Author Topic: Pierce on Tatum/Pierce comparisons: "he has the skills. Just needs the grit"  (Read 3180 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pierce commented on Tatum/pierce comparisons today. He said he has the skills. He mentioned how What separated himself(pierce) and others was that he had a grittiness, and he wants to see Tatum eventually get that

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=15203328&src=desktop
18:30 on the 7/18 podcast

The tv broadcast had the grit line. The podcast is missing pierce saying that. He says "he's got potential"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:54:09 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pierce commented on Tatum/pierce comparisons today. He said he has the skills. He mentioned how What separated himself(pierce) and others was that he had a grittiness, and he wants to see Tatum eventually get that

http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=15203328&src=desktop
18:30 on the 7/18 podcast

The tv broadcast had the grit line. The podcast is missing pierce saying that. He says "he's got potential"

Key for Tatum will be to add mass ... But not too much he cant execute the turnaround J

Add grit? You either have it naturally or can build through experience

1st thing is ...add mass

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Overall Tatum has more tools than a Shane Battier

But initially would love to see tatum pattern his game after him

Make open shots, quickly and efficiently.  Defensively use "range" "versatility" to wreak havoc.   

Once he nails these two things + his ball handling/perimeter skills....   Could be a good one

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

Make open shots, quickly and efficiently.  Defensively use "range" "versatility" to wreak havoc.   

Once he nails these two things + his ball handling/perimeter skills....   Could be a good one
He's got more tools than a Home Depot. Once he adds some weight and gets used to the league with the team leaders mentoring him he's gonna be a monster.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

One of the crazier things I've read here recently.  You'd like to see Tatum try to model his game after Shane Battier?  Where do you come up with this stuff!?  I can't tell if you're trolling here..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:06:25 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Found video on pierce talking about Tatum

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bbeqoyD-hUw

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

One of the crazier things I've read here recently.  You'd like to see Tatum try to model his game after Shane Battier?  Where do you come up with this stuff!?  I can't tell if you're trolling here..

In a world where Jordan Mickey is a future star, Shane Battier is transcendent.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I see way more Carmelo Anthony than anyone else in Tatum's game but I really hope he can learn to make some quicker decisions and not isolate and ball stop every time.  I don't see much Pierce in his game now like others do, but he would be a great one to study.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I see way more Carmelo Anthony than anyone else in Tatum's game but I really hope he can learn to make some quicker decisions and not isolate and ball stop every time.  I don't see much Pierce in his game now like others do, but he would be a great one to study.
He's going to get a crash course in pace and space basketball from CBS this year. He's good in ISO but needs to learn to fit in to team concept. I'm sure there will be growing pains with him this season.

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Tatum will be fine.  I think what Triboy was saying is that Tatum will have good fundamentals like Battier but obviously can score more.  I think Tatum will have the craftiness of Pierce giving him the ability to score in various ways but Pierce did have a level of grittiness that allowed him to play defense and grab important rebounds.  Tatum may not have that element if his game at the same level as Pierce.  Being Paul Pierce is a lot to ask.

My comparable is Reggie Lewis.  I see similarities in how he gathers for his shots.  It is going to be fun to see how his game plays out.

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

I agree; Battier was a terrific example of a 3&D wing. There has to be more to a player comparison than height and school they attended...

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Tatum will be fine.  I think what Triboy was saying is that Tatum will have good fundamentals like Battier but obviously can score more.  I think Tatum will have the craftiness of Pierce giving him the ability to score in various ways but Pierce did have a level of grittiness that allowed him to play defense and grab important rebounds.  Tatum may not have that element if his game at the same level as Pierce.  Being Paul Pierce is a lot to ask.

My comparable is Reggie Lewis.  I see similarities in how he gathers for his shots.  It is going to be fun to see how his game plays out.

I agree Reggie Lewis is probably a little better comparison than Pierce at least at this point.  Pierce had a power to his game I'm not sure Tatum has.  Reggie was a very good defensive player that Jason will need to work on.  Reggie was a questionable 3 point shooter though, and I think Jason will be just fine there.

I said it elsewhere but in today's game a better Rudy Gay.  Gay has averaged close to 19 PPG for his career, but has become known really as an empty stats guy without much D or passing. Those are 2 areas Tatum really needs to work on.  They have similar body types, but I think Tatum will hopefully end up with a more diverse and well balanced game.

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
People keep trying to compare to former Celtics but he so much like Carmelo. His ISO game is so similar. He is much bigger than Pierce and will probably end up 6'9" 240. But right now he needs to add more weight.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
People keep trying to compare to former Celtics but he so much like Carmelo. His ISO game is so similar. He is much bigger than Pierce and will probably end up 6'9" 240. But right now he needs to add more weight.

ISO is a bad word for most fans but you need ISO plays in the NBA, as frustrating as they can be. Halfcourt defenses in the NBA are GOOD, and passing into good shots isn't always as easy as a lot of people think.

What Tatum will need to learn good decision making, when to go ISO for the score and when to pass it off for a better shot..

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

ISO is a bad word for most fans but you need ISO plays in the NBA, as frustrating as they can be. Halfcourt defenses in the NBA are GOOD, and passing into good shots isn't always as easy as a lot of people think.

What Tatum will need to learn good decision making, when to go ISO for the score and when to pass it off for a better shot..
[/quote/]

TP+1