Author Topic: Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?  (Read 5002 times)

Re: Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 07:23:46 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You're reading this wrong. This is Ainge saying that Brown is underrated by the league. Saying there are only a few kids is a throwaway saying that there are few guys on rookie contracts that he would trade Brown for, not just his rookie class. And he says 'a few' because he isn't about to list names.

Brown is underrated around the league, so Ainge's comments fit.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 07:25:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't read it that way.  Where/when did Ainge say this?  Intent may just be to light a fire under his butt.  The starting SG spot is his to take, if he can prove he's even close to ready.  For his own confidence, I think he'll feel pressured to make a leap with Tatum showing so much skill so early.  He's got a ton of potential, just has to lock in and develop the skills that weren't required for him to dominate in HS and college.
Except he never dominated in college.  He kind of sucked.

I think Ainge is just trying to say most people underrate Brown, but he thinks very highly of him.  I just think he was a little clumsy in making his point.  No big deal.

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't read it that way.  Where/when did Ainge say this?  Intent may just be to light a fire under his butt.  The starting SG spot is his to take, if he can prove he's even close to ready.  For his own confidence, I think he'll feel pressured to make a leap with Tatum showing so much skill so early.  He's got a ton of potential, just has to lock in and develop the skills that weren't required for him to dominate in HS and college.
Except he never dominated in college. He kind of sucked.

I think Ainge is just trying to say most people underrate Brown, but he thinks very highly of him.  I just think he was a little clumsy in making his point.  No big deal.

He was PAC-12 Freshman of the Year and 1st Team All-PAC-12.  Your assessment is off.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Except he never dominated in college. He kind of sucked.

He was PAC-12 Freshman of the Year and 1st Team All-PAC-12.  Your assessment is off.
OK, you are right.  I'll change that to "he shot poorly and underperformed based on his expectations." 

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 07:57:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why should Danny pretend that Jaylen is the best prospect from last year? He's not.

Danny was paying Brown a compliment, without completely overrating him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Ainge on Brown:

“And like last year, there’s very few rookies — I don’t even remember the whole rookie class last year — but there’s very few kids I would trade Jaylen Brown for, and yet I think most of the world would say he’s like not even in the top 10 of rookies from last year’s class. But we wouldn’t trade him for almost any of those guys.”

I'd be pretty p---ed if I was Jaylen hearing that there might be a fellow rookie classmate, or even "a very FEW" who Danny would be willing to trade me for after 78 games of basketball...

I don't see anything wrong with this comment.  Embiid was a rookie last year.  Would you not trade Jaylen straight up for him right now?  Same with Simmons.  The talent he has is off the charts.  I love Jaylen and hope he is a Celtic for a long time but IMO this shows how much they value Jaylen versus it being a slap in the face.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Why should Danny pretend that Jaylen is the best prospect from last year? He's not.

Danny was paying Brown a compliment, without completely overrating him.

That's kind of a foreign concept around here, lol.

I like Brown, I'm excited about his future. But if the Sixers called and offered Simmons, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe the subtext (or context) is that the NBA is a business and Danny trades people if he thinks it's a good idea

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 11:35:41 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Simmons and Ingram are still better prospects than Brown. They are the only 2 I'd trade jaylen for.

You would seriously do that now if offered? A straight up swap?

Are my green goggles super steamy this morning????

I like JB over Ingram. I'd prob take Simmons over JB, though I don't love his injury and LSU's record when he was there.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You're reading this wrong. This is Ainge saying that Brown is underrated by the league. Saying there are only a few kids is a throwaway saying that there are few guys on rookie contracts that he would trade Brown for, not just his rookie class. And he says 'a few' because he isn't about to list names.

He didn't say rookie contracts, he said rookies. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

He didn't say rookies, he said kids.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

He changes his wording to kids which to me makes it more ambiguous. Even so that would include Saric and Embiid given it was their rookie years. And you have a guy like Brogdon who at this stage is more developed. I don't see anything wrong with his statement.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He changes his wording to kids which to me makes it more ambiguous. Even so that would include Saric and Embiid given it was their rookie years. And you have a guy like Brogdon who at this stage is more developed. I don't see anything wrong with his statement.
This is not ambiguous

“And like last year, there’s very few rookies — I don’t even remember the whole rookie class last year — but there’s very few kids I would trade Jaylen Brown for, and yet I think most of the world would say he’s like not even in the top 10 of rookies from last year’s class. But we wouldn’t trade him for almost any of those guys.”

so he says rookies, then rookie class, then kids, the rookies from last year's class.

He pretty clearly is talking about rookies, the only ambiguity is whether Embiid and Saric are "rookies" since they arguably were not in the "rookie class".
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
He's basically saying if you had a redraft of the rookies, a lot of other people would have him outside the top 10, but he would put him near the top.

He does a similar thing after drafting players talking about how they were near the top of his draft board.

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

This is not ambiguous

so he says rookies, then rookie class, then kids, the rookies from last year's class.

He pretty clearly is talking about rookies, the only ambiguity is whether Embiid and Saric are "rookies" since they arguably were not in the "rookie class".

What are you talking about man?

He's pretty clearly talking about rookies when he says "rookies".......  How are you going assume he's pretty clearly talking about rookies when he says "kids"?  Just because he happened to say rookie in the surrounding sentences?

It's only confusing because he cuts himself off with the not remembering the whole class comment.  Read it like this:

"And like last year, there’s very few rookies [who impress me].   There’s very few kids I would trade Jaylen Brown for, and yet I think most of the world would say he’s like not even in the top 10 of rookies from last year’s class."

For all we know that could mean he wouldn't trade Brown for anybody in the past 2 classes, though he'd still obviously trade him for someone like Zinger or Towns.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:53:26 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale