Author Topic: ESPN: Bagley skips senior year & going to Duke. Projected #1 pick in next draft  (Read 22672 times)

Re: CBS Sports: Bagley trying to reclassify into 2018
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 11:55:30 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 01:50:34 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Here's a great article explaining the reclassification process: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/what-has-to-happen-for-the-ncaa-to-allow-5-star-marvin-bagley-to-play-this-season/
thanks

All signs point to him completing the summer classes and switching

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
will visit Tucson (uni of Arizona) the first week of August. Currently, Bagley is visiting Duke and then will head west.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:53:14 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 01:50:13 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
will visit Tucson the first week of August. Currently, Bagley is visiting Duke and then will head west.

I can't imagine he would be doing all this if his intention wasn't to reclassify. Obviously huge for us. Even if we don't get Bagley it virtually assures of one of Bagley, Porter, Doncic, Ayton, or Bamba.

Re: CBS: Bagley trying to reclassify into 2018. Visiting Duke & Arizona
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Good news for the draft. Duke helped Derryck Thornton reclassify in 2015.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That reclassification didn't work for anyone.  Thornton wasn't ready for college, couldn't get on the court, and had to transfer and sit out a year.  I'd hope that doesn't repeat itself with Bagley.

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
So the Nets are definitely one of the three worst teams in the NBA?

Also: one guy who isn't mentioned as an elite prospect in next year's draft is Trevon Duval.  He has Kyrie Irving handles and Derrick Rose athleticism.  He can't shoot at all and based on reading scouting reports, is a bad decision maker.

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Also: one guy who isn't mentioned as an elite prospect in next year's draft is Trevon Duval.  He has Kyrie Irving handles and Derrick Rose athleticism.  He can't shoot at all and based on reading scouting reports, is a bad decision maker.

I think the Nets are 2nd worst at best. They traded their best player off a league-worst squad. Cant imagine an improvement there.

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

That reclassification didn't work for anyone.  Thornton wasn't ready for college, couldn't get on the court, and had to transfer and sit out a year.  I'd hope that doesn't repeat itself with Bagley.
Derryck Thornton  wasn't even a top 10 recruit. Top 17, 3rd or so best PG.  Bagley is unanimously #1 in both drafts this year and next

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

I think the Nets are 2nd worst at best. They traded their best player off a league-worst squad. Cant imagine an improvement there.
I think Chicago will be their main competition for worst team in the league.  CHI's roster is a dumpster fire.

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

I think Chicago will be their main competition for worst team in the league.  CHI's roster is a dumpster fire.

Are the Bulls keeping Wade?

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Derryck Thornton  wasn't even a top 10 recruit. Top 17, 3rd or so best PG.  Bagley is unanimously #1 in both drafts this year and next

I'm not saying they're of the same quality, but Thornton was still a projected 1-and-done until his basketball career was stalled by reclassifying to come to Duke a year earlier.  At the time, he was ranked about on par with many of the great PG who were drafted last month.  Now, not so much.

Reclassifying doesn't work out well for everyone, and Thornton is the prime example in the last couple years of that.  Bringing him up in the Bagley discussion was not the best way to be optimistic for Bagley -- rather it should remind us that there are perils to the process.

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Bulls could still have Wade, Robin Lopez, Portis, Markkenen, Dunn, Holliday. Thats better than what the Nets offer...

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

Are the Bulls keeping Wade?
I will be surprised if he plays more than 50 games for them.  I could see him being bought out after the trade deadline at the latest.