Author Topic: Noel, Mavs far apart on deal  (Read 6460 times)

Re: Noel, Mavs far apart on deal
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
double post
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Dallas has the right to match any offer made and they will.  They want him they're just waiting for the market to set the price ( someone signing him to an offer sheet).  If it doesn't happen he either works out a deal with them or signs the qualifying offer.  End of story, there's no deal for us to work out ....

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Dallas has the right to match any offer made and they will.  They want him they're just waiting for the market to set the price ( someone signing him to an offer sheet).  If it doesn't happen he either works out a deal with them or signs the qualifying offer.  End of story, there's no deal for us to work out ....

And perhaps something similar would happen w smart or IT next summer

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

And perhaps something similar would happen w smart or IT next summer
We would have the right to match with Smart as he's a RFA.IT can do whatever he wants as he is unrestricted. The market may well help set his rate but more than likely he will get the deal he wants.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Mark Cuban use to to make Dallas look like the place to play. No longer. I am hopeful Noel walks aftter this year. Maybe Dallas will come to their senses and give him market value. You trade for a guy then not give him the money. Sad and Wrong, IMO.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Mark Cuban use to to make Dallas look like the place to play. No longer. I am hopeful Noel walks aftter this year. Maybe Dallas will come to their senses and give him market value. You trade for a guy then not give him the money. Sad and Wrong, IMO.
well that is the rub, what is market value?  It isn't just what Noel wants now is it?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
why not trade Horford for him? and yes, i know he can't shoot.

Because Dallas wouldn't do it in 1 billions years
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I do not blame the Mavs they are playing this smart. Restricted Free agency is the one time where a team has some leverage in the FA process. Unless a another team makes an offer that the Mavs have to match there is not reason to go crazy over paying Noel. Noel and his camp likely expected a huge pay day but given the big man market this isnt realistic. With his injury concerns simply accepting the qualifying offer and gambling on the big pay next next off-season is a huge risk or Noel.

At the end of the day they will sign a contract probably in line with the one Dieng signed.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I do not blame the Mavs they are playing this smart. Restricted Free agency is the one time where a team has some leverage in the FA process. Unless a another team makes an offer that the Mavs have to match there is not reason to go crazy over paying Noel. Noel and his camp likely expected a huge pay day but given the big man market this isnt realistic. With his injury concerns simply accepting the qualifying offer and gambling on the big pay next next off-season is a huge risk or Noel.

At the end of the day they will sign a contract probably in line with the one Dieng signed.

Exactly....

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 03:21:16 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Sure. And they also wouldn't trade Crowder, Brandon Weight, and a 1st round pick for a player they'd send home 3 months later because they hated him so much.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 04:48:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sure. And they also wouldn't trade Crowder, Brandon Weight, and a 1st round pick for a player they'd send home 3 months later because they hated him so much.
Crowder was barely getting 16mpg on Dallas, hardly like they traded the strong 3&D swing he's become. Wright has always been thereabouts as a decent backup big man, and the pick was expected to be quite lowly.
They also didn't know Rondo would clash so much with Carlisle and co. So a bit weird for you to act as if they could predict what exactly was going to happen. Hindsight is 20/20

Also, I think they would rather keep Noel to help build around Barnes and Smith. So doubt they'd go for an old and incredibly expensive big man.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 06:19:49 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

Crowder was barely getting 16mpg on Dallas, hardly like they traded the strong 3&D swing he's become. Wright has always been thereabouts as a decent backup big man, and the pick was expected to be quite lowly.
They also didn't know Rondo would clash so much with Carlisle and co. So a bit weird for you to act as if they could predict what exactly was going to happen. Hindsight is 20/20

Also, I think they would rather keep Noel to help build around Barnes and Smith. So doubt they'd go for an old and incredibly expensive big man.
They would take Horford and laugh all the way to the bank, even if it was just to trade him later in the season. He has waaay more value around the league than Noel. Has Noel had interest from anyone this off season? There were plenty of teams with cap space to begin with, if they felt strongly about Noel he'd be on a team already.
well that is the rub, what is market value?  It isn't just what Noel wants now is it?
Exactly. Noel has his opinion based on the contracts handed out the last few years. The trouble is that those contracts aren't being handed out any longer.
Elite big men will get paid. The drop off in pay after that is steep as teams realise that they can get a player similar to you for a fraction of the price. That's the problem Noel has, he isn't an elite big man and he isn't willing to accept a low pay day. Unfortunately for him only one of those things can change...

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 06:44:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

They would take Horford and laugh all the way to the bank, even if it was just to trade him later in the season. He has waaay more value around the league than Noel. Has Noel had interest from anyone this off season? There were plenty of teams with cap space to begin with, if they felt strongly about Noel he'd be on a team already.
I doubt it, considering they'd have to give up a considerable amount more to match salary wise, which could tip it over the edge.

I think neither team would want to do this. Dallas wouldn't really be interested in Horford, because they'd have to give up lots and they're a relatively young team, and Boston has no reason to give up their best big man.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I doubt it, considering they'd have to give up a considerable amount more to match salary wise, which could tip it over the edge.

I think neither team would want to do this. Dallas wouldn't really be interested in Horford, because they'd have to give up lots and they're a relatively young team, and Boston has no reason to give up their best big man.
Ok so I was basing this on the comment from trickybilly that 'Dallas wouldn't do it in a million years'. To me he was suggesting that a trade straight up would be rejected by Dallas. This also in the context that Noel gets his supposed market value of $20m per, which I also disagree with. Were that to be the case Dallas would not need to give up much more salary to make it work.

I absolutely agree that Boston wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be trading anyone on our team for Noel given what he is asking for. Same reasons existed 6 months ago when it was being brought up.

If it was Horford for Noel straight up do you really think Dallas would say no?

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Ok so I was basing this on the comment from trickybilly that 'Dallas wouldn't do it in a million years'. To me he was suggesting that a trade straight up would be rejected by Dallas. This also in the context that Noel gets his supposed market value of $20m per, which I also disagree with. Were that to be the case Dallas would not need to give up much more salary to make it work.

I absolutely agree that Boston wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be trading anyone on our team for Noel given what he is asking for. Same reasons existed 6 months ago when it was being brought up.

If it was Horford for Noel straight up do you really think Dallas would say no?
Straight up? Highly doubt they'd say no.

But you can't ignore context when discussing things like this, which seems to be very common on this blog sometimes.