Author Topic: Ray Allen to (still mad) Celtic fans: "Get over it! ... I'll always be a Celtic"  (Read 18559 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://mobile.twitter.com/CelticsJunkies/status/888220457165631488

These were the comments he made on instagram: "Y'all need to get over it!!! where were you all when the team tried to trade me. It's a business, we go where it's necessary just like you all do in your jobs!!!!I will always be a Celtic no matter what any of you say. Get over it!!!!"

"Marc I don't need your respect. I worked my ass off everyday to put myself in a position to win and if a team doesn't recognize that then you keep it moving. You only know what you choose to listen to. I've lost respect for everyone on this feed that insists on being negative. For 5 years I have you everything I had!!!!!!!!!! I guess banner 17 wasn't good enough!!!!!!!"

Also another interesting nugget of info: on twitter,  @MiamiHEAT & @Bucks congratulate Ray Allen on his BDAY, but @celtics didn't..

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't get Allen.... He says the fans should get over it because it's business. And he is right although imho his becision was based on personal issues rather than pure business. Anyway in any case it was his business 100% and (I hope he) did what was best for him.

But at the same time he fails to realise that for the fans is more than that. The fans don't earn millions. They just want to feel proud for their team, they support anyone who wears their colors and everyone else is just irrelevant or even enemy.

So Ray made a decision and he should live with the consequences just like he enjoys his second ring

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Of course we have to get over it, the man is right.
But before we do, he deserves all these years of treatment (from fans and KG/Rondo)
Whatever his reasons, you don't give up on your (champions) teammates just to go with the number 1 enemy for an easy ring. The guy is like KD, he doesn't get the main point.

No mister Allen, you are not a Celtics. It just happen that you won a ring in Boston, that's all.
A Celtics sacrifices for the team. You exactly did the opposite.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Saruman decided to join the dark lord Sauron because he thought it was the best decision at the time. After the ring was destroyed, was Middle Earth supposed to honor him because of his previous years of being good?

In the same way, Ray Allen joined the Heat because he thought that was the best decision at the time. That's his choice. Cool. Now, it just so happened that real life doesn't always work like the books/movies and in real life, the proverbial and literal ring fell in the hands of the dark lord Riley/Lebron. It sucks but them's the breaks. When it's all said and done though, Saruman can't expect a hero's welcome when he goes back to the Shire. Maybe if he fought beside us even when the temptation of the ring was great, but no, he folded. That's the difference between SaRayman and Kevin Gandalf.

I think I might've taken this analogy too far.
- LilRip

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Screw you ray allen..I hope they retire kg, rondo and pierce's..and hell perkins jersey and leave you out of it. Go get your jersey retired in Miami Judas Shuttleworth.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
If Ray had stayed, he would have been traded away by Ainge like Pierce and Garnett were a year later. Unrestricted free agency is the only time a player truly has some level of control over their destination, and he chose the best situation for him. It's silly to take any of it personally.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
After all these years, I'm indifferent.

Sure, Allen has a point, Ainge does treat players like pawns when it suits him.

But using the "professionalism" argument to fans is not going to work. Of course, I get it that Allen wants to protect his financial interests like any other pro athlete, but it's not like I'm getting paid to support this team. Fans have other motivations.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
If Ray had stayed, he would have been traded away by Ainge like Pierce and Garnett were a year later. Unrestricted free agency is the only time a player truly has some level of control over their destination, and he chose the best situation for him. It's silly to take any of it personally.

That's one narrative. I heard another one that Ainge was offering him a no trade clause.
Anyway the point is, understanding Ray and his reasons is one thing. But I don't have to approve or be ok with it.
As a fan, I think he quit on his teammates. That's a fact and I chose to hate the move.
I believe KG and Rondo did as well.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Saruman decided to join the dark lord Sauron because he thought it was the best decision at the time. After the ring was destroyed, was Middle Earth supposed to honor him because of his previous years of being good?

In the same way, Ray Allen joined the Heat because he thought that was the best decision at the time. That's his choice. Cool. Now, it just so happened that real life doesn't always work like the books/movies and in real life, the proverbial and literal ring fell in the hands of the dark lord Riley/Lebron. It sucks but them's the breaks. When it's all said and done though, Saruman can't expect a hero's welcome when he goes back to the Shire. Maybe if he fought beside us even when the temptation of the ring was great, but no, he folded. That's the difference between SaRayman and Kevin Gandalf.

I think I might've taken this analogy too far.

The Analogy is perfect.

If Ray has the right to be p---ed at the Celtics for trying to trade him (even though Rondo, and to an extent, Pierce were targets of trade rumors as well), then the fans similarly have the right to hate him.

Ray was always glorified to be the consummate professional, yet he showed his true colors in different ways.

He got mad he was benched in favor of Bradley, despite us playing better that way.
He got mad he was included in trade offers, even though Rondo was as well.
He wasnt happy having reduced role, and mostly blamed it on Rondo, even though he has clearly declined.

Him leaving for our rivals who just beat us, for a worse offer than the one we were offering is just icing on the cake.

Get over it Ray, some of us will always hate you!

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Judas is still considered a disciple, right?   So he may be on to something.  JK

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

TP Interesting observation!

Danny would have traded him to Miami if he thought the deal was good enough. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I still respect Ray.

The only thing that he did that I don't love is that he didn't talk with KG and Pierce before moving on. But, Hayward didn't tell his teammates either, so who knows?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

TP Interesting observation!

Danny would have traded him to Miami if he thought the deal was good enough.

Danny actually told Ray he was traded to Memphis, before the deal fell through last minute. No heads up, no input. Just "You're being traded to Memphis". Ray broke the news to his family, but then the deal wasn't finalized.

So no, I don't blame him for leaving. Any rationale person who craved stability for his family (and the medical needs of his son) might have done the same thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I still respect Ray.

The only thing that he did that I don't love is that he didn't talk with KG and Pierce before moving on. But, Hayward didn't tell his teammates either, so who knows?
This.

I'm over it but I still hate that he made that shot to kill the Spurs.
Peace through Tyranny

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He says he will always be a Celtic?  Why?  He played for like 75 teams in his career.