Author Topic: Exposing ESPNs “alternative facts” about the WNBA (Video)  (Read 3817 times)

Exposing ESPNs “alternative facts” about the WNBA (Video)
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
A very good video that explores how espn lies:  https://youtu.be/EpzidpgZzq8

Katie Nolan just responses a few hours ago after being questioned about her false stats in her monologue:
“I lay out my opinion, someone has a different opinion, and all you morons think that means I didn't do my homework. I'm sorry you hate the WNBA so much you want to watch a 15 minute youtube video about it. I recommend watching videos about (expletive) you like”
https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/1062502872347222016?s=21
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:23:15 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Exposing ESPNs “alternative facts” about the WNBA (Video)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:37:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
WNBA is in trouble.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to put a team in Boston, one of the more passionate sports towns.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:46:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They promote things and have for years rather than give the facts.

As for the WNBA, I can't bring myself to watch it.  I don't hate it, I just don't care for it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:06:07 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:28:27 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Dishonest reporting like that just sours me to the cause.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You guys have higher expectations for Katie Nolan than I do.

As for the WNBA, I don’t enjoy the product. I watched the Finals the first couple of years, but in the many years since I just don’t enjoy it enough to watch.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 10:57:50 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

As for the WNBA, I don’t enjoy the product. I watched the Finals the first couple of years, but in the many years since I just don’t enjoy it enough to watch.

I wonder about significantly changing the WNBA rules with ideas to make it a more enjoyable product.

1. You could institute the 4 point line.
2. You could add a continuation play (Malcolm Gladwell brought this up on Bill Simmon's recent podcast). Basically, both teams keep playing even after a foul to see what happens. Instead of blowing the whistle and killing the play every foul, you allow the game to keep moving. This might add a more free-flowing game, especially in women's basketball.
3. You could lower the hoops. This is admittedly gimmicky, but it might mean more dunks or interesting plays at the rim.
4. You could institute power play rules like hockey when someone fouls.
5. You could use smaller basketballs. I always thought the women's sized basketballs were not in the same ratio to a women's hand as a men's basketball is to a man's hand. This would allow women greater control over the basketball, which would likely lead to less turnovers, more ball-handling wizardry, and easier shooting.
6. You could decrease the number for fouling out, which would force defenses to be less physical.

I admit, most people aren't gonna go for these options. But, as we've seen in the NBA this season, one small rule change can lead to drastically higher scoring games.

I'll take it a step further and ask a question about demographic. It seems to me like the NBA is in a groove with its demographic, but I would think that the WNBA's demographic would be different. Maybe their marketing is all wrong?

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
WNBA is boring. There is no flashy dunks, no fancy ball handling, or sharp shooting.

I mean if you had the female versions of Steph Curry, or Kyrie Irving, WNBA would definitely get more revenue and more interest, but generally the best female players are fantastic players don't get me wrong. Their game is just very flat footed and just not enjoyable to watch.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I wonder about significantly changing the WNBA rules with ideas to make it a more enjoyable product.

1. You could institute the 4 point line.
2. You could add a continuation play (Malcolm Gladwell brought this up on Bill Simmon's recent podcast). Basically, both teams keep playing even after a foul to see what happens. Instead of blowing the whistle and killing the play every foul, you allow the game to keep moving. This might add a more free-flowing game, especially in women's basketball.
3. You could lower the hoops. This is admittedly gimmicky, but it might mean more dunks or interesting plays at the rim.
4. You could institute power play rules like hockey when someone fouls.
5. You could use smaller basketballs. I always thought the women's sized basketballs were not in the same ratio to a women's hand as a men's basketball is to a man's hand. This would allow women greater control over the basketball, which would likely lead to less turnovers, more ball-handling wizardry, and easier shooting.
6. You could decrease the number for fouling out, which would force defenses to be less physical.

I admit, most people aren't gonna go for these options. But, as we've seen in the NBA this season, one small rule change can lead to drastically higher scoring games.

I'll take it a step further and ask a question about demographic. It seems to me like the NBA is in a groove with its demographic, but I would think that the WNBA's demographic would be different. Maybe their marketing is all wrong?

FYI - They do use a smaller ball.  It's not much smaller but it is noticeable when playing with one.