Author Topic: Jaylen Brown comps  (Read 7512 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown comps
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
"Angry Harrison Barnes"

That would be a heck of a player.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 09:58:33 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Ceiling is Corey Maggette 2.0 in my opinion.  Maggette with more focus on defense and an improved outside shot would be a terrific player.  This projection is very optimistic, but it builds on skills that Jaylen has already demonstrated to some degree. 

I don't like the Iguodala comparison.  Iggy could play point.  He could handle the ball, read the defense and make the right pass.  Right now, Jaylen has work to do in those areas to even become average.  Let's see him become adequate at it before we expect him to be great at it. 

Similarly, he's not like Pippen.  Pippen was a box score stuffer - great passer, rebounder, defender.  Dude averaged 16/6/5/2 for his career, and that's including his decline years when he didn't look to score anymore.  A swiss army knife.  I don't expect that sort of rounded, overall impact from Jaylen.

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The naysayers think we should judge JB on his own, and comparisons are fruitless. I like to compare people.

I've heard comps like Jimmy Butler or even potentially Kawhi. I just watched his highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agFeRAP4bco

Do you think there's any resemblance to Dominique? I know it seems blasphemous to compare such young unproven players to nba legends, but Brown is electric. He looks like he can jump out of the stadium. He will most definitely need to improve as a shooter AND will need to learn how to dribble a basketball. Other than that, he looks like the most agile and aggressive player on the court. With his work ethic, I think he'll become a really good player.

Upside: Dominique
Somewhere in between: Andre Iguodala
Downside: Jae Crowder
Been saying 'Nique for a year man
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Watching that video sure reminds me of how good he can be.  Very excited about this coming season.  I hope he starts.  There will be a lot of space for him to operate with Hayward on the team.  Plus he will bring quickness and length to a starting lineup that otherwise is lacking in those qualities. And he is a quality rebounder.  I expect him to start.

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Brown is no sure fire star, that's for sure.  Just too many holes in his game to make that kind of bet.  Right now he's trending like a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

The two things that made Gilchrist an underachiever were never having any outside shot whatsoever, and not improving after his rookie year.

Brown made seven 3 pointers in his first 12 games (and 46 for the season at 34%). MKG has 7 in his career (21%).

Brown hasn't started his 2nd year yet.

One dissimilar year other than raw numbers ain't a trend.

He's already a lot better than MKG ever was.

Rookie stats are quite noisy (inconsistent playing time, most top rookies are on terrible teams, etc) but so far Brown looks like a cross between Wilkens and Butler as a ceiling..

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
His highlights look good.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Has all the gift and high IQ .   He needs to work on his skills .    Shooting a million shots a day , footwork and handle .  Needs a few post moves to get his shot over the 6-10 guys.

if he could shoot better , he reminds me alittle of Danny.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Physically. I see a lot of Jeff Hornacek in him.  Talent-wise, Tom Gugliotta.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Jayrome Kersey :)

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Wilkins had not 1 but 2 seasons where he averaged over 30 PPG, and averaged 24.8 PPG for his career.  I think it's very wishful thinking.  Maybe a poor man's Wilkins.

Gerald Wilkins?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Physically. I see a lot of Jeff Hornacek in him.  Talent-wise, Tom Gugliotta.

I would be thrilled to have a Jeff Hornacek level guy on this team, but has to be one of the strangest comps I've ever heard..

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I see a lot of Gerald Wallace in Jaylen on both ends of the court.

I'd be thrilled if he hit prime GW territory.
ok fine

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Has all the gift and high IQ .   He needs to work on his skills .    Shooting a million shots a day , footwork and handle .  Needs a few post moves to get his shot over the 6-10 guys.

if he could shoot better , he reminds me alittle of Danny.
This is the kind of thing that gets to me.  As it is, high basketball IQ is fairly poor, even for a rookie.  And these 'nique comparisons are ridiculous.  As for the MKG comp I made, Brown is a better shooter.  And thus, could (and probably should) become a better player.  But he's got a long, long, way to go before he even becomes a good player.  He was pretty bad in summer league.  So talent?  Sure.  But you have to use quite a bit of your imagination (improved handle, improve shooting, improved Bball IQ, etc.) to project him as a star right.  He may never get there.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Wilkins had not 1 but 2 seasons where he averaged over 30 PPG, and averaged 24.8 PPG for his career.  I think it's very wishful thinking.  Maybe a poor man's Wilkins.

Gerald Wilkins?

Maybe some middle ground or hybrid between Dominque and Gerald, but not Dominque solely.  That's crazy talk.  Dominque was a scoring machine.

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
being a zona alum and having watched players come and go and develop, i'm excited by Brown stage of play right now.   i think it's ahead of iggy and richard jeffersons.