Poll

Tatum, Brown, IT4 (sign and trade) for....

Davis
16 (53.3%)
Leonard
14 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Who would you trade for Davis or Leonard? (Poll)  (Read 3693 times)

Re: Who would you trade for Davis or Leonard? (Poll)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 05:55:05 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
AD fits us better, but if we want to matchup with Lebron and KD, Leonard is better. Add the fact that Leonard has been healthier than AD and I say its Leonard.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'll ignore the awful trade idea and focus on the Leonard vs. Davis:

Leonard 100%, final answer.  Davis looks like he could turn into an MVP candidate someday, but Leonard already is one and has great playoff experience. He's the best 2-way player in the league and the perfect player for defending both Lebron and Durant.  You put him on the current team (minus rookies/picks) and we would be the favorites in the east, with a good chance at unseating GSW as well

Edit: That said, he should not and will not be traded

So what type of offer works then?

Pelicans and Spurs wont let these players go easily. Overpayment is likely in order

The issue is that you didn't overpay. Like, at all.  Signing and trading a player is not the same as trading them. It requires the other player to want to go there and the other team to come to an agreement with them on salary (aka enough for them to just sign the player without giving up an AD or a Kawhi). For this trade to even remotely make sense, you'd need to take out IT and throw in the Nets pick at a minimum (and likely the LAL pick as well), plus Crowder and/or Morris to match salaries. You may be able to take out either Tatum or Brown in that case, but one will still be there.

Not only that, but why would we trade IT in an all-in move like trading all our future assets for Kawhi/AD? Smart certaiy isn't ready to take over, and we'd have zero cap space, so how would we win with that team?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 07:04:11 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Trading for either makes no sense if we have to give up most of our value otherwise. Neither player is good enough to beat GSW if we give away most of our talent and picks. Those pining for such a trade would doom our chances for years to come, with no picks and no young players to turn into stars.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Leonard is the best player in the NBA.... which is probably why he will never be traded, they will do everything possible to keep him, even if it meant making him a player-coach.

KG once was the best player in the league or top 5 and we got him via trade

Maybe Leonard doesnt mind staying in the middle of the pack but the Spurs organization will...

Unless the Spurs can replace Manu, Parker type talents...they wont be relevant in the west

SA is also not a top destination for FAs. They have built their success through the draft

By the time this happens again, Leonard is 38 years old and irrelevant

This is why I think he could be traded for...  Especially if Popovich is not back as coach after his contract which ends soon. I think he is going to retire

So because a top 5 player once left then they all will?  Got it...

I think when Pop is ready he will move to the front office and pick his replacement, I dont see the Spurs getting rid of their best player, if they do I will load you up with TP's as you were the first to suggest it that I have seen. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Davis.  solidifies a soft front court and we already have an all-star wing.  Can't go wrong with either talent wise but Davis supplements this roster whereas Kawhi duplicates where we have a lot of current talent.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Just had a dream that Leonard started his career in the Clips with Melo and "Linsanity". And they were a contender.

Never combine heavy food with the Forums before bed.

Back to the question. Leonard could well be the best player in basketball terms, but AD is the unicorn big that is good on both ends. I recall Ainge talking about how important these players are in a recent interview. It's hard to pass an opportunity to take such a player in his prime.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'll ignore the awful trade idea and focus on the Leonard vs. Davis:

Leonard 100%, final answer.  Davis looks like he could turn into an MVP candidate someday, but Leonard already is one and has great playoff experience. He's the best 2-way player in the league and the perfect player for defending both Lebron and Durant.  You put him on the current team (minus rookies/picks) and we would be the favorites in the east, with a good chance at unseating GSW as well

Edit: That said, he should not and will not be traded

So what type of offer works then?

Pelicans and Spurs wont let these players go easily. Overpayment is likely in order

The issue is that you didn't overpay. Like, at all.  Signing and trading a player is not the same as trading them. It requires the other player to want to go there and the other team to come to an agreement with them on salary (aka enough for them to just sign the player without giving up an AD or a Kawhi). For this trade to even remotely make sense, you'd need to take out IT and throw in the Nets pick at a minimum (and likely the LAL pick as well), plus Crowder and/or Morris to match salaries. You may be able to take out either Tatum or Brown in that case, but one will still be there.

Not only that, but why would we trade IT in an all-in move like trading all our future assets for Kawhi/AD? Smart certaiy isn't ready to take over, and we'd have zero cap space, so how would we win with that team?

You cant have maxed out horford, hayward, IT4 and Leonard or Davis moving fwd

And yes the opposing teams would entertain a sign and trade bc IT4 is a good talent plus they get Tatum and Brown in return

The uncertainty as to where the 2018/2019 picks land wont do the trick. Higher risk for Pelicans/Spurs

I would be on the fence .... Hate to give up tatum and brown but if IT4 is no longer in the Celts future plans but pelicans/spurs want to rebuild... Need to think about it

Hayward plus leonard alone would be a deadly 1 2 punch