Author Topic: ESPN: Bagley skips senior year & going to Duke. Projected #1 pick in next draft  (Read 22686 times)

Re: CBS Sports: Bagley trying to reclassify into 2018
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Man, this would be so awesome for us. But I think you'd also see pretty strong tanking teams from the get-go.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Man, this would be so awesome for us. But I think you'd also see pretty strong tanking teams from the get-go.

They can try but hard to look at these rosters and see anyone worse than the Nets, whose best player is still Jeremy Lin. I'd say they win 15-20 games tops..

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Can Bagley play center in the nba? He's got the size at 6'11 but I want to know

It seems his natural position is a rebounding wing/power forward who can create and shoot. But at 6'11 with a 7'0 wingspan he should have the frame for it. He needs to add weight if he wants to be a center full time, but at 220 pounds he has a solid base.

Long story short, the guy has been on NBA radar since he was a freshman in high school because he shows a legitimate ability to play inside and out. He has guard skills as a large pf. He is the kind of player franchise's tank their tails off for.

He's a PF. He would probably be most effective playing next to a bruiser like Baynes or Zizic. Most Cs in the league are still big strong dudes despite the media narrative.

And all signs point to a go. Duke it probably is..

I agree his natural position is PF. But due to his size, he wouldn't struggle for stretches at C. I can't imagine how good he would be in a spread it out system. If we stick a banger in there to clog up the lane, we lose a bit of that. I actually think he would complement Horford beautifully. Horford is a center at this stage who doesn't rebound. Bagley is a large PF who excels at rebounding. He is also quick enough to guard those perimeter 4s that are everywhere (one of the main reasons Horford at PF is useless is his inability to cover those 4s.)
#JKJB

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

They can try but hard to look at these rosters and see anyone worse than the Nets, whose best player is still Jeremy Lin. I'd say they win 15-20 games tops..
exactly

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Wow, Bagley moves like a guard.  Unbelievable how mobile and coordinated he is for someone who is 6'11. 

Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwDQd_6BbY&t=83s

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Can Bagley play center in the nba? He's got the size at 6'11 but I want to know

It seems his natural position is a rebounding wing/power forward who can create and shoot. But at 6'11 with a 7'0 wingspan he should have the frame for it. He needs to add weight if he wants to be a center full time, but at 220 pounds he has a solid base.

Long story short, the guy has been on NBA radar since he was a freshman in high school because he shows a legitimate ability to play inside and out. He has guard skills as a large pf. He is the kind of player franchise's tank their tails off for.

He's a PF. He would probably be most effective playing next to a bruiser like Baynes or Zizic. Most Cs in the league are still big strong dudes despite the media narrative.

And all signs point to a go. Duke it probably is..

I agree his natural position is PF. But due to his size, he wouldn't struggle for stretches at C. I can't imagine how good he would be in a spread it out system. If we stick a banger in there to clog up the lane, we lose a bit of that. I actually think he would complement Horford beautifully. Horford is a center at this stage who doesn't rebound. Bagley is a large PF who excels at rebounding. He is also quick enough to guard those perimeter 4s that are everywhere (one of the main reasons Horford at PF is useless is his inability to cover those 4s.)

It wouldn't be a total stretch for him to play C once he fills out into his frame. He would be a matchup nightmare at the 4 though. A guy with his size who can put it on the floor, and shoot from outside? You lose some of that with him at the 5 which is why GSW play Zaza at C and let KD and Draymond terrorize opposing forwards. My dream is to draft Bagley or Porter Jr and Doncic to create favorable matchups in terms of size and length at every position..

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
I don't want Doncic.  I am a huge fan of line-up flexibility but we do have 12,000 small forwards on our team.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I don't want Doncic.  I am a huge fan of line-up flexibility but we do have 12,000 small forwards on our team.

Doncic would be the primary ballhandler and playmaker in our system. Not a SF..

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Not only does Bagley reclassifying give the Celtics a shot at getting him, he also likely moves Porter, Ayton, Bamba, Doncic down a spot in the draft (assuming he goes #1), making it more likely the Celtics get one of those guys.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown

Someone has to defend the opposing point guard.  Doncic probably won't be great at defending 3's let alone point guards.

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Cool, but what does reclassify mean? Thanks again

He's old enough to get drafted next year, so if he has enough credits to graduate high school now instead of next year he can go to college this year and then be drafted next year (as opposed to going to high school for another year, then go to college and enter the 2019 draft, which is what will happen if he doesn't reclassify)

Basically he'd be changing what grade he's in to become eligible for the NCAA and NBA draft a year earlier

Never heard of that. Thank you.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Someone has to defend the opposing point guard.  Doncic probably won't be great at defending 3's let alone point guards.
do you know how tall magic johnson was? Elfrid Payton? Lonzo ball? Not all point guards are 5 ft

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Well, Brad does want to see how Jaylen guards point guards this year. Could we have a future of play-making wings with Jaylen as the defensive pg?

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Well, Brad does want to see how Jaylen guards point guards this year. Could we have a future of play-making wings with Jaylen as the defensive pg?

That's exactly how it would work. Jaylen would guard their best guard while Doncic would get the other. You'll see a very similar role from Hayward this year..

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Wow, Bagley moves like a guard.  Unbelievable how mobile and coordinated he is for someone who is 6'11. 

Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwDQd_6BbY&t=83s
he's like Bosh with SF athleticism and guard agility