Author Topic: Jaylen Brown comps  (Read 7488 times)

Jaylen Brown comps
« on: July 21, 2017, 12:13:21 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The naysayers think we should judge JB on his own, and comparisons are fruitless. I like to compare people.

I've heard comps like Jimmy Butler or even potentially Kawhi. I just watched his highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agFeRAP4bco

Do you think there's any resemblance to Dominique? I know it seems blasphemous to compare such young unproven players to nba legends, but Brown is electric. He looks like he can jump out of the stadium. He will most definitely need to improve as a shooter AND will need to learn how to dribble a basketball. Other than that, he looks like the most agile and aggressive player on the court. With his work ethic, I think he'll become a really good player.

Upside: Dominique
Somewhere in between: Andre Iguodala
Downside: MKG
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:26:33 AM by green_bballers13 »

Re: Jaylen Brown comps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
The naysayers think we should judge JB on his own, and comparisons are fruitless. I like to compare people.

I've heard comps like Jimmy Butler or even potentially Kawhi. I just watched his highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agFeRAP4bco

Do you think there's any resemblance to Dominique? I know it seems blasphemous to compare such young unproven players to nba legends, but Brown is electric. He looks like he can jump out of the stadium. He will most definitely need to improve as a shooter AND will need to learn how to dribble a basketball. Other than that, he looks like the most agile and aggressive player on the court. With his work ethic, I think he'll become a really good player.

Upside: Dominique
Somewhere in between: Andre Iguodala
Downside: Jae Crowder

Crowder? He is literally almost nothing like Crowder.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:52:29 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
You're right.

I was trying to think of a decent defensive player with an average to below average offensive game. Kidd Gilchrist maybe.

Beyond that, care to give your opinion?

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:57:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Brown is no sure fire star, that's for sure.  Just too many holes in his game to make that kind of bet.  Right now he's trending like a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 02:28:41 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Brown is no sure fire star, that's for sure.  Just too many holes in his game to make that kind of bet.  Right now he's trending like a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

The two things that made Gilchrist an underachiever were never having any outside shot whatsoever, and not improving after his rookie year.

Brown made seven 3 pointers in his first 12 games (and 46 for the season at 34%). MKG has 7 in his career (21%).

Brown hasn't started his 2nd year yet.

One dissimilar year other than raw numbers ain't a trend.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:56:08 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Marcus Smart's pass for the alley-oop is just sick.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 04:51:09 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • The Truth
downside has to be like...Gerald Green or something, right?

I love this kid, and the NBA better watch out for the Smart/Brown/Tatum trio...
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 06:55:48 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Wilkins had not 1 but 2 seasons where he averaged over 30 PPG, and averaged 24.8 PPG for his career.  I think it's very wishful thinking.  Maybe a poor man's Wilkins.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 07:51:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jason Richardson/Iguadala comparison sound good

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I think one of the most common but inaccurate comparisons is Andre Iguodala. Iggy played point forward for a majority of his career with the Sixers and occupies that role similarly with the GSW. Iggy's passing and handle are his most outstanding offensive features which are two of the biggest knocks against Jaylen right now. If there is one thing holding Jaylen back other than maybe his defensive awareness it would be his ball handling skills. I don't see Jaylen playing the same role that Iggy has for the majority of his career.

NBADraft.com cited Jason Richardson as a comparable player and I can see the similarity in their athleticism and finishing ability. Richardson wasn't quite the ball handler that Iggy is, but he was decent enough and was a strong scorer, good playmaker (not on Iggy's level), and flourished in an uptempo system (i.e., GSW). I can see some similarities.

The most common comparison is Jimmy Butler and I can see it to a certain extent on the offensive end, but I can't envision Jaylen being on his level defensively.

There are some players who have clear cut comparisons (e.g., Tatum/Parker and Carmelo; Ball and Kidd), but I feel that Jaylen is too raw of a prospect to know what we're getting. He has a lot of potential due to his size and athleticism and he does have some strong skills that translate well (e.g., finishing; straight line drives) and some flashes on brilliance that could be mastered (e.g., post-up game; on-ball defense), but as of right now I think it's hard to even project what kind of prospect he is. He could be an all-star or sitting on the bench in ten years.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm going to go with Pippen! Of course I'm not saying he will be Pippen but at this point he kind of reminds me a little of him. Very athletic not a great shooter the way Pippen came into the league. He could become a very good defensive player and get better on offense. One can dream hehehe.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd be perfectly happy if he turned into a more aggressive Otto Porter.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I'd say the Kidd-Gilchrist comp would make sense prior to the 2016 draft, but having watched his rookie season, that comp doesn't make sense at all.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
"Angry Harrison Barnes"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Jason Richardson/Iguadala comparison sound good

Not bad. He can probably get to the line like Iguodala and shoot from outside like Richardson. He can still improve ball handling and passing, but I don't expect him to ever get to Iguodala levels there. His quick first step will make up for it on drives, but he won't be the same level playmaker. Could be a better scorer, worse playmaker than Iguodala with about the same defensive potential.