Author Topic: Rozier Time to shine or Fadeaway  (Read 3912 times)

Re: Rozier Time to shine or Fadeaway
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think Rozier is one of the least likely Cs to be traded. I expect him to make a significant jump this season with added minutes.

I really don't have a ton of faith that Rozier will make any kind of significant jump.

His propensity to over-dribble and play the game at a pace that's too fast for him doesn't seem to have corrected itself in the first two years. His PER 36 stats didn't go up too much last year (scoring up but rebounding and assists went down). He shot about as well as Smart did last year and they're about the same age.

Now perhaps getting 1,200 minutes last year helps him develop. I certainly hope he does because if he can improve then he's a great replacement for Smart's impending FA. With all that said, Danny certainly seems to see something in him considering he wouldn't include him in a trade deal for Noel. So maybe he's getting better and we'll see a vastly improved version on the court.

A lot of the same stuff was said about Avery Bradley at this point in his respective career.

Apples and oranges. Even when Avery was a below average offensive player, you knew you were getting good defense with him. Avery couldn't shoot but he took the starting job from Ray because he impacted the game defensively and you knew he would.

And that's where I hesitate with Rozier - he doesn't have that one skill that he does well enough to stomach playing him through the hiccups. He doesn't have a calling card.

Missing the point.

It's: prematurely judging the development of a very talented guy on a rookie contract who has only had a highly inconsistent role off the bench in his first two seasons is dumb.

The hallmark of any worthy celticsblog discussion is when people resort to insulting your intelligence. Kudos for elevating the topic.

Terry Rozier could be a great role player some day, but I don't see anything him to this point. That is my opinion. You brought up Avery Bradley and it makes for an interesting comparison. Yes, some people wrote off Avery early but in his 2nd season, he distinguished himself as a willing and rugged defender. His full court pressure reinvigorated a stagnant team and Doc HAD to play him. Avery was younger, too.

I appreciate Terry's rebounding myself as it's a nice breath of fresh air on a team that really struggles at that. But again, I'm not sure he's special enough at it that you have to play him.

With that said, maybe Terry turns the corner this season. Maybe he becomes whatever it is inefficient guards from college with streaky shots are supposed to become in the NBA. I'm not rooting for the kid to fail by any stretch. I just don't have any expectations from him. Any discernible progress he makes this season will be gravy for me.

How does one discern progress? Is there non-discernible progress, too?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:45:33 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Rozier Time to shine or Fadeaway
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think Rozier is one of the least likely Cs to be traded. I expect him to make a significant jump this season with added minutes.

I really don't have a ton of faith that Rozier will make any kind of significant jump.

His propensity to over-dribble and play the game at a pace that's too fast for him doesn't seem to have corrected itself in the first two years. His PER 36 stats didn't go up too much last year (scoring up but rebounding and assists went down). He shot about as well as Smart did last year and they're about the same age.

Now perhaps getting 1,200 minutes last year helps him develop. I certainly hope he does because if he can improve then he's a great replacement for Smart's impending FA. With all that said, Danny certainly seems to see something in him considering he wouldn't include him in a trade deal for Noel. So maybe he's getting better and we'll see a vastly improved version on the court.

A lot of the same stuff was said about Avery Bradley at this point in his respective career.

Apples and oranges. Even when Avery was a below average offensive player, you knew you were getting good defense with him. Avery couldn't shoot but he took the starting job from Ray because he impacted the game defensively and you knew he would.

And that's where I hesitate with Rozier - he doesn't have that one skill that he does well enough to stomach playing him through the hiccups. He doesn't have a calling card.

Missing the point.

It's: prematurely judging the development of a very talented guy on a rookie contract who has only had a highly inconsistent role off the bench in his first two seasons is dumb.

The hallmark of any worthy celticsblog discussion is when people resort to insulting your intelligence. Kudos for elevating the topic.

Terry Rozier could be a great role player some day, but I don't see anything him to this point. That is my opinion. You brought up Avery Bradley and it makes for an interesting comparison. Yes, some people wrote off Avery early but in his 2nd season, he distinguished himself as a willing and rugged defender. His full court pressure reinvigorated a stagnant team and Doc HAD to play him. Avery was younger, too.

I appreciate Terry's rebounding myself as it's a nice breath of fresh air on a team that really struggles at that. But again, I'm not sure he's special enough at it that you have to play him.

With that said, maybe Terry turns the corner this season. Maybe he becomes whatever it is inefficient guards from college with streaky shots are supposed to become in the NBA. I'm not rooting for the kid to fail by any stretch. I just don't have any expectations from him. Any discernible progress he makes this season will be gravy for me.

No no... the hallmark is the sarcastic 'holier than tho' response of disapproval that follows one blogger calling out another. Thanks for closing the loop!

Comparing Bradley's and Rozier's games was not my point. What I compared was their stage of career and lack of consistent minutes, followed by knee jerk reactions of impatience because everyone wants everything to happen in real time.

It's not Rozier's fault that he's been playing behind Thomas, Smart and Bradley, leading to inconsistency -- and frankly, unpredictability -- of role on a night to night basis. I'm interested to see how he performs if given some level of consistency. I expect good things.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)