Author Topic: With a weaker Eastern Conference, could the Celtics win 60+ games this season??  (Read 12874 times)

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
A lot has happened since this thread was started. Due to their great start, the Celtics only have to go 38-18 to get to 60 wins now. That is unbelievable.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:04:02 PM by johnnygreen »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I lot has happened since this thread was started. Due to their great start, the Celtics only have to go 38-18 to get to 60 wins now. That is unbelievable.

That's still a 55 win pace, so it's not as though it's a trivial thing to do.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The East is not as weak as many expected... nets knicks pacers  and pistons are better than advertised... for now anyway

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the celtics are 6-2 since the streak ended. projecting that silly small sample size over the rest of the season it would give them 42 more wins. that is a total, for those keeping score at home, of 64 wins.

if they finish the rest of the season at a 59% win rate, they finish with 55 wins. not an outrageous winning percentage.

it will be an interesting ride this year. 6 minutes into game one of the season who would have predicted 22 and 4 as a record for this team?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Right now, the pie in the sky question about wins is asking if they can reach 70, not 60. I know the streak skews things but I think based on their current record that they’re on pace for 69+.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
the celtics are 6-2 since the streak ended. projecting that silly small sample size over the rest of the season it would give them 42 more wins. that is a total, for those keeping score at home, of 64 wins.

if they finish the rest of the season at a 59% win rate, they finish with 55 wins. not an outrageous winning percentage.

it will be an interesting ride this year. 6 minutes into game one of the season who would have predicted 22 and 4 as a record for this team?

Absolutely no one, and whoever thought we would go on above 10+ winning streak is lying like !@#$  :angel:
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I lot has happened since this thread was started. Due to their great start, the Celtics only have to go 38-18 to get to 60 wins now. That is unbelievable.

That's still a 55 win pace, so it's not as though it's a trivial thing to do.

Good point, keeping it in perspective.

On the other side, going .500 for the rest of the season would net 50 wins. 54 would mean five straight years of increased wins.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Can we win 60?  Hell, we're GOING to win 60.

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I'd rather we save some wins for the playoffs.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
To me, this looks like a team  that will win 60 games without overachieving massively.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
To me, this looks like a team  that will win 60 games without overachieving massively.
Pretty easy schedule thus far and pretty strong health from the now top 5 (i.e. Kyrie, Al, Jaylen, Jayson, and Marcus).  60 is certainly obtainable, but I'd put the odds at more like 57 wins at this point in the season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Pretty easy schedule thus far and pretty strong health from the now top 5 (i.e. Kyrie, Al, Jaylen, Jayson, and Marcus).  60 is certainly obtainable, but I'd put the odds at more like 57 wins at this point in the season.

Yeah, once you manipulate the data so we don’t factor in being the only team to lose an all star for the year, ignore that Kyrie has been wearing a protective mask for almost a month, and ignore the health issues of our 6th-7th best player Marcus Morris... then yeah, we sure have been lucky with health...
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah, once you manipulate the data so we don’t factor in being the only team to lose an all star for the year, ignore that Kyrie has been wearing a protective mask for almost a month, and ignore the health issues of our 6th-7th best player Marcus Morris... then yeah, we sure have been lucky with health...
Haywards injury is irrelevant. He's not coming back in any meaningful capacity.

Our health has been about average. Al, Irving and Smart have each missed 2 games. Morris has missed a bunch and now Browns missed a few.

Schedule hasn't been that easy. We are a little below average sos. Cleveland has the 2nd easiest in the league thus far for whatever that's worth.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We've had the 14th strongest schedule so far, which is about smack in the middle. Where exactly do you expect us to be, on average, anyway?

Teams with notably weaker schedule than ours so far: Cleveland (28th), San Antonio (27th), Houston (22th). Yet, somehow I haven't seen anyone question their status because of soft schedule.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
We've had the 14th strongest schedule so far, which is about smack in the middle. Where exactly do you expect us to be, on average, anyway?

Teams with notably weaker schedule than ours so far: Cleveland (28th), San Antonio (27th), Houston (22th). Yet, somehow I haven't seen anyone question their status because of soft schedule.
then you aren't paying attention
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip