Author Topic: Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?  (Read 4984 times)

Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?
« on: July 21, 2017, 12:41:18 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Ainge on Brown:

“And like last year, there’s very few rookies — I don’t even remember the whole rookie class last year — but there’s very few kids I would trade Jaylen Brown for, and yet I think most of the world would say he’s like not even in the top 10 of rookies from last year’s class. But we wouldn’t trade him for almost any of those guys.”

I'd be pretty p---ed if I was Jaylen hearing that there might be a fellow rookie classmate, or even "a very FEW" who Danny would be willing to trade me for after 78 games of basketball...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Is it just me or could there be subtext in this comment?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Wonder who he would actually trade him for? Simmons? Ingram? Ingram didn't look good and Simmons isn't overly impressive

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:57:08 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Wonder who he would actually trade him for? Simmons? Ingram? Ingram didn't look good and Simmons isn't overly impressive

Exactly, and like, we haven't seen a single minute from Simmons yet. It just seems an uncharacteristically clumsy comment. Even more than clumsy, potentially seriously stupid.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:01:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Simmons and Ingram are still better prospects than Brown. They are the only 2 I'd trade jaylen for.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:02:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
For the record, there is no-one that this armchair GM would trade him for in that class. Although a package of Papagiannis, Hield, and Labissierre offer probably get you a phone-call, but maybe only just so I can gloat that I have Jaylen...

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 01:03:42 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Simmons and Ingram are still better prospects than Brown. They are the only 2 I'd trade jaylen for.

You would seriously do that now if offered? A straight up swap?

Are my green goggles super steamy this morning????

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 01:08:16 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't read it that way.  Where/when did Ainge say this?  Intent may just be to light a fire under his butt.  The starting SG spot is his to take, if he can prove he's even close to ready.  For his own confidence, I think he'll feel pressured to make a leap with Tatum showing so much skill so early.  He's got a ton of potential, just has to lock in and develop the skills that weren't required for him to dominate in HS and college.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
He was just trying to say Brown was underrated and pay him a compliment while not trying to sound like a total PR guy homer (e.g. "Jaylen is by far the best player in his class!"). I appreciate Ainge always trying to be as candid as he can be in interviews. I believe he likes Brown a lot but let's not go crazy here, Simmons was still the prize of last year's draft and 30 of 30 GMs would deal Brown for Simmons still if they were in Ainge's position.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 01:13:49 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
I don't read it that way.  Where/when did Ainge say this?  Intent may just be to light a fire under his butt.  The starting SG spot is his to take, if he can prove he's even close to ready.  For his own confidence, I think he'll feel pressured to make a leap with Tatum showing so much skill so early.  He's got a ton of potential, just has to lock in and develop the skills that weren't required for him to dominate in HS and college.

Like just putting him on notice that Jeff Green will not be tolerated?

I hope so.

Seems like through those weird workout vids, he is putting in big hours developing his handle.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 01:18:53 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Like just putting him on notice that Jeff Green will not be tolerated?

I hope so.

Seems like through those weird workout vids, he is putting in big hours developing his handle.

Maybe.  Feels like he's being pushed along faster than would be expected of a lot of guys relative to playing time.  But his ability to develop as a 2 would be huge for us.  And then there's Hayward (and Crowder) eating mins at the 3, with Tatum showing a lot of refined skill so early on. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 01:49:18 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Translation: Overall, only a few rookies from last years draft class stick out, and Jaylen is one of those rookies, despite the consensus that he is otherwise. There are only a handful of "kids" (players from the last few drafts) that Danny would trade him for. 

this statement from Danny seems very complementary of Jaylen.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:51:20 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He was just trying to say Brown was underrated and pay him a compliment while not trying to sound like a total PR guy homer (e.g. "Jaylen is by far the best player in his class!"). I appreciate Ainge always trying to be as candid as he can be in interviews. I believe he likes Brown a lot but let's not go crazy here, Simmons was still the prize of last year's draft and 30 of 30 GMs would deal Brown for Simmons still if they were in Ainge's position.
Pretty much this.  And for the record, I would definitely trade Brown for Ingram.  I guess probably Simmons too but harder to say because we have not seen him. 

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 03:08:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Translation: Overall, only a few rookies from last years draft class stick out, and Jaylen is one of those rookies, despite the consensus that he is otherwise. There are only a handful of "kids" (players from the last few drafts) that Danny would trade him for. 

Not quite sure how you take that inference away from the comment. Can you explain?

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 03:49:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

Ah, yes, I read it again carefully, and I see what you mean.

It is still a super clumsy comment.

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:57:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Much ado about nothing.

For the record, I wouldn't trade Brown for Ingram.  Simmons is hard to judge until we've seen him play real NBA games.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:14:40 AM by Surferdad »