Author Topic: Ray Allen to (still mad) Celtic fans: "Get over it! ... I'll always be a Celtic"  (Read 18451 times)

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'm not surprised to see that some loudmouths here are the same kind of simpletons who think Ray Allen somehow did something wrong.

Ray took the best deal he had and the opportunity to win a title. It stings but those are the facts and I have a difficult time criticizing a guy who wants another ring. With or without Allen the Cs weren't going to get back to that level. He recognized that and left when he had the opportunity. No fuss, no muss.

I think it hurts some people's psyche because his decision forced everyone to realize that the cold, hard truth was that the window had closed on the Big 3. Allen's leaving was the final nail in the coffin but people want to blame him for the body inside that had died 2 seasons prior.

He's not a "Celtic" to me because he was little more than a hired gun and was the lesser of the Big 3. We loved Pierce. We needed KG. But there were 20-30 other players who could have filled Allen's role. His biggest contribution was creating the opportunity to get KG to accept the trade to Boston. So there's no reason to consider raising his jersey to the rafters, no reason to celebrate him - but there's no reason to vilify him either.

20-30 players could have filled his role

yea your a joke

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Good for Ray.

I'll ALWAYS love him as a Celtic Player.

I'll never forget the clutch shots - especially that EPIC one in game 4 2008 NBA Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i19lSd7pAiE

That game was CRUCIAL to BOS's success in that series. We would've probably gone back to BOS down 3-2 to LA if we had lost that game.

Ray Allen - once and always a Celtic to me.

We need to remember the GOOD TIMES - and there were PLENTY of them.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If Ray had stayed, he would have been traded away by Ainge like Pierce and Garnett were a year later. Unrestricted free agency is the only time a player truly has some level of control over their destination, and he chose the best situation for him. It's silly to take any of it personally.

Pretty much this^.

I understand fans being mad that he left, but some of the behavior that some have exhibited on twitter and other social media borders on harassment, obsession and outright hate.

Seems to me if you are that emotionally vested in what is, ultimately, supposed to be entertainment, that you find your self feeling that kind of hate/anger/rage/whatever just because a player chose to go to another team, then it's time to step back and self-examine.    It's probably not really Ray Allen that is the source of your problems in life.

Crazy fans aside, simplifying down what Ray Allen did to merely "chose to go to another team" is at best disingenuous.

He made a choice for what he felt was best for himself, considerations for a fan base that supported him be [dang]ed, now deal with the consequences.

"It's just business" and "did the best for himself" don't absolve him of anything.

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
What Ray did wasn't "wrong" and he had every right to do that

Just like the fans and his teammate had every right to be upset.

He was dead to me after that. Nobody will ever convince me that was the wrong emotion. He left his family to join the enemy/rival FOR LESS MONEY. Good for him, but that stung.

That being said, enough time has passed and everybody who feels like I did DOES need to get over it.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If Ray had stayed, he would have been traded away by Ainge like Pierce and Garnett were a year later. Unrestricted free agency is the only time a player truly has some level of control over their destination, and he chose the best situation for him. It's silly to take any of it personally.

Pretty much this^.

I understand fans being mad that he left, but some of the behavior that some have exhibited on twitter and other social media borders on harassment, obsession and outright hate.

Seems to me if you are that emotionally vested in what is, ultimately, supposed to be entertainment, that you find your self feeling that kind of hate/anger/rage/whatever just because a player chose to go to another team, then it's time to step back and self-examine.    It's probably not really Ray Allen that is the source of your problems in life.

Crazy fans aside, simplifying down what Ray Allen did to merely "chose to go to another team" is at best disingenuous.

He made a choice for what he felt was best for himself, considerations for a fan base that supported him be [dang]ed, now deal with the consequences.

"It's just business" and "did the best for himself" don't absolve him of anything.

Funny....the "Godfather" line, the excuse to do some dishonorable act  (like Carlo setting up Sonny to be killed or Tessio betraying the "family") was always: "It's not personal, it's only business" really applies here.

What Judas did was to betray his friends (esp. PP and KG) so he could give the big middle finger to DA, Doc and Rondo for perceived slights (Doc starting AB, Rondo pushing for AB) and perceived disloyalty (Ainge trying to trade him.)

He went to war with our guys against those guys and then goes over to "those" guys, for less $$....so he could stick it to DA and Doc and Rondo. the fact that their was a ring as a possibility was only icing on the cake......NOT the cake itself.

EDIT: What Judas did was very personal.....it was not business.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:24:50 PM by csfansince60s »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm with Ray on this. A lot of fans still hate Ray for leaving for a rival but I don't. Maybe it would've been different if he'd been a lifelong Celtic but the C's were his 3rd team. When he left he was in the twilight of his career. It was looking like he was going to be a bench player the next year if he stayed in Boston.

He didn't owe the organization or fanbase anything and I'm grateful for what he did while he was here.

Maybe he owed some of his teammates something but that's none of my business.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I still respect Ray.

The only thing that he did that I don't love is that he didn't talk with KG and Pierce before moving on. But, Hayward didn't tell his teammates either, so who knows?
This.

I'm over it but I still hate that he made that shot to kill the Spurs.

If kawhi leonard doesn't miss that FT the spurs win!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Saruman decided to join the dark lord Sauron because he thought it was the best decision at the time. After the ring was destroyed, was Middle Earth supposed to honor him because of his previous years of being good?

In the same way, Ray Allen joined the Heat because he thought that was the best decision at the time. That's his choice. Cool. Now, it just so happened that real life doesn't always work like the books/movies and in real life, the proverbial and literal ring fell in the hands of the dark lord Riley/Lebron. It sucks but them's the breaks. When it's all said and done though, Saruman can't expect a hero's welcome when he goes back to the Shire. Maybe if he fought beside us even when the temptation of the ring was great, but no, he folded. That's the difference between SaRayman and Kevin Gandalf.

I think I might've taken this analogy too far.

Nope, not at all -- TP (😂😂😂)

My username is Witch-King from the Lord of the Rings, and we all know that in real life neither the Celtics nor their fans are evil, and you also have to remember that the One Ring did rightfully belong to Sauron, the Lord of the Rings, anyways. He created it so it's his, even though others didn't like it. If you look at the real life "Lord of the Rings" in the NBA as a player it's Bill Russell and as solely a coach it's Phil Jackson and certainly neither men are evil so the allegory of the Lord of the Rings only goes so far. Remember it's a work of fiction with no basis in reality. ::shrugs::

I for one feel as that Ray Allen will always be a Celtic in my mind; back when he played I used to idolize his shooting ability because he was one of the greatest if not THE greatest shooter of all time. I just saw a rerun of the Celtics '08 championship Game 6 vs the Lakers and Ray made 7 3's (looked like 6 in a row at one point) in the Final game of that season, which was largely a blowout. Shooting like that is unheard of in this league even to this day. Ray is a Celtics legend.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm not surprised to see that some loudmouths here are the same kind of simpletons who think Ray Allen somehow did something wrong.

Ray took the best deal he had and the opportunity to win a title. It stings but those are the facts and I have a difficult time criticizing a guy who wants another ring. With or without Allen the Cs weren't going to get back to that level. He recognized that and left when he had the opportunity. No fuss, no muss.

I think it hurts some people's psyche because his decision forced everyone to realize that the cold, hard truth was that the window had closed on the Big 3. Allen's leaving was the final nail in the coffin but people want to blame him for the body inside that had died 2 seasons prior.

He's not a "Celtic" to me because he was little more than a hired gun and was the lesser of the Big 3. We loved Pierce. We needed KG. But there were 20-30 other players who could have filled Allen's role. His biggest contribution was creating the opportunity to get KG to accept the trade to Boston. So there's no reason to consider raising his jersey to the rafters, no reason to celebrate him - but there's no reason to vilify him either.

20-30 players could have filled his role

yea your a joke

We didn't need him for defense (interior or exterior) and we already had an outside sniper. We needed a 3rd wheel (at least) - someone who could take the pressure off. His role could have been defined as a ball handler, a shooter or even another interior presence. It just needed to be someone good enough to attract Garnett. So yes, a bunch of players could have filled that role.

Kobe
AI
Lebron
Gilbert Arenas
Wade
Nowitzki
Carmelo
Michael Redd
Elton Brand
McGrady
Carter
Richardson
Bosh
Jamison
Gasol
Weber
Lewis
Parker
Duncan
Baron Davis

They probably could have stuck Artest back there and accomplished something similar if his name wasn't mud, you chav. The difference between those guys and Allen was that Ray was 32, disgruntled, had a declining reputation and could be had for the 5th pick. The only jokes here are your IQ and condom size.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Without Ray Allen there is no championship.
Ray is a very good man.
Celtic fans need to welcome him back.
To err is human, to forgive divine.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Him and Doc Rivers can hang out in LA and talk about how they'll always be Celtics. I hope they have a good time.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
this smacks of the old 'do you know who I am' refrain by someone who feels disrespected.

The obvious answer is ... 'well if you have to ask, you are probably not worth knowing'

Kevin Garnett does not have to proclaim he will always be a Celtic.

Paul Pierce does not have to proclaim he will always be a Celtic.

Rondo does not have to proclaim he will always be a Celtic.

The fact that Ray has the need to do this says it all.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Without Ray Allen there is no championship.
Ray is a very good man.
Celtic fans need to welcome him back.
To err is human, to forgive divine.
I don't know if we win without him, or if he is a good man, but i know a "always a celtic"
doesn't join the enemy and stab your team from behind

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
He is a Celtic the same way Rick Fox is a Celtic.