Author Topic: Ray Allen to (still mad) Celtic fans: "Get over it! ... I'll always be a Celtic"  (Read 18536 times)

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
(remember the prior year a healthy Heat beat a healthy Celtics team in 5 games).

You mean the team that had an injured Shaq, a mostly injured Jermaine O'Neal, and Rondo playing with one arm?

Yeah, your idea of a healthy Celtics team doesn't hold water. You're an odd individual.

Its odd to carry on with passively undercutting the Celtics on a Celtics forum after being called out on it several times.  That would affect most people enough to persuade them to stop, maybe save an occasional reactive split or two.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Try to take the sports fandom out of it

Well then what is the point of watching and rooting for a particular team?

Sorry, but it doesn't work this way and you know it. Fandom is a crucial part of sports and the main reason why these athletes make as much money as they do.

Being a fan is too often synonymous with irrational and hypocritical feelings.  99% of human beings would probably do something similar to what Ray did.  Once somebody betrays your loyalty in a business situation, very few people are going to forgive and forget. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
(remember the prior year a healthy Heat beat a healthy Celtics team in 5 games).

You mean the team that had an injured Shaq, a mostly injured Jermaine O'Neal, and Rondo playing with one arm?

Yeah, your idea of a healthy Celtics team doesn't hold water. You're an odd individual.
JO and Rondo both played around the same or more mpg in that series than they did in the regular season.  Shaq played in less than 40 games all year, he wasn't really to be relied upon.  But since bit players matter, Haslem played 3 minutes in 1 game in the series and Big Z missed a game entirely.  But hey I guess the lesser players from the Heat don't count either (even though in the Heat's last 11 playoff games that season, Haslem played in all 11 games and ended up with the 4th most minutes in those 2 series).  The main components of each team were healthy and the Heat won in 5.  Without Bosh the following year, the two teams were a lot closer, which gave this fan base a false sense of hope, but the run was truly over after the loss to the Lakers in the 2010 Finals as Boston had no real chance to beat the Heat with their Big 3 healthy.  They were just younger and better.  Just a shame KG, Allen, and PP were so old when they came together, as they could have been something special in their prime (and by special I mean a dynasty as that 08 team was a truly special team).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Try to take the sports fandom out of it

Well then what is the point of watching and rooting for a particular team?

Sorry, but it doesn't work this way and you know it. Fandom is a crucial part of sports and the main reason why these athletes make as much money as they do.

Personally, I think Ray should just shut his mouth and enjoy his millions of dollars and multiple championship rings. He isn't winning back the majority of the Celtics fan base and he needs to get over it.

Both sides need to get over it. Not just Ray.  Of course, they won't, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Ray's right.

Too many people made this emotional and have been irrational on the subject.  Who cares.

It's one thing to say that about fans.  I know I'm past it but was upset when he left.  I loved Ray Allen and to this day still appreciate everything he brought while he was here.  Time for the fans to move on, yes but the players that's something completely different.  They battled every day together.  If KG or PP want to be p---ed at Ray for their lifetime that's on them and I'm sure they have their reasons behind it.  Ray will forever be part of Celtic history but he's not a Celtic in the way Pierce and even KG are.  I really don't think he ever was and that's ok.  The C's have enough legends.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
The main components of each team were healthy and the Heat won in 5.   

This is a flat out lie, and you know it. Stop misconstruing the facts.

Rondo had a dislocated elbow, that isn't just some non-factor. It was a death blow to the Celtics chances in that series.

No wonder everyone gives you a hard time, you say the dumbest things.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
After all these years, I'm indifferent.

Sure, Allen has a point, Ainge does treat players like pawns when it suits him.

But using the "professionalism" argument to fans is not going to work. Of course, I get it that Allen wants to protect his financial interests like any other pro athlete, but it's not like I'm getting paid to support this team. Fans have other motivations.

TP.....thanks for writing my exact feelings ...saved me time.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

JO and Rondo both played around the same or more mpg in that series than they did in the regular season.  Shaq played in less than 40 games all year, he wasn't really to be relied upon.  But since bit players matter, Haslem played 3 minutes in 1 game in the series and Big Z missed a game entirely.  But hey I guess the lesser players from the Heat don't count either (even though in the Heat's last 11 playoff games that season, Haslem played in all 11 games and ended up with the 4th most minutes in those 2 series).  The main components of each team were healthy and the Heat won in 5.  Without Bosh the following year, the two teams were a lot closer, which gave this fan base a false sense of hope, but the run was truly over after the loss to the Lakers in the 2010 Finals as Boston had no real chance to beat the Heat with their Big 3 healthy.  They were just younger and better.  Just a shame KG, Allen, and PP were so old when they came together, as they could have been something special in their prime (and by special I mean a dynasty as that 08 team was a truly special team).

You didn't know this information prior to making your original argument.  So you literally just googled a lot of info to support an inaccurate stance that was just intended to cause irritation.  Does that not seem at least mildly pathological to you? I'm being dead serious here, interest in your level of insight

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Try to take the sports fandom out of it, and inject more of the "business".

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.

To continue to put this into terms people would understand (and ignoring the 'fired' aspect because that isn't at all relevant), you left out the part about money. If your current employer then offered you $100,000 to stay and a clause in your contract that said you couldn't be transferred, but you chose to go to another rival organization for half the money, that would be seen as foolish and your family would probably be pretty upset with you.

But that isn't really the point. I understand Ray's decision; I don't hate him for it; but, I don't think he has any right to tell fans to get over it. He left on bad terms. I agree with Ogaju's response - fans make players. You don't see the world's best lacrosse or field hockey players making any kind-of money. He chose his bed - it was probably best for his career - but now he has to lie in it.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You didn't know this information prior to making your original argument.  So you literally just googled a lot of info to support an inaccurate stance that was just intended to cause irritation.  Does that not seem at least mildly pathological to you? I'm being dead serious here, interest in your level of insight
Of course I knew most of that information as I had the series stats up (on bball-ref) when I made my previous post (the one a small part was taken of that is the first post in this chain - obviously in my second post I had to look up the rest of Haslem's playoff numbers, but I knew Haslem was an integral player on those teams).  I knew some of the lesser players missed some time (like Haslem, Big Z, and Shaq), but series aren't won on lesser players, they are won on the main components.  I don't just post things out of bum or go off memory.  I actually have information and facts on hand. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Rondo had a dislocated elbow, that isn't just some non-factor. It was a death blow to the Celtics chances in that series.

Rondo was the 4th player on the Celtics.  The 4th player on the Heat, played 3 minutes in the entire series. 

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

You are making a fool of yourself here as many others have pointed out. If someone is playing minutes, but playing them banged up and ineffective it really doesn't matter. Also have to wonder why you would consider comparing Haslem and in his prime Rondo. If the forum paid you to say incorrect negative things towards the Celtics to increase posts counts and activity they are geniuses.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Of course I knew most of that information as I had the series stats up (on bball-ref) when I made my previous post (the one a small part was taken of that is the first post in this chain - obviously in my second post I had to look up the rest of Haslem's playoff numbers, but I knew Haslem was an integral player on those teams).  I knew some of the lesser players missed some time (like Haslem, Big Z, and Shaq), but series aren't won on lesser players, they are won on the main components.  I don't just post things out of bum or go off memory.  I actually have information and facts on hand.

So no insight?

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Rondo was the 4th player on the Celtics.  The 4th player on the Heat, played 3 minutes in the entire series.

Worst post ever? Like seriously....

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Its odd to carry on with passively undercutting the Celtics on a Celtics forum after being called out on it several times.  That would affect most people enough to persuade them to stop, maybe save an occasional reactive split or two.

Tarheels, this is a really good point and well said. The routine is beyond stale.