Author Topic: Noel, Mavs far apart on deal  (Read 6458 times)

Re: Noel, Mavs far apart on deal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I like how his agents name is Happy Walters. That's chill.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Mark Cuban will always have his one championship. But he is not all that he makes himself out to be. Give the man a big one year contract and let him prove himself. Jeez.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:47:23 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
So would any CBers like for the Celtics to make a run at Massachusetts' own Nerlens Noel?

If so, what would it take to get a deal done?

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Barring vet mins, were done for the offseason.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So would any CBers like for the Celtics to make a run at Massachusetts' own Nerlens Noel?

It's not readily doable.  We'll assume Noel requires a minimum of $18 million this year in order for him to agree to a deal, which is more than what Dieng got but less than Adams.  That means the Celtics need to send out $13 million in salary.  We can't do that right now and pay a fair price.

If Noel holds out, and we a) feel like we're not going to resign Smart next season, and b) Rozier has taken a big step forward, you could maybe sell me on a trade of Smart, Morris, and Baynes.  Maybe.  That trade could be made beginning December 15th.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:04:45 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

The only salaries that we could use to match are for players that are far better than he is. The only way this deal gets done this offseason is if we didn't get Hayward. Then we'd have Olynyk, Zeller and AB's salary and the flexibility to move one or more of those guys for Noel. But once the Hayward deal was done, we're basically locked out of those deals from $12-$20m.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:11 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The only salaries that we could use to match are for players that are far better than he is. The only way this deal gets done this offseason is if we didn't get Hayward. Then we'd have Olynyk, Zeller and AB's salary and the flexibility to move one or more of those guys for Noel. But once the Hayward deal was done, we're basically locked out of those deals from $12-$20m.

This is why it's going to be very hard for us to trade for someone at least on the fringe level potential or already there all star.  We now have players on great value contracts therefore we are likely overpaying in assets to match salaries in a deal like in this example for Noel, or we don't have high enough salaries at all to match once we get into a star making in the 20 mil plus.

Of course once we start talking about a megastar like Davis it then becomes easier to have more equal value in a trade as we are more likely to throw in a Tatum or Brown or both.  Even Horford too. Those players won't be used to match salaries for a lower level star, or someone like Noel.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Agree with previous the other posts. No chance Boston is in play for Nerlens

HOWEVER... i would love to see Brooklyn offer a giant contract to Nerlens. If they can lose some cap space for the summer of 2018, it'll take away another bidder for IT4, lowering his price across the league. This is chess, not checkers.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

HOWEVER... i would love to see Brooklyn offer a giant contract to Nerlens. If they can lose some cap space for the summer of 2018, it'll take away another bidder for IT4, lowering his price across the league. This is chess, not checkers.

I doubt that would have any impact on how much Danny will be willing to pay Thomas.

Thomas' price will most likely be set based on negotiating comparables, not via a bidding war.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Mark Cuban will always have his one championship. But he is not all that he makes himself out to be. Give the man a big one year contract and let him prove himself. Jeez.

And then lose their rights to him next summer? Cuban gave up assets for him because he wants him long term
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I doubt that would have any impact on how much Danny will be willing to pay Thomas.

Thomas' price will most likely be set based on negotiating comparables, not via a bidding war.

tell that to Miami and Portland. Brooklyn ruined those cap spaces with the Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson offer sheets.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

tell that to Miami and Portland. Brooklyn ruined those cap spaces with the Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson offer sheets.

There's a big difference between giving an offer sheet that you know the other team will match and offering big money to a player who 1. might take you up on the offer and 2. would ruin your first chance to tank in a decade if you did sign him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

And then lose their rights to him next summer? Cuban gave up assets for him because he wants him long term

The assets were a mediocre Justin Anderson and a second, so the risk of losing him was thoroughly priced in.

But if they force Noel to accept a qualifying offer, his cap hold next summer would be under $8 million (if I have correct info on his qualifying offer).  If he plays well (and stays healthy) this season, and the Mavs make amends by signing him to a large deal, they could create a lot of extra cap space next summer.  They'd easily have room for a max FA, and maybe a second major free agent if Matthews opts out.  If they can't get Noel on a bargain this season, going that route could make a lot of sense.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
why not trade Horford for him? and yes, i know he can't shoot.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)