Author Topic: Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?  (Read 5005 times)

Re: Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
First, I don't think a lot of GMs would have Jaylen outside the top 10 in a re-draft. That is a preposterous statement.

Also, I agree with others where Danny references last year's rookie class (because Jaylen was a rookie), but then uses the more general term, "kids," referring to younger players overall when explaining he wouldn't trade Jaylen for very many of them.

I think this was meant to be a compliment, but Danny still knows he Jaylen has a lot of work to do. Hopefully he is doing just that.

Re: Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 10:37:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
You're reading this wrong. This is Ainge saying that Brown is underrated by the league. Saying there are only a few kids is a throwaway saying that there are few guys on rookie contracts that he would trade Brown for, not just his rookie class. And he says 'a few' because he isn't about to list names.

Brown is underrated around the league, so Ainge's comments fit.
He didn't say rookie contracts, he said rookies.

He changes his wording to kids which to me makes it more ambiguous. Even so that would include Saric and Embiid given it was their rookie years. And you have a guy like Brogdon who at this stage is more developed. I don't see anything wrong with his statement.
This is not ambiguous

“And like last year, there’s very few rookies — I don’t even remember the whole rookie class last year — but there’s very few kids I would trade Jaylen Brown for, and yet I think most of the world would say he’s like not even in the top 10 of rookies from last year’s class. But we wouldn’t trade him for almost any of those guys.”

so he says rookies, then rookie class, then kids, the rookies from last year's class.

He pretty clearly is talking about rookies, the only ambiguity is whether Embiid and Saric are "rookies" since they arguably were not in the "rookie class".

What are you talking about man?

He's pretty clearly talking about rookies when he says "rookies".......  How are you going assume he's pretty clearly talking about rookies when he says "kids"?  Just because he happened to say rookie in the surrounding sentences?

It's only confusing because he cuts himself off with the not remembering the whole class comment.  Read it like this:

"And like last year, there’s very few rookies [who impress me].   There’s very few kids I would trade Jaylen Brown for, and yet I think most of the world would say he’s like not even in the top 10 of rookies from last year’s class."

For all we know that could mean he wouldn't trade Brown for anybody in the past 2 classes, though he'd still obviously trade him for someone like Zinger or Towns.
it is the same sentence not surrounding sentences and it obvious from the overall statement he was talking about rookies
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip