Author Topic: Shane Larkin signs with Celtics  (Read 20779 times)

Re: Shane Larkin signs with Celtics
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think Yabusele is not signed because of Pierce contract.
He'll sign soon. We need big who can stretch the floor and his body is nba ready. He needs to be with the Celtics to develop. It makes no sense to send him in China again or in Europe.

Shane Larkin is a puzzling move.
I guess we have to wait and see the reason behind it.

How does that make any sense? Yabu has a cap hold, so we can sign him whenever we want, and we don't need to be down to 17 roster spots until the start of the season.  Pierce had absolutely no impact on Yabu.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thomas will be rehabbing which leaves us shy on guards. We were going to have an extra  guard or two in training camp anyway...Ainge likes the kid, he can play in the league and he's very cheap.

The rest of the roster can only invite speculation. Yabusele was taken at 16 in the first round Ainge won't write him off, In turn, Yabusele can get a big contract and start for a team offshore. Now there's some speculation for ya.

Ainge implied last week in an interview that he's happy with the roster. Looks like the starting 5 or 6 are in place and the coaching staff is set to evaluate etc etc.

These "last moves" here gentlemen? Are for guys who have a solid shot at 5 to 7 minutes per game...and the "game" their going to be playing in is...over.

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Could Theis be taking a 2-way contract?

Could be, but that's not the rumor.  He tweeted about 30 minutes ago that he officially signed his contract, so I expect the Celtics to tweet whether or not he's a two-way player rather shortly.

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
http://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/888047229034012672

Jay King is saying that sources are reporting that Yab is still in Boston's plans.

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Thomas will be rehabbing which leaves us shy on guards. We were going to have an extra  guard or two in training camp anyway...Ainge likes the kid, he can play in the league and he's very cheap.

The rest of the roster can only invite speculation. Yabusele was taken at 16 in the first round Ainge won't write him off, In turn, Yabusele can get a big contract and start for a team offshore. Now there's some speculation for ya.

Ainge implied last week in an interview that he's happy with the roster. Looks like the starting 5 or 6 are in place and the coaching staff is set to evaluate etc etc.

These "last moves" here gentlemen? Are for guys who have a solid shot at 5 to 7 minutes per game...and the "game" their going to be playing in is...over.
One more experienced big is probably needed just for the sake of depth but there's no real rush to address that.  Wonder if we still might not see a Zeller return at some point?  Not that I'm hoping for it. 

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Danny must know something that we dont... like a CBA clause that gives team extra cap space for disadvantaged players or something.

Why the **** would we sign a 5' 11" PG that CAN'T SCORE!!! Even if there is a trade in the works there are simply better PG options around.

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Jay King is saying that sources are reporting that Yab is still in Boston's plans.

Yes, but do those plans include signing his rookie deal this year?

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Nothing more than a training camp body who will be a long shot to make the team.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

And Adam Kaufman says Larkin is just a camp invite, so it looks like that still works

Quote from: Adam Kaufman
#Celtics have plenty of guard depth. Shane Larkin's a training camp invite, likely little else. He'll get a cursory look, wind up elsewhere.

I do question the "plenty of guard depth", though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Nothing more than a training camp body who will be a long shot to make the team.

Doubt that... there has to be more in it for him to walk from $6.3m to take a long shot on a team that already has 3 PGs.

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2017, 10:55:46 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Danny must know something that we dont... like a CBA clause that gives team extra cap space for disadvantaged players or something.

Why the **** would we sign a 5' 11" PG that CAN'T SCORE!!! Even if there is a trade in the works there are simply better PG options around.

No, he knows exactly what we know regarding the CBA, which is that you can sign minimum contracts no matter where you are in regards to the cap. 
I'm bitter.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2017, 10:58:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

And Adam Kaufman says Larkin is just a camp invite, so it looks like that still works

#Celtics have plenty of guard depth. Shane Larkin's a training camp invite, likely little else. He'll get a cursory look, wind up elsewhere.

Camp invites can still come with a good chunk of guaranteed money, however. 

That said, and someone like Dario or Greece needs to correct me, wasn't there an issue with Larkin's Spanish team matching his offer sheet, but not having the money to actually pay him?  I feel I remember reading about that last week.  If so, I suppose it's possible he was looking for a training camp deal so he could get out of that Euro situation, and then sign on again somewhere if he's cut.

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Camp invites can still come with a good chunk of guaranteed money, however. 

That said, and someone like Dario or Greece needs to correct me, wasn't there an issue with Larkin's Spanish team matching his offer sheet, but not having the money to actually pay him?  I feel I remember reading about that last week.  If so, I suppose it's possible he was looking for a training camp deal so he could get out of that Euro situation, and then sign on again somewhere if he's cut.
Only thing that makes sense is something like this because why else would Larkin turn down 6.3 million only to be a camp invite only.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
So how about addressing that need for a power forward?

What need?
The one where you are one injury away from having to start a PF who is 6'6 or has zero minutes of prior NBA experience.

If Morris gets injured we could start Al+Baynes in the front court

I still don't understand how people are convinced that Marcus Morris is a starting caliber PF (or PF in general). Either people haven't seen him play, haven't looked at his prior statistics, or are confused about which twin Danny traded for. And yeah, we're not scaring anybody with a frontcourt of Al and Baynes, although it's certainly more appealing that Al and Amir.

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
So how about addressing that need for a power forward?

What need?
The one where you are one injury away from having to start a PF who is 6'6 or has zero minutes of prior NBA experience.

If Morris gets injured we could start Al+Baynes in the front court

I still don't understand how people are convinced that Marcus Morris is a starting caliber PF (or PF in general). Either people haven't seen him play, haven't looked at his prior statistics, or are confused about which twin Danny traded for. And yeah, we're not scaring anybody with a frontcourt of Al and Baynes, although it's certainly more appealing that Al and Amir.

Nobody thinks that he's a traditional PF.  But in today's switch-everything NBA, he absolutely can start there (especially if he's played next to another SF/PF like Crowder).  Against a team like the Pelicans you'd have to throw in Baynes (or maybe Zizic eventually), but against most teams IT/Hayward/Crowder/Morris/Horford would be fine.  Yes, we'd have occasional trouble guarding bigger PFs, but those PFs would have just as much trouble covering Morris and Crowder out on the perimeter
I'm bitter.