Author Topic: ESPN: Bagley skips senior year & going to Duke. Projected #1 pick in next draft  (Read 22595 times)

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Actually ESPN has him projected to go #2 to in the draft, to the Celtics (they project Chicago taking Porter at #1).

ESPN has Philly taking Jackson from Michigan State at 9 with the Lakers' pick. Sigh.

Sacramento takes the kid from A & M at 5, Robert Williams. Man, if the Lakers landed at 5, I'd love to draft that kid. He would fit in great for us, a strong rebounder and shot blocker. Really would fill a team need.

Yeah, that ESPN projection (I'm assuming you mean the DraftExpress one) also has our pick going to Brooklyn (which isn't happening, it's not a swap we own their pick outright) and has 6 of the top 8 picks going to Eastern teams (which isn't gonna happen)

Yep. Have to just see how the season plays out. Right now I have us picking one of Bagley/Porter and then Doncic with the Lakers pick..

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
lets Tank

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Celtics are guaranteed a lottery pick with the Lakers pick. If the Lakers don't finish 2-5, they get Sacramento's pick, as long as it isn't #1 overall. If it's #1 overall, I'm not sure what the option would be. They have to get a high pick in there somewhere.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The Celtics are guaranteed a lottery pick with the Lakers pick. If the Lakers don't finish 2-5, they get Sacramento's pick, as long as it isn't #1 overall. If it's #1 overall, I'm not sure what the option would be. They have to get a high pick in there somewhere.
It's the Sacramento pick in 2019 as long as it's not #1. If it's #1 we're likely screwed as I don't see Philly being that bad of a team in '18-'19.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's the Sacramento pick in 2019 as long as it's not #1. If it's #1 we're likely screwed as I don't see Philly being that bad of a team in '18-'19.

Yeah, it's Sac's '19 pick. Just looked it up. If Sac gets the #1 overall, they must have some kind of contingent for that. That hasn't been spelled out. Ainge has his hands full of hi picks, and they are not cheap these days salary-wise. One reason why he traded out of #1. Saved $2M and got the player he wanted.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah, it's Sac's '19 pick. Just looked it up. If Sac gets the #1 overall, they must have some kind of contingent for that. That hasn't been spelled out. Ainge has his hands full of hi picks, and they are not cheap these days salary-wise. One reason why he traded out of #1. Saved $2M and got the player he wanted.

It has been spelled out.  If we don't get LA's pick next year, we get the better of the SAC/PHI 2019 picks.  If the better of the 2 picks is #1 overall, then we get the worse of the two picks.
I'm bitter.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The contingency is that the Celtics would get Philly's pick if SAC gets #1 overall.  I guess people worry that Philly might be good in two seasons, but it's not that big of a deal.

The odds are very low that the Lakers pick isn't between #2-5, AND the SAC pick is #1 overall AND the Sixers are out of the lottery.  It could happen, sure.  But the chance is no greater than about 5%, and I'd argue it's a good deal less.  We can start fretting for real after the 2019 All-Star Break if we didn't the get Lakers pick, SAC is hurtling towards the worst record, and Fultz is leading Philly to the playoffs while Tatum struggles to get off the bench.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I would have liked a wrinkle in there like if the pick is after 5, we still have the option to take it or defer for the Kings pick.

Just say it's 6 or 7 and there's another stud or two that emerges along with Bagley, Porter, Bamba, Ayton, and Doncic, we could have nabbed him.
CELTICS 2024

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think by draft time, we won't be looking at this draft as having 5 tier 1 talents.  Mo Bamba and Deandre Ayton at this moment remind me a lot of guys like Harry Giles, Myles Turner, and Skal Labissiere when they were entering college.  Those types of high upside, semi-raw big men typically don't do well freshman year in college which hurts their draft stock (guys I was still higher than most on coming into their drafts).

I'm hopeful and somewhat excited about 2018, but mostly just waiting until next Spring to see how things shake out.  Who knows... maybe we get the #6 pick from Brooklyn and no Lakers pick.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think by draft time, we won't be looking at this draft as having 5 tier 1 talents.  Mo Bamba and Deandre Ayton at this moment remind me a lot of guys like Harry Giles, Myles Turner, and Skal Labissiere when they were entering college.  Those types of high upside, semi-raw big men typically don't do well freshman year in college which hurts their draft stock (guys I was still higher than most on coming into their drafts).

I'm hopeful and somewhat excited about 2018, but mostly just waiting until next Spring to see how things shake out.  Who knows... maybe we get the #6 pick from Brooklyn and no Lakers pick.
true. Draft express already updated their mock. Bagley #2 and mo bamba moves down to #7. Miles bridges and Robert Williams have moved above bamba in their mock

I remember diamond stone was supposed to be a top 10 pick. Like a year ago He was picked in the 2nd round after the pick was being traded for cash, and now he free agent after 1 year of sitting on a bench

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I would have liked a wrinkle in there like if the pick is after 5, we still have the option to take it or defer for the Kings pick.

Just say it's 6 or 7 and there's another stud or two that emerges along with Bagley, Porter, Bamba, Ayton, and Doncic, we could have nabbed him.
I'm pretty sure that Danny put that 2-5 protection in place. I heard him on the radio saying if the pick isn't top 5 then he has another shot to get a top pick (not #1 obviously) the following year. For some reason, he mentioned about getting another "top 5 pick", if the LAL doesn't fall into that category, but that was just after the draft & I could be misquoting him about that statement.

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I'm pretty sure that Danny put that 2-5 protection in place. I heard him on the radio saying if the pick isn't top 5 then he has another shot to get a top pick (not #1 obviously) the following year. For some reason, he mentioned about getting another "top 5 pick", if the LAL doesn't fall into that category, but that was just after the draft & I could be misquoting him about that statement.

I wish we had that clause too though.  The protection decision was made before Bagley re-classified and before the Kings did pretty well in free agency and IMO, the draft. 

I don't expect the Kings to escape the lottery in '19, but if the LAL pick lands at #6 or #7 and this clause would've let us pick between drafting Robert Williams / Wendell Carter or rolling the dice in '19, I'd have liked for Ainge to be in the driver's seat of making that call.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
He must really want to be a Celtic :)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Is Steve Paliuca's son still on Duke?

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
My worry about this kid is that he reminds me too much of Julius Randle. No rim protection and spotty jump shot. Anybody who has watched him closely think differently?
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce