Author Topic: Ray Allen to (still mad) Celtic fans: "Get over it! ... I'll always be a Celtic"  (Read 18456 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ray is entitled to say how he feels so are the fans.   I think by him bringing it up, maybe he is the one who needs to get over it.

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Ray Allen got harrassed on his birthday, and replied. Telling him to "get over it" is just passive-aggressive nonsense.

He also didn't "join the enemy". This isn't a war, it's just a game.

Methinks this is just a convenient excuse for people to a) keep their heads in the sand and pretend we still had a chance in 2012 if it wasn't for Ray, and b) act like total dickwads without fear of repercussion.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
He is a Celtic the same way Rick Fox is a Celtic.
Rick Fox didn't want to leave the Celtics however. But Rick Fox didn't help us win a ring so he's not even close to Ray.

Fox did date Eliza Dushku so I'll give him some Celtics credit for that.
Peace through Tyranny

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't see why this is still being discussed by anyone, by ray, the c's, past c's, fans, media. it's pointless. imo it seems there is still things unsettled between that roster but no one wants to make that 1st step to opening the discussion.

ray allen was one of my favorite players before joining the Celtics, and still one of my favorite players from that era. what he did was out of spite he knows it and i'm sure he'll admit it someday. the players will probably get over it eventually.

if he's asking the fans to he's not as smart as I give him credit. in fans' eyes going to the enemy is just something you don't do.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Did not like Ray Allen before he joined the Celtics... don't like him now... he needs to get over it. He is not a Celtic. He left of his own accord. Let me know when the Celtics take him back.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
nobody kicked him off the team.

The grass was greener .  He never was a Celtic at heart.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Ray Allen got harrassed on his birthday, and replied.

Lol. Harassment? Seriously?

He was responding to comments on a Celtics Instagram fanpage. No one made him read through the comments, he chose to.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
nobody kicked him off the team.

The grass was greener .  He never was a Celtic at heart.

Grass is always greenest with the Celtics...

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Is the timing of this significant? The fact that Hayward just got his shirt? So it basically confirms that he won't get retired.

Ray was within his rights to move. Noone can deny him that. He did what was best for him. However Celtics fans are entitled to be a bit mad that he put himself before the team, and that he chose to go to our biggest rivals in the East, he could've gone out West.

He was offered a no trade clause if he stayed so he wouldn't have been traded like Pierce and KG unless he too had agreed to it. I don't think Paul and KG get traded if Ray leaves either. That would've been too difficult for Ainge to sell.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
He is a Celtic the same way Rick Fox is a Celtic.
Rick Fox didn't want to leave the Celtics however. But Rick Fox didn't help us win a ring so he's not even close to Ray.

Fox did date Eliza Dushku so I'll give him some Celtics credit for that.

But Fox retired as a Celtic ;D

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ray deleted the comments lol

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/07/24/ray-allen-deleted-a-comment-that-told-celtics-fans-to-get-over-it

TP for the find.

Ray, this is what I'd like to see from you, and as a lowly fan, I'll forgive your cowardice. Admit that you were p---ed off and did what you did petulantly and out of spite and not for "business" reasons and apologize to KG and PP for your cowardly, traitorous actions.

You do that, you'll gain a ton of respect and a crap-load of fans back. People (especially KG and PP) want to like you again. Hell, this whole board WANTS to like you again. I know I do.

Be a man and do it!!!! Prove you're " a Celtic forever" as you claim(ed) in your deleted post.

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Ray is entitled to say how he feels so are the fans.   I think by him bringing it up, maybe he is the one who needs to get over it.

Agreeed - TP for you.  I'm firmly in the camp that Ray did nothing wrong by going to Miami.  But why go on the offensive like he did?

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Try to take the sports fandom out of it, and inject more of the "business".

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.
I totally agree but then you don't go around saying you'll always be a member of that company. And if the company was offering significantly more money and you left anyway they certainly don't have to talk about how great you were and how much they want to include you in the company picnic, especially when that company is the company that really elevated you to some of your greatest accomplishments.

I'm fine with "Ray had a right to leave and do what's best for him" but then we get to not care about him or want anything to do with him. If he wants the love and adoration of fans he should hang out with Heat fans.  He can always be a Miami Heat. But not a Celtic.

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Try to take the sports fandom out of it, and inject more of the "business".

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.
I totally agree but then you don't go around saying you'll always be a member of that company. And if the company was offering significantly more money and you left anyway they certainly don't have to talk about how great you were and how much they want to include you in the company picnic, especially when that company is the company that really elevated you to some of your greatest accomplishments.

I'm fine with "Ray had a right to leave and do what's best for him" but then we get to not care about him or want anything to do with him. If he wants the love and adoration of fans he should hang out with Heat fans.  He can always be a Miami Heat. But not a Celtic.

Lets not act like Ray wasn't a huge contributer to the 2008 run. I really don't understand the hate for Ray. Starting to think the ism involved.