Author Topic: With a weaker Eastern Conference, could the Celtics win 60+ games this season??  (Read 12767 times)

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Winning 60 or more games is no easy feat, but with players like Jimmy Butler and Paul George (maybe even Carmelo Anthony as well, but the Knicks weren't very competitive last season) heading out West, us improving our roster by adding Gordon Hayward and drafting Jayson Tatum and Semi Ojeleye, our returning players improving, etc. does this team have the manpower to win 60+ in a historically bad Eastern Conference?? I for one hope that the Celtics can claim the 1 seed again; I know that in Boston we don't celebrate playoff berths, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't still care about defending our status as the top seed in the East, even if we're not considered favorites to come out of the East, yet. Your thoughts??
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
The main thing is to close the gap between us and Cleveland. I think DA has done that. Now the players and coach have to go out and get it done.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
playoffs is the main thing that matters

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
The main thing is to close the gap between us and Cleveland. I think DA has done that. Now the players and coach have to go out and get it done.

I for one am hoping that Carmelo chooses to go to Houston to play for a team that won more games than Cleveland did last season. We'll see though; I mean, the Cavs just signed Calderon but he doesn't sound like he's the guy who'd help them take out the Warriors next season.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Winning 60 or more games is no easy feat, but with players like Jimmy Butler and Paul George (maybe even Carmelo Anthony as well, but the Knicks weren't very competitive last season) heading out West, us improving our roster by adding Gordon Hayward and drafting Jayson Tatum and Semi Ojeleye, our returning players improving, etc. does this team have the manpower to win 60+ in a historically bad Eastern Conference?? I for one hope that the Celtics can claim the 1 seed again; I know that in Boston we don't celebrate playoff berths, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't still care about defending our status as the top seed in the East, even if we're not considered favorites to come out of the East, yet. Your thoughts??

Great point, 60 is in sight, and our scoring differential should be way higher, too. Last season we didn't get many blowouts, this season we'll get loads of them, season sweeps possible of half the conference.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
It's possible, but unlikely. Moving from 53 wins to 60 is a huge leap. I'm looking for more like 55-57, which would still be commendable.

Mike

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It all depends on the health of IT, and the team in general.

If the season opens and we have last years IT, we're in business. 58-60 games is a possibility. The reality is I'm suspicious of his present health. Sorry but NO new isn't good new in this situation.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
It all depends on the health of IT, and the team in general.

If the season opens and we have last years IT, we're in business. 58-60 games is a possibility. The reality is I'm suspicious of his present health. Sorry but NO new isn't good new in this situation.
i tend to agree
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think 57-58 is not unrealistic based on a weaker East but there's a lot of tough teams out West they still have to play

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It's possible, but unlikely. Moving from 53 wins to 60 is a huge leap. I'm looking for more like 55-57, which would still be commendable.

Mike

Without taking fit, chemistry, and health into the equation, we got better across the board.

I LOVE Bradley, but Hayward is better. Baynes is better than Amir. Morris and KO are similar impact-wise IMO, but Morris has more versatility, especially defensively.

Then you have this season's Jaylen vs last. I can't see how he's not improved. Same with Smart.

And now you have Tatum, who should be a RotY candidate if he gets the minutes.

All in all, this team is better than last year's 53-win team.
CELTICS 2024

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8

Mike
Without taking fit, chemistry, and health into the equation, we got better across the board.
Fit, chemistry, and health are a vital part of the equation...

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think they should improve up to 60 wins or close to it this year. They have a big advantage in a weak conference. They might even have enough to beat the Cavs in the playoffs. As usual, it all depends on injuries. IT has to be OK with his hip, and they have to be better defensively up front with Ainge's additions.

Danny has pretty much cleaned out last year's bigs except for Horford, and replaced them with tougher, more defensive players. He's also added scoring in Hayward and Morris. He has a nice combination of veterans and youth with upside in Tatum and Brown.

There has been a lot of conjecture about the starting 5. Safe to say it will include Hayward, Horford and a healthy IT. The other two guys are anybody's guess. But they have a lot of depth, and it's likely the lineup will change according to matchups.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am honestly expecting it. The Cs will be favorites in the vast majority of games they play and there are a lot more games against EC opponents than WC ones.

Assuming good luck with injuries and decent cohesiveness, we easily have the talent to reach 60 without pounding IT and Hayward into the ground. Our depth, while young, is a lot more exciting than other teams.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Mike
Fit, chemistry, and health are a vital part of the equation...

And also impossible to predict in July.

In other words, we got better on paper.
CELTICS 2024