Author Topic: Who takes Avery Bradley's Spot in the Lineup?  (Read 4170 times)

Re: Who takes Avery Bradley's Spot in the Lineup?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:30 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Like the idea of Nader playing the point when they need to allow IT to play off the ball or if they want to play an all wing lineup.

Nader, Brown, Hayward, Crowder, Morris

The logical conclusion to positionless basketball. Wings generally have the greatest combination of skills. As long as they can 3-ball chuck, anyone can play this game these days anyway.

Anyhow, it'll probably be Smart, I'd prefer Brown. Imagine Brown as the 5th option.

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 06:18:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Hopefully Brown. If he primarily focuses on playing strong, fundamental D, he could be the perfect lower-usage 3 and D type of big 2 that would work well between IT and Hayward.

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Hopefully Brown. If he primarily focuses on playing strong, fundamental D, he could be the perfect lower-usage 3 and D type of big 2 that would work well between IT and Hayward.
I agree.  You also keep Smart coming off the bench to run the second team. Brown is not ready for that assignment.  I like Brown with other two scorers just D-ing up the other teams best guard and not worrying about the offense yet. 

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think coach Stevens has his hands full with the starting lineup.

To me if IT is healthy than our definite starters are him, horford and Haywood.  After that it will depend on who fits best with starters and second unit.  I personally think smart is kept on bench to run team but rozier might be ready for that.
Those last two starting spots are up for grabs, could be anyone of, Morris, crowder, brown, smart, rozier, baynes(?) just depends on what our coach sees

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I don't think it will be Smart because we need him to run the all-2nd unit that Stevens play during the 2nd Quarter.

I guess it will be Hayward, with Crowder playing the 3.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:02 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Like the idea of Nader playing the point when they need to allow IT to play off the ball or if they want to play an all wing lineup.

Nader, Brown, Hayward, Crowder, Morris

The logical conclusion to positionless basketball. Wings generally have the greatest combination of skills. As long as they can 3-ball chuck, anyone can play this game these days anyway.

Anyhow, it'll probably be Smart, I'd prefer Brown. Imagine Brown as the 5th option.

Nader's ball handling skills looked shaky in the summer league, I shudder to think what would happen if they tried to have him be the primary ball handler against an NBA defense. I actually think Nader has little chance of getting much playing time this year. I expect that in addition to being the primary ball handler when IT is on the bench, Smart will also get plenty of time with IT playing off the ball.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean I'm not sure Browns ball handling would matter much in the starting lineup. You have Thomas getting most of the ball handling duties with Hayward getting a fair amount and even Horford getting some out of the post. That doesn't leave a hole lot left for Brown anyway, so there's really no risk there. Hes already IMO as good or better of a passer than Bradley was anyway. The bigger issue is defense. I definitely don't want Hayward having to defend PG's or even most 2's, he's gonna be splitting the offensive load with Thomas so no reason to run him ragged on defense. Smart has to prove he can shoot, I don't want to see us get an offense upgrade with Hayward only to have to start Smart and destroy our spacing. We already saw them start Jaylen over Smart last year when Bradley was out. My guess is its either Jaylen, or Hayward at the 2 with Crowder, Horford, Baynes and make up the guard defense by switching everything.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The only reason it shouldn't be Smart is his value on the second unit.

I'm not sure Hayward is anything more than a short term answer at the 2, (I'm sure Crowder will be rooting for him to become the starting SG), and Brown at this point is not only an unreliable scorer, but doesn't facilitate for anyone, and isn't a suitable ball handler for the position just yet.

Smart is an excellent defender at the PG or the SG position, he can help IT run the team with this playmaking, giving him opportunities as the off guard, for a play or two, causing the defense a moment of potential confusion. IMO Smart is the best choice.

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I'm not sure Hayward is anything more than a short term answer at the 2, (I'm sure Crowder will be rooting for him to become the starting SG), and Brown at this point is not only an unreliable scorer, but doesn't facilitate for anyone, and isn't a suitable ball handler for the position just yet.

Smart is an excellent defender at the PG or the SG position, he can help IT run the team with this playmaking, giving him opportunities as the off guard, for a play or two, causing the defense a moment of potential confusion. IMO Smart is the best choice.
This.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

This.

Disagree. Starting Smart would mean that we would have nobody that can effectively run offense on the second unit. Rozier has PG size, but is a SG at heart and doesn't look to feed teammates. Not to mention that the facilitator ability of Thomas, Hayward, and Horford would mean that Smart will be playing a large majority of those starter minutes off-ball. Not ideal.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

This.

Disagree. Starting Smart would mean that we would have nobody that can effectively run offense on the second unit. Rozier has PG size, but is a SG at heart and doesn't look to feed teammates. Not to mention that the facilitator ability of Thomas, Hayward, and Horford would mean that Smart will be playing a large majority of those starter minutes off-ball. Not ideal.

Which is why Rozier is my biggest concern heading into the season for the second year in a row.  Jaylen doesn't look ready, and Hayward is not a SG.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:40:22 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I don't think Rozier plays 3rd string beginning of the  season. My guess is they start Smart to guard opposing PG&SGs and see how Rozier has progressed. Hes made big plays and has tons of experience. I think This is his leap or get traded year imo. Rozier has strong handle and penetration skills if he can develop and control it all season. I think theyll give him a shot if not showcase him for a trade

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 10:28:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Arron Afflalo.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Brad will start Crowder if Hayward starts at SG; Brown if Hayward is at SF. It really depends where Brad wants Hayward since he is the most important of all players on our team this year and he needs to play where he is most effective.

Also, yes, I understand that CBS uses 'positionless' basketball, but Hayward has to guard somebody (when he isn't switching).

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm not sure Hayward is anything more than a short term answer at the 2,

I don't get this thinking at all.   Hayward has played the 2 a ton throughout his NBA career, including a lot this last year.  He's one of the best wings in the NBA.  He's elite on offense and an above average defender.

How is he NOT the answer at the 2?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.