valid claims of racism that actually, sadly occur in our society.

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

I agree....as a matter of fact, I think that there were plenty of -isms involved with many Cs fans disliking Judas:

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

Because if you were implying racism, which I hope that you weren't, that implication cheapens valid claims of racism that actually, sadly occur in our society.

Given Ray Allen a black athlete and the history and craziness of Boston fans, racism is in play.

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:29:37 AM by alley oop »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

KG and Pierce are racists? lol

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

I agree, the vast majority of it isn't racial.  Fans feel this entitlement with star players, whether they be Lebron or Hayward.

But, I have a hard time seeing what Ray did as "dishonorable".

He left a franchise that demoted him, traded him, and hadn't offered him an extension. He left for the best situation in the NBA. 

I feel like this is a situation where a woman cheats on her fiancée repeatedly and then gets upset when the guy dumps her. Sure, the bride's family doesn't have to love the dude, but should he be hated and called names?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

He helped make the Heat great again. I'll never forgive him for that. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He helped make the Heat great again. I'll never forgive him for that.

They were already defending champs.

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
If Ray had stayed, he would have been traded away by Ainge like Pierce and Garnett were a year later.

I remember hearing at the time that one of the conditions Ainge wanted to give Ray (in an attempt to get him to re-sign with us in 2012) was a no-trade clause.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:32:56 PM by celts10 »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Honestly at this point who cares what we say? If KG, Pierce and others from the team don't like him, it is not like we can change their opinions. If Ray wants to get to into instagram battles with fan accounts that doesn't really help anything. I don't really spend time thinking about Ray Allen at all unless this topic is trending on the right side of the screen here at Celtics Blog. Then I briefly think, "who cares?"

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
maybe he always will

but his number won't be retired by the Celtics. while Im living .....

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
maybe he always will

No, his number won't be retired and it shouldn't be.

I have a lot more love for Ray Allen than a lot on this board but I also think the retired number thing has been overused by the franchise in the past. I might not even retired KG's number.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:19:52 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
maybe he always will

No, his numbers won't be retired and it shouldn't be.

I have a lot more love for Ray Allen than a lot on this board but I also think the retired number thing has been overused by the franchise in the past. I might not even retired KG's number.
KG's number shouldn't be retired either.  Just Pierce from that team.  Boston has far too many numbers retired cheapening the honor for those that truly deserve it (like Pierce).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Traitor-ism
Scumm-ism
Petulance-ism
Pettiness-ism
Dishonorableness-ism
Weasel-ism

I agree, the vast majority of it isn't racial.  Fans feel this entitlement with star players, whether they be Lebron or Hayward.

But, I have a hard time seeing what Ray did as "dishonorable".

He left a franchise that demoted him, traded him, and hadn't offered him an extension. He left for the best situation in the NBA. 

I feel like this is a situation where a woman cheats on her fiancée repeatedly and then gets upset when the guy dumps her. Sure, the bride's family doesn't have to love the dude, but should he be hated and called names?
In all of your arguments you deliberately neglect the biggest reason why people dislike him. In a vacuum you have a valid point. Of course he has a right to do whatever he wants with his career.
With context, being that Ray left a championship team to go to their largest rivals, in the same conference, without consulting the 2 guys he won a championship with, you cannot objectively say that Boston fans shouldn't be upset.
If you want to use the analogy you have above, really it should read:
'I feel like this is a situation where a woman cheats on her fiancée repeatedly and then gets upset when the guy dumps her and marries her best friend.'
The leaving was fine, who he left for is what caused an issue.