Author Topic: Ray Allen to (still mad) Celtic fans: "Get over it! ... I'll always be a Celtic"  (Read 18557 times)

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If Ray had stayed, he would have been traded away by Ainge like Pierce and Garnett were a year later. Unrestricted free agency is the only time a player truly has some level of control over their destination, and he chose the best situation for him. It's silly to take any of it personally.

Pretty much this^.

I understand fans being mad that he left, but some of the behavior that some have exhibited on twitter and other social media borders on harassment, obsession and outright hate.

Seems to me if you are that emotionally vested in what is, ultimately, supposed to be entertainment, that you find your self feeling that kind of hate/anger/rage/whatever just because a player chose to go to another team, then it's time to step back and self-examine.    It's probably not really Ray Allen that is the source of your problems in life.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Don't love the "Ill always be a Celtic" bit and am rather surprised Ray Allen took the time to go to a Celtics Instagram fanpage to call out salty fans, but I don't hate Ray Allen. Ive got no right to hate Ray Allen. He made what was clearly the best decision for him at the time. He owes the fans and Ainge nothing.

He has a nice players tribune piece that explains a lot of how he is motivated. He writes that he would never really fit in anywhere or be really loved, but he doesn't care about all that and he has to just continue to do what is best for him.

He should take his own advice here. He made the decisions that were best for him and as a result a large portion of the Celtics fanbase wont love him anymore. That's fine. Just like we have no right to demand he stay in Boston, hes got no right to demand that we love him.

Moving to Miami was in hindsight clearly the best decision for his legacy. When his 3 point records are washed away by Curry and Klay he will always have that historic 3 pointer in game 6. He now has another fan base that loves him, but he cant expect Celtics fans to love him. If he cared about us he wouldn't have left. Instead, like any rational man, he didn't care what Celtics fans cared about and instead made the best decision for him and that decision resulted in a lot of Boston fans hating him and that is something hes got to accept.

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Ray helped give us Banner 17...his efforts for the Celtics admirable.

Ray chose to go to Miami, our most hated enemy at the time, even more than the traditional Lakers.  This left a sour taste in the mouth of most Celtics fans.

Today is today though...if you're going to live in the past, choose the past when the 17th banner was hoisted, when the confetti fell, when Pierce kissed the trophy he had been chasing all his career, and the team and town celebrated another championship for Boston.

Everything else is meaningless.

Rak

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The timing here.... Sounds like Ray is the one who needs to get over it. Methinks he's a little in his feelings with us confirming we're retiring #34 for Paul and Gordon coming in and taking his old number.

You're a millionaire, you're confident in the decision you made, why are you arguing on Instagram with people you'll never meet?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The media story was Doc told Allen he had been traded to Memphis--prematurely. Memphis backed out of the deal, leaving Doc with egg on his face. Allen was not happy.

The last year or two, I was not happy with the way Doc was playing (or overplaying) Allen: 35 minutes per game, as a starter in his mid-30s. The team was finishing games poorly, because Doc was pushing his over 30 starters too hard.

What happened to the Celtics after they won in '08 is similar to what happened in '86. The bench shrunk for both teams, "forcing" the coaches (Doc, KC) to play the starters longer. I remember Larry in the late 80s pleading for a couple more guys to take the pressure off the starters. To no avail. Similar situation after '08. Letting Powe, Posey and Perkins go, and not replacing them. Avoiding the luxury tax was a factor.

When Allen signed with the Heat, Riley did the sensible thing in using Allen off the bench, as 6th man, with reduced minutes. Just as Doc should have done with him in Boston. He might have lasted longer there if they had done that.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The media story was Doc told Allen he had been traded to Memphis--prematurely. Memphis backed out of the deal, leaving Doc with egg on his face. Allen was not happy.

The last year or two, I was not happy with the way Doc was playing (or overplaying) Allen: 35 minutes per game, as a starter in his mid-30s. The team was finishing games poorly, because Doc was pushing his over 30 starters too hard.

What happened to the Celtics after they won in '08 is similar to what happened in '86. The bench shrunk for both teams, "forcing" the coaches (Doc, KC) to play the starters longer. I remember Larry in the late 80s pleading for a couple more guys to take the pressure off the starters. To no avail. Similar situation after '08. Letting Powe, Posey and Perkins go, and not replacing them. Avoiding the luxury tax was a factor.

When Allen signed with the Heat, Riley did the sensible thing in using Allen off the bench, as 6th man, with reduced minutes. Just as Doc should have done with him in Boston. He might have lasted longer there if they had done that.

Avery was promoted to started, we wanted to use Allen off the bench. That was allegedly part of the disrespect he felt.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm not surprised to see that some loudmouths here are the same kind of simpletons who think Ray Allen somehow did something wrong.

Ray took the best deal he had and the opportunity to win a title. It stings but those are the facts and I have a difficult time criticizing a guy who wants another ring. With or without Allen the Cs weren't going to get back to that level. He recognized that and left when he had the opportunity. No fuss, no muss.

I think it hurts some people's psyche because his decision forced everyone to realize that the cold, hard truth was that the window had closed on the Big 3. Allen's leaving was the final nail in the coffin but people want to blame him for the body inside that had died 2 seasons prior.

He's not a "Celtic" to me because he was little more than a hired gun and was the lesser of the Big 3. We loved Pierce. We needed KG. But there were 20-30 other players who could have filled Allen's role. His biggest contribution was creating the opportunity to get KG to accept the trade to Boston. So there's no reason to consider raising his jersey to the rafters, no reason to celebrate him - but there's no reason to vilify him either.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
If Ray had stayed, he would have been traded away by Ainge like Pierce and Garnett were a year later. Unrestricted free agency is the only time a player truly has some level of control over their destination, and he chose the best situation for him. It's silly to take any of it personally.

TP Interesting observation!

Danny would have traded him to Miami if he thought the deal was good enough.

Danny actually told Ray he was traded to Memphis, before the deal fell through last minute. No heads up, no input. Just "You're being traded to Memphis". Ray broke the news to his family, but then the deal wasn't finalized.

So no, I don't blame him for leaving. Any rationale person who craved stability for his family (and the medical needs of his son) might have done the same thing.
This is exactly correct and why I never blamed Ray for leaving.  And let's be real here, Boston was done and wasn't a title contender when Ray left.

Ah Moranis, I'd have to disagree. Boston blew the series with Miami.
Let's re-examine it.  Rondo game One led Boston. Re-watch the game.  Down the stretch. The calls were terrible. Even if you are not a Celtic fan. Boston was robbed.

Lebron in Game 6. Heroic effort. But Boston returned to TD Bank-arrogant.
The defensive plan was horrible. The in game adjustments were horrible.  Lebron beat Boston by getting to his spots.  Boston let him.

That series could have been ours. A few off-season moves who is to say that Boston doesn't beat Miami the following year?  But Ray left town.

Pierce-KG in Brooklyn.  That Atlanta series should have gone to Brooklyn.  I would have loved to see Brooklyn-Miami.

Ray Allen-Celtic forever?  Well, I suppose Charlie Scott should have his number retired also then....  Ray can claim Celtic forever, the same way that he is a Buck forever, or a Supersonic  Forever, or a Heatian  (Miami Heat fan)  forever  But he'll never rep Boston.

Hayward has his number.

And so do we.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Danny actually told Ray he was traded to Memphis, before the deal fell through last minute. No heads up, no input. Just "You're being traded to Memphis". Ray broke the news to his family, but then the deal wasn't finalized.

So no, I don't blame him for leaving. Any rationale person who craved stability for his family (and the medical needs of his son) might have done the same thing.
This is exactly correct and why I never blamed Ray for leaving.  And let's be real here, Boston was done and wasn't a title contender when Ray left.

Let's re-examine it.  Rondo game one led Boston. Rewatch the game.  The calls were terrible.
Even if you are not a Celtic fan. Boston was robbed.

The defensive plan was horrible. The in game adjustments were horrible.  Lebron beat Boston by getting to his spots.  Boston let him.

That series could have been ours. A few off-season moves who is to say that Boston doesn't beat Miami the following year?  Rondo's injury certainly hurt those chances.

Pierce-KG in Brooklyn.  That Atlanta series should have gone to Brooklyn.  I would have loved to see Brooklyn-Miami.

Ray Allen-Celtic forever?  Well, I suppose Charlie Scott should have his number retired also then....  He can claim Celtic, the same way that he is a Buck forever, or a Supersonic  Forever, or a Heatian  (Miami Heat fan)  forever  But he'll never rep Boston. Hayward has his number.
And so do we.
Unless Ray Allen was basically the sole reason the team was any good then they were done as a contender.  The following season they were 41-40 and lost in the 1st round to the Knicks.  Ainge then dismantled them the summer after that. 

And there is no question they played the Heat very tough in that series (though Bosh was injured and played just 74 minutes in 3 games), but the C's also barely beat the 8th seeded Sixers (who were only there because of Rose's injury in that first round series).  The C's played their hearts out during that playoffs, but they were done as a contender when Allen left.  Had Bosh been healthy, that is a very different series and I think the fans would have thought of that team differently (remember the prior year a healthy Heat beat a healthy Celtics team in 5 games).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I do not understand those who say fans should not express their feelings or ire against players.

These players make millions because of these same fans. Fans feelings is what leads grown men to behave like children and buy jerseys with players names on it. It is what makes grown men argue with their friends over players and teams. It makes grown men fight their wives, ditch work, miss important family and friend occasions because a game is on, and it makes grown men spend the value of mortgages or rent to watch a game. How dare anyone tell fans not to express their feelings.

Also, Ray Allen was offered more money and a no-trade to stay in Boston, but he left anyway to a heated rival. Some say it was out of spite. I do not know if it was, but assuming he did it to spite Boston, then he achieved his purpose. Why is he surprised that he achieved his purpose?

If he meant no harm to the fans or the team. Did he talk to his teammates? Did he pen a letter to the fans explaining his decision. If he did not think they deserved it at the time, why does he think they owe him anything now.

Fans make the teams and the players.... they have the absolute right to their feelings. You do not like it, dont take the fans 'money'.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ray's right.

Too many people made this emotional and have been irrational on the subject.  Who cares. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Let's re-examine it.  Rondo game one led Boston. Rewatch the game.  The calls were terrible.
Even if you are not a Celtic fan. Boston was robbed.

That series could have been ours. A few off-season moves who is to say that Boston doesn't beat Miami the following year?  Rondo's injury certainly hurt those chances.

Ray Allen-Celtic forever?  Well, I suppose Charlie Scott should have his number retired also then....  He can claim Celtic, the same way that he is a Buck forever, or a Supersonic  Forever, or a Heatian  (Miami Heat fan)  forever  But he'll never rep Boston. Hayward has his number.
And so do we.
Unless Ray Allen was basically the sole reason the team was any good then they were done as a contender.  The following season they were 41-40 and lost in the 1st round to the Knicks.  Ainge then dismantled them the summer after that. 

And there is no question they played the Heat very tough in that series (though Bosh was injured and played just 74 minutes in 3 games), but the C's also barely beat the 8th seeded Sixers (who were only there because of Rose's injury in that first round series).  The C's played their hearts out during that playoffs, but they were done as a contender when Allen left.  Had Bosh been healthy, that is a very different series and I think the fans would have thought of that team differently (remember the prior year a healthy Heat beat a healthy Celtics team in 5 games).

TP. The Cs had one last charge in them when they faced Miami but it took an absolute career performance by Rondo and Bosh being out to make it close. And the only reason they had that much left in the tank was that was a strike shortened season. If that season goes 82 games I doubt they even get by Philly that year.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Try to take the sports fandom out of it, and inject more of the "business".

Say your boss comes in, and says you're fired, or you're being transferred against your will to a really undesirable location.  You tell your family, and then your boss comes back and says "nevermind, we can't do that after all."  Four months later, you get a job offer from a rival company, that promises you a better standard of living than you had previously, and which really seems to embrace and respect you and what you can do for the organization.

How many of us say, "Even though my current employer tried to terminate me, I'm still loyal, and would never join a rival company"?

I wouldn't, and I suspect the vast majority of Celtics fans -- or people in general -- wouldn't, either.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
(remember the prior year a healthy Heat beat a healthy Celtics team in 5 games).

You mean the team that had an injured Shaq, a mostly injured Jermaine O'Neal, and Rondo playing with one arm?

Yeah, your idea of a healthy Celtics team doesn't hold water. You're an odd individual.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Try to take the sports fandom out of it

Well then what is the point of watching and rooting for a particular team?

Sorry, but it doesn't work this way and you know it. Fandom is a crucial part of sports and the main reason why these athletes make as much money as they do.

Personally, I think Ray should just shut his mouth and enjoy his millions of dollars and multiple championship rings. He isn't winning back the majority of the Celtics fan base and he needs to get over it.