Author Topic: daniel theis  (Read 7307 times)

Re: daniel theis
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
And I was thinking since the summer league that Zizic has a very short neck.  And it goes forward instead of up.  He must lose an inch or two of height due to that.  Maybe he was able to straighten it out some at measurement time.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:52:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Like you rollie, I watched the youtube highlights and saw mostly dunks off lob passes with an occasional jumpshot mixed in...not much to go on, though he does seem pretty agile.  I really doubt it has anything to do with Zizic who is Croatian and Theis is a German...guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in training camp.

A German and a Croatian walked into the Balkans...

Order a couple of longnecks.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
He seems to have elite wingspan probably a high standing reach-good motor and vertical and has defensive DNA
I have watched his highlites a lot of dunks a few mid range and a couple of threes
I know he was a free agent and there must have been some cross scouting
He seems from memory to have short neck so maybe he plays much bigger than his height measurement-
What is behind this with roster spots so critical.?
Now he has to adjust to speed of game,is he here to keep zizic company?
I looked for some explanation but couldn't find one

Literally the first highlight I watched of him was him blocking Zizic three times in a row in EuroLeague.

Could very well have been cross-scouting involved.

Thought the same.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He seems from memory to have short neck

What use is neck height in any sport?   A long neck means more vulnerable neck as it is a vulnerable able of the body with little protection.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:13 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
He seems from memory to have short neck

What use is neck height in any sport?   A long neck means more vulnerable neck as it is a vulnerable able of the body with little protection.

See over the defense (NBA)?

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08:55 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://twitter.com/dtheis10/status/888037830009737216

Daniel Theis  ✔ @dtheis10
Today is the day! I'm so excited to join the @celtics family and to live in this great city! I will work my heart out for #Boston 💯☘️

shooting 60% from the field and 41% from 3

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 06:28:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Keep telling yourself that, you might start believing it.   In the NFL it might help you see over the defensive line, but it still more area to injure in a weak area of the body.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 06:39:46 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i am amazed that the neck length became an issue.........

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 06:43:43 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Keep telling yourself that, you might start believing it.   In the NFL it might help you see over the defensive line, but it still more area to injure in a weak area of the body.

Its true though.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

the only reason i brought it up was that Theis might not show well in height but that standing reach and wingspan along with vertical would allows him to play as a small center.He seems quick enough and with a good motor. A better jerebko only because jj had that ACL and lost lift.Theis has been banging with those big euros that are tough and play physical dirty basketball down low for years now.Any comparison to his skinny kid experience in summer league is quite slanted.The celts scouts saw something .Maybe rebounding.

Kelly was not a true 7 footer in wingspan and standing reach -he could never overcome that .

So i apologize for bringing up in an impulsive moment what i recalled thinking once but i made an effort to find measurements which i couldn't.

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8

the only reason i brought it up was that Theis might not show well in height but that standing reach and wingspan along with vertical would allows him to play as a small center.He seems quick enough and with a good motor. A better jerebko only because jj had that ACL and lost lift.Theis has been banging with those big euros that are tough and play physical dirty basketball down low for years now.Any comparison to his skinny kid experience in summer league is quite slanted.The celts scouts saw something .Maybe rebounding.

Kelly was not a true 7 footer in wingspan and standing reach -he could never overcome that .

So i apologize for bringing up in an impulsive moment what i recalled thinking once but i made an effort to find measurements which i couldn't.
For the record, Jonas had an achilles tear, not ACL. And honestly, he didn't have a lot of lift before the injury either. Anyway, Theis seems like a more athletic/explosive/stronger version of JJ. That should get him some minutes.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

the comment wasn't directed to you. people can discuss whatever they want (under the forum rules that is) but i have the right to find strange that people discussing the effect of someones neck length.  I"ve never seen such a thread/discussion....

Theis has been banging with those big euros that are tough and play physical dirty basketball down low for years now

i think you are very wrong on this one.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 12:25:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

For the record, Jonas had an achilles tear, not ACL. And honestly, he didn't have a lot of lift before the injury either. Anyway, Theis seems like a more athletic/explosive/stronger version of JJ. That should get him some minutes.
Theis couldn't get 20 minutes of play in the BBL. He has, in fact, never averaged more than 21 minutes in his career. This alone should raise some eyebrows, although I am surprised that someone with this little burn could get the DPOY award.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@ederson I think the neck thing makes sense when comparing ppl of the same height. It's just a quick eye test to say if player X has a long body, at least that's what I got from the comments above.

Other than that,  there obviously are many ppl with long necks and long bodies, and many ppl with short  necks and short bodies.

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
@ederson I think the neck thing makes sense when comparing ppl of the same height. It's just a quick eye test to say if player X has a long body, at least that's what I got from the comments above.

Other than that,  there obviously are many ppl with long necks and long bodies, and many ppl with short  necks and short bodies.

But you can't fool all the people all the time.