Author Topic: ESPN: Bagley skips senior year & going to Duke. Projected #1 pick in next draft  (Read 22678 times)

Re: CBS: Bagley trying to reclassify into 2018. Visiting Duke & Arizona
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
If the Cavs can get 3 #1s I'm 4 years... we can get 2 consecutive #1 picks.  Fingers crossed.

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
So the Nets are definitely one of the three worst teams in the NBA?

Also: one guy who isn't mentioned as an elite prospect in next year's draft is Trevon Duval.  He has Kyrie Irving handles and Derrick Rose athleticism.  He can't shoot at all and based on reading scouting reports, is a bad decision maker.

I think the Nets are 2nd worst at best. They traded their best player off a league-worst squad. Cant imagine an improvement there.
I think Chicago will be their main competition for worst team in the league.  CHI's roster is a dumpster fire.

Bulls could still have Wade, Robin Lopez, Portis, Markkenen, Dunn, Holliday. Thats better than what the Nets offer...
The Nets definitely still have a strong case for worst team in the league.  I am just not impressed at all by Chicago's roster either.

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Good news for the draft. Duke helped Derryck Thornton reclassify in 2015.

That reclassification didn't work for anyone.  Thornton wasn't ready for college, couldn't get on the court, and had to transfer and sit out a year.  I'd hope that doesn't repeat itself with Bagley.
Derryck Thornton  wasn't even a top 10 recruit. Top 17, 3rd or so best PG.  Bagley is unanimously #1 in both drafts this year and next

I'm not saying they're of the same quality, but Thornton was still a projected 1-and-done until his basketball career was stalled by reclassifying to come to Duke a year earlier.  At the time, he was ranked about on par with many of the great PG who were drafted last month.  Now, not so much.

Reclassifying doesn't work out well for everyone, and Thornton is the prime example in the last couple years of that.  Bringing him up in the Bagley discussion was not the best way to be optimistic for Bagley -- rather it should remind us that there are perils to the process.
Drummond reclassified too

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Also: one guy who isn't mentioned as an elite prospect in next year's draft is Trevon Duval.  He has Kyrie Irving handles and Derrick Rose athleticism.  He can't shoot at all and based on reading scouting reports, is a bad decision maker.

I think the Nets are 2nd worst at best. They traded their best player off a league-worst squad. Cant imagine an improvement there.
I think Chicago will be their main competition for worst team in the league.  CHI's roster is a dumpster fire.

Bulls could still have Wade, Robin Lopez, Portis, Markkenen, Dunn, Holliday. Thats better than what the Nets offer...
The Nets definitely still have a strong case for worst team in the league.  I am just not impressed at all by Chicago's roster either.

No doubt Chicago will suck. But it takes an epic type of sucking to be as bad as the Nets will be this year. Like Major League-level tanking..

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That reclassification didn't work for anyone.  Thornton wasn't ready for college, couldn't get on the court, and had to transfer and sit out a year.  I'd hope that doesn't repeat itself with Bagley.
Derryck Thornton  wasn't even a top 10 recruit. Top 17, 3rd or so best PG.  Bagley is unanimously #1 in both drafts this year and next

I'm not saying they're of the same quality, but Thornton was still a projected 1-and-done until his basketball career was stalled by reclassifying to come to Duke a year earlier.  At the time, he was ranked about on par with many of the great PG who were drafted last month.  Now, not so much.

Reclassifying doesn't work out well for everyone, and Thornton is the prime example in the last couple years of that.  Bringing him up in the Bagley discussion was not the best way to be optimistic for Bagley -- rather it should remind us that there are perils to the process.
Drummond reclassified too

Don't know what that has to do with anything.

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

No doubt Chicago will suck. But it takes an epic type of sucking to be as bad as the Nets will be this year. Like Major League-level tanking..
Their secret weapon is Cam Payne.  I think if they play him 25+ minutes a game they'd have a good shot at going 0-82.  :)

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Thornton got his opportunity (36 games, averaged 26 minutes, started 20 games), he just wasn't as good as advertised. Then, he got recruited over. Plus he wasn't ever as highly touted. I wasn't comparing him to Bagley, just recalling that Duke has recent experience with helping kids reclassify which is beneficial. The OP's title says that Bagley is "trying" to reclassify. If he has the credits, I'd be pretty optimistic he can make it happen.

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

You want a stud PG, there's Collin Sexton. He's Isaiah Sr. lite.

I'm loving the whatever percentage we'll have at actually getting Bagley if/when he's reclassified. F'n ay!

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Bagley is a beast. Most of these comparisons with other guys who reclassed don't really work. Many think he's the best prospect since Lebron.

I don't see a lot of risk for him.

And it's great for us, increases our odds of getting an elite prospect. If not Bagley, maybe Porter or someone else falls to us.

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is good news for us.  More talent in the draft means that our 2018 Brooklyn and Lakers pick become more valuable.  Now we just need to hope for both teams to continue to suck LOL.

A top 5 of Porter Jr, Bagley, Ayton, Bomba, Doncic.  Hard to be a loser if you end up with any of those 5 players.

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Update: filed paperwork
Marvin Bagley, the best prospect in high school basketball, has filed the necessary paperwork with the NCAA Clearinghouse to potentially reclassify from the 2018 to 2017 class, per multiple sources.
Filing the paperwork, doesn't guarantee that Bagley will be cleared for the 2017 class, but that he's asking the NCAA to review and evaluate his academic standing to potentially do so.
Speculation about Bagley reclassifying emerged at the Nike Peach Jam and was first reported by CBS Sports' Gary Parrish, but the 6-foot-11 power forward hasn't commented on the topic.

https://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/SOURCES-No-1-Marvin-Bagley-files-NCAA-paperwork-to-potentially-r-105581362/Amp

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2017, 12:32:41 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Marvin Bagley, the best prospect in high school basketball, has filed the necessary paperwork with the NCAA Clearinghouse to potentially reclassify from the 2018 to 2017 class, per multiple sources.
Filing the paperwork, doesn't guarantee that Bagley will be cleared for the 2017 class, but that he's asking the NCAA to review and evaluate his academic standing to potentially do so.
Speculation about Bagley reclassifying emerged at the Nike Peach Jam and was first reported by CBS Sports' Gary Parrish, but the 6-foot-11 power forward hasn't commented on the topic.

https://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/SOURCES-No-1-Marvin-Bagley-files-NCAA-paperwork-to-potentially-r-105581362/Amp

I have no doubt that the NCAA will do a careful review of the situation. They'll review his grades, recommendations from teachers and, most importantly, what will be best for Bagley. They'll meet with him to determine if he has the emotional maturity to make the leap and come up with a thorough analysis of the impact on all parties involved.

Then they'll laugh, throw the results in the recycling (The NCAA cares about the environment.) and try to determine just how much money Bagley will make them. He's in.

Mike

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I have no doubt that the NCAA will do a careful review of the situation. They'll review his grades, recommendations from teachers and, most importantly, what will be best for Bagley. They'll meet with him to determine if he has the emotional maturity to make the leap and come up with a thorough analysis of the impact on all parties involved.

Then they'll laugh, throw the results in the recycling (The NCAA cares about the environment.) and try to determine just how much money Bagley will make them. He's in.

Mike

Exactly. Like the NCAA is going to be like "Sorry Duke and Coach K, we really don't want the guy most consider the best player not already in the NBA playing College Basketball and garnering national ratings as he leads Duke to the Final Four. Our rules demand that he play in Spain next year."

**** Rubber stamp that puppy ASAP..

Re: CBS: Bagley applies to potentially reclassify into 2018.
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2017, 12:52:22 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
JaVale McGee tried so hard to score on top high schooler Marvin Bagley III, and couldn't
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/8/7/16106706/javale-mcgee-marvin-bagley-iii-drew-league

Re: CBS: Bagley applies to potentially reclassify into 2018.
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Bagley announcing college decision tomorrow

https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/896864242812329985