Author Topic: Shane Larkin signs with Celtics  (Read 20709 times)

Re: Shane Larkin signs with Celtics
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
There is only one thing to see here.

Thomas is injured, there will probably be still another point guard in camp also.

Ainge has Smart and Rozier...both of them are sorta ok point guards who are better playing next to a real point guard or even backing one up. Let's throw a couple more into the mix.

Ainge loves small, low scoring point guards....hooray, he's got another.

It's a tactical move, the Spanish league is gonna be turned upside down by this signing.

Shane Larkin with Celtics---6 minutes per game. He's going to back up one of the back ups. Sheesh. (if I keep this up, he'll end up starting game 7 in the ECF and hit like 8 threes)

What about contracts? Somebody gets cut before the season starts. Happens all the time....wait a minute...how about we just cut Larkin before the season starts?
Ainge loves this, Ainge loves that... it's getting old.  If he can't find someone with ideal size and skills at any position he is forced to settle for someone with less than ideal size and skills.  That goes for every position.  If every player were perfect, every player would be 1st team all NBA.  The Celtics can't have 15 guys make the 5 man 1st team all NBA.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:18:34 AM by moiso »

« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2017, 02:08:19 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If you want to re-familiarize yourself with "SugaShane":

https://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/8/4401366/shane-larkin-scouting-report-nba-draft-2013

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1691814-shane-larkin-primer-everything-you-need-to-know-about-newest-dallas-maverick

"-Shane Larkin's value proposition at the next level is simple, he created more combined points on the pick and roll for himself and his teammates last season than any prospect in the country at 14.3 points per-game. Playing in a pick and roll heavy, pro-style offense, Larkin kept defenses honest with his jump shot, which ranks second most efficient in this group at 1.137 points per-shot, and showed excellent command of the ball, turning the ball over on just 11.3% of his possessions creating in the two-man game. While scouts will scrutinize his size, his efficiency as a scorer and prolific shot creating ability seem tailor made for the NBA game. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shane-Larkin-40769/ ©DraftExpress"

TP, and this from DX supporting his P&R prowess:

Larkin's prowess on the pick and roll begins with his ability to make shots off the dribble with incredible accuracy. He is equally comfortable going to his left or his right, and has range out to (and beyond) NBA three point range. He has excellent balance when pulling up off the dribble, with excellent form, elevation, and follow through, not needing much more than a split second to get his shot off. He also has an excellent step-back jump shot in his repertoire, allowing him further ability to get his shot off with little space despite his short stature. He converted 40.3% on his pull-up jump shots this season, with his 1.081 points per possession ranking in the top 5% in college basketball, according to Synergy Sports Technology. Larkin's proficiency off the pick and roll doesn't just end with shooting, however. Larkin is incredibly quick and shifty with the ball in his hands, maintaining a low dribble that he has complete control over at all times. The combination of being a lethal shooter, having terrific quickness, possessing the ability to change direction sharply on the fly and his excellent ability to change speeds makes him a very tough cover on the perimeter, especially in pick and roll situations, where he has an ability to get into the paint with relative ease. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shane-Larkin-40769/ ©DraftExpress

Also, I'm sure that the Larranaga connection has endeared Larkin to the Cs.

I like the move. He'll fit in well in CBS' P&R offensive philosophy.

« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Derrick rose isn't reliable Nor Coming for the Minimum. We needed a replacement for jackson. We got it
Right on. No other explanation needed.  We can shut this thread down now.

...except that doesn't answer the question of who isn't making the roster if Larkin is.  Either Yabu won't be signed or someone won't be kept
i think Nader gets cut if we don't make a 2 for 1 trade.

« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
So how about addressing that need for a power forward?

What need?
The one where you are one injury away from having to start a PF who is 6'6 or has zero minutes of prior NBA experience.

If Morris gets injured we could start Al+Baynes in the front court

I still don't understand how people are convinced that Marcus Morris is a starting caliber PF (or PF in general). Either people haven't seen him play, haven't looked at his prior statistics, or are confused about which twin Danny traded for. And yeah, we're not scaring anybody with a frontcourt of Al and Baynes, although it's certainly more appealing that Al and Amir.

Nobody thinks that he's a traditional PF.  But in today's switch-everything NBA, he absolutely can start there (especially if he's played next to another SF/PF like Crowder).  Against a team like the Pelicans you'd have to throw in Baynes (or maybe Zizic eventually), but against most teams IT/Hayward/Crowder/Morris/Horford would be fine.  Yes, we'd have occasional trouble guarding bigger PFs, but those PFs would have just as much trouble covering Morris and Crowder out on the perimeter

What good team has ever started him?

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2017, 11:01:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So how about addressing that need for a power forward?

What need?
The one where you are one injury away from having to start a PF who is 6'6 or has zero minutes of prior NBA experience.

If Morris gets injured we could start Al+Baynes in the front court

I still don't understand how people are convinced that Marcus Morris is a starting caliber PF (or PF in general). Either people haven't seen him play, haven't looked at his prior statistics, or are confused about which twin Danny traded for. And yeah, we're not scaring anybody with a frontcourt of Al and Baynes, although it's certainly more appealing that Al and Amir.

Nobody thinks that he's a traditional PF.  But in today's switch-everything NBA, he absolutely can start there (especially if he's played next to another SF/PF like Crowder).  Against a team like the Pelicans you'd have to throw in Baynes (or maybe Zizic eventually), but against most teams IT/Hayward/Crowder/Morris/Horford would be fine.  Yes, we'd have occasional trouble guarding bigger PFs, but those PFs would have just as much trouble covering Morris and Crowder out on the perimeter

What good team has ever started him?
we needed an average starter  as our 4. We can't afford Millsap. We have a big 3 already. We obviously aren't done, this team is a work in progress. The idea is to somehow either get davis in the next few years, or hope the ping pong balls fall right and get Bagley, porter, ayton, or bamba. Then we finally would have our 4.

« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2017, 11:23:15 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Celtics summer league squad played a ton of lineups with 3-4 wings and just 1 ball handler. 

The offense actually ran best when Demetrius Jackson brought the ball up.  Jackson didn't shoot or drive particularly well but his ability to defend and get guys into half court sets actually made him a team leader in +/- when he played. 

I thought the writing was on the wall that this is essentially what Stevens would be looking for Smart/Rozier/Larkin to do.  Minimize their scoring responsibilities and emphasize protecting the ball, playing defense, and setting up teammates.

God help us if IT has to miss considerable time this season, but the Celtics are actually in a good position with all their scoring wings to install a non-scoring pg if the need should arise.

« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

https://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/8/4401366/shane-larkin-scouting-report-nba-draft-2013

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1691814-shane-larkin-primer-everything-you-need-to-know-about-newest-dallas-maverick

"-Shane Larkin's value proposition at the next level is simple, he created more combined points on the pick and roll for himself and his teammates last season than any prospect in the country at 14.3 points per-game. Playing in a pick and roll heavy, pro-style offense, Larkin kept defenses honest with his jump shot, which ranks second most efficient in this group at 1.137 points per-shot, and showed excellent command of the ball, turning the ball over on just 11.3% of his possessions creating in the two-man game. While scouts will scrutinize his size, his efficiency as a scorer and prolific shot creating ability seem tailor made for the NBA game. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shane-Larkin-40769/ ©DraftExpress"

Larkin's prowess on the pick and roll begins with his ability to make shots off the dribble with incredible accuracy. He is equally comfortable going to his left or his right, and has range out to (and beyond) NBA three point range. He has excellent balance when pulling up off the dribble, with excellent form, elevation, and follow through, not needing much more than a split second to get his shot off. He also has an excellent step-back jump shot in his repertoire, allowing him further ability to get his shot off with little space despite his short stature. He converted 40.3% on his pull-up jump shots this season, with his 1.081 points per possession ranking in the top 5% in college basketball, according to Synergy Sports Technology. Larkin's proficiency off the pick and roll doesn't just end with shooting, however. Larkin is incredibly quick and shifty with the ball in his hands, maintaining a low dribble that he has complete control over at all times. The combination of being a lethal shooter, having terrific quickness, possessing the ability to change direction sharply on the fly and his excellent ability to change speeds makes him a very tough cover on the perimeter, especially in pick and roll situations, where he has an ability to get into the paint with relative ease. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shane-Larkin-40769/ ©DraftExpress

Having watched Larkin for almost every game he played for the Nets, I'd say that most of the DraftExpress evaluation has not carried over to the NBA.

Pros:
- Good at playing passing lanes and anticipating bad passes and coming up with steals
- Decent on-ball defender
- Quick, able to penetrate

Cons:
- Despite being a good on-ball defender, is a major liability everywhere else when not able to nab steals off poor plays due to lack of size and inability to defend in the half-court.  Struggles when not on-ball
- Subpar playmaker despite running PnR with Brook Lopez, one of the most versatile centers on offense in the league
- Despite his quickness and penetrating ability, doesn't typically make plays at the rim, either via passing or scoring due to lack of size and court vision
- Inconsistent shooter
- Not effective on offense when playing off of the ball
- Can be turnover prone (1.9 TO in 22.4 MPG in his season with the Nets)
- Failed to make any sort of lasting impression following Jarrett Jack's injury (though this is also partially attributable to the lack of talents on the Nets squad as a whole)

I have my doubts that he makes the squad.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:51:16 PM by SCeltic34 »

« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2017, 01:13:31 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Having watched Larkin for almost every game he played for the Nets, I'd say that most of the DraftExpress evaluation has not carried over to the NBA.

Pros:
- Good at playing passing lanes and anticipating bad passes and coming up with steals
- Decent on-ball defender
- Quick, able to penetrate

Cons:
- Despite being a good on-ball defender, is a major liability everywhere else when not able to nab steals off poor plays due to lack of size and inability to defend in the half-court.  Struggles when not on-ball
- Subpar playmaker despite running PnR with Brook Lopez, one of the most versatile centers on offense in the league
- Despite his quickness and penetrating ability, doesn't typically make plays at the rim, either via passing or scoring due to lack of size and court vision
- Inconsistent shooter
- Not effective on offense when playing off of the ball
- Can be turnover prone (1.9 TO in 22.4 MPG in his season with the Nets)
- Failed to make any sort of lasting impression following Jarrett Jack's injury (though this is also partially attributable to the lack of talents on the Nets squad as a whole)

I have my doubts that he makes the squad.

TP for enduring all those Nyets games......good god!

Thanks for sharing the insight....if that's the case, the guaranteed $$$$ is puzzling. Maybe Rozier involved in a trade for a big.

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2017, 12:38:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Forgot how high Larkin can jump

Larkin block on Grant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Aslkxv6hs

Larkin dunk in practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLblYFhsKro

« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
edit: Reading is hard.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
http://hoopshype.com/2017/07/26/shane-larkin-on-his-free-agency-experience-joining-the-boston-celtics-and-his-stint-overseas/

I listened to the whole podcast.  Larkin seems to have a very good head on his shoulders. He is very determined.  This was a ver low risk move. He make some very good points about his time in Dallas, NJ and NY. 

« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Does anyone know how many NBA teams were looking at Larkin and how many offered him a contract to come back to the NBA?  I am having a debate with a buddy of mine and could use some help with this.

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Does anyone know how many NBA teams were looking at Larkin and how many offered him a contract to come back to the NBA?  I am having a debate with a buddy of mine and could use some help with this.

Thanks,

Smitty77

Shane Larkin and his agent know, but that's about it.  I'm going to guess that the Celtics couldn't have been one of more than about three teams to offer him a fully guaranteed deal.  He's not a lock to make the roster, and I'd guess other team that were interested weren't offering a full season guaranteed even if he were cut before the season started.

« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Thanks,

Smitty77

Shane Larkin and his agent know, but that's about it.  I'm going to guess that the Celtics couldn't have been one of more than about three teams to offer him a fully guaranteed deal.  He's not a lock to make the roster, and I'd guess other team that were interested weren't offering a full season guaranteed even if he were cut before the season started.

Thanks for your thoughts saltlover!!

Smitty77