Author Topic: Celtics officially sign Yabusele  (Read 8990 times)

Re: Celtics officially sign Yabusele
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yabu vs Greensboro last year (D League) ...cracks me up for some reason

Yabu is like a bowling ball.  Guys are flying around... what a beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOqJCHmQ4fA

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yabu vs Greensboro last year (D League) ...cracks me up for some reason

Yabu is like a bowling ball.  Guys are flying around... what a beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOqJCHmQ4fA

People forget he played in D League with bone spurs. Wait until he is healthy. Will be in starting lineup within 2 seasons.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:23 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Everyone wants him to be Draymond Green, but the Celtics comp I'd settle for: a fit Jared Sullinger.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 11:33:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Everyone wants him to be Draymond Green, but the Celtics comp I'd settle for: a fit Jared Sullinger.
A fit Sully could've been a ZBO type player, so if we end up with that I'd be ecstatic.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 12:07:12 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
A fit Sully could've been a ZBO type player, so if we end up with that I'd be ecstatic.

Exactly.

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

Definitely don't see ZBO with Yabs game... more like a softer David West with 3-point range. Honestly he needs another season of development... I think far too often we tout prospects and hype simple achievements without truly analyzing the video... in D league the box score is the least of a prospect concern

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Definitely don't see ZBO with Yabs game... more like a softer David West with 3-point range. Honestly he needs another season of development... I think far too often we tout prospects and hype simple achievements without truly analyzing the video... in D league the box score is the least of a prospect concern
Neither do I really, ZBO is much more of an interior banger than I see Yab being. A softer West with more range wouldn't be bad at all, but I do agree that he needs more development before we rely on him for actual contributions.

I'm still excited about him though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 12:40:36 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

The point of a comp is to project the player. We all know he's not David West or Zach Randolph today.

However, he's a wide body PF around 6'8" who has a decent outside shot and plays mostly below the rim. ZBO (who has a strong midrange game but didn't come up in the stretch-4 era) and Sully thus come to mind.

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2017, 06:26:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

You would be happy if he ate himself out the league?  Didn't stay in shape during the season and ballooned up the 325 lbs?

Yabu can shoot, Sully could not.   Sully could rebound and Yabu has not demonstrated high skill in that area.

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 07:26:45 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The way Yabusele moves reminds me of Antoine. He's got the wide body but he's still light on his feet, looks like he's always playing on his toes.

If he's Antoine Walker 2.0, with a better work ethic, he'll be awesome.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

You would be happy if he ate himself out the league?  Didn't stay in shape during the season and ballooned up the 325 lbs?

Yabu can shoot, Sully could not.   Sully could rebound and Yabu has not demonstrated high skill in that area.

Do you know the meaning of the word FIT?

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The way Yabusele moves reminds me of Antoine. He's got the wide body but he's still light on his feet, looks like he's always playing on his toes.

TP. A 'Toine with a better work ethic can be a 2nd option on a contender or a 3rd option on a superteam like GSW.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 08:45:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP. A 'Toine with a better work ethic can be a 2nd option on a contender or a 3rd option on a superteam like GSW.

Antoine was already the 3rd option on a championship team (Miami with Shaq/Wade) and was a top 2 option on our competitive teams of the early 2000s.

The work ethic thing confuses me, though. Is it because he shot so many 3s? Antoine was clearly the emotional leader of the Cs on and off the court and was a complete all-around player. I suppose he could have been more disciplined, but if Yabu turns into anywhere near the quality of a player like Antoine, then we should all consider ourselves very lucky.

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
The Sullinger comparisons are the most accurate I've heard so far. Make no mistake: Yabs is a BIG. He won't be able to move his feet on the perimeter like a Draymond Green, or for that matter like a Semi Ojeleye. He just doesn't have that type of quickness at his size and weight. I see him more as a small-ball 5 than a "swing"-type player.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The Sullinger comparisons are the most accurate I've heard so far. Make no mistake: Yabs is a BIG. He won't be able to move his feet on the perimeter like a Draymond Green, or for that matter like a Semi Ojeleye. He just doesn't have that type of quickness at his size and weight. I see him more as a small-ball 5 than a "swing"-type player.

Agree completely. I'm surprised by the number of people on this board who think that physics and biomechanical limits don't apply to Yabu. he's listed at 270. That is 35 pounds heavier than Draymond. That kind of mass has a lot of inertia behind it, and making it change directions at speed requires incredible force. Expecting him to move like a wing is asking him to do the impossible.

Also - carrying that much weight out on the wing takes a huge toll on the body. He's got a foot injury now that kept him out of summer league. When a player that size starts having foot injuries, I start to think his future isn't going to be very bright. This isn't Steph Curry strengthening his weak ankles; this is Steph Curry carrying an 80-pound pack out on the perimeter.

A few more comparisons - Sully, who is taller, is listed at 260 or 265 in different sources. Brook Lopez is listed at 265. That's how big Yabu is.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:32:56 AM by Sophomore »