Poll

Lose Bradley (Trade). Sign Hayward (Free Agency). Upgrade Or Not?

Huge Upgrade
61 (69.3%)
Moderate Upgrade
25 (28.4%)
Slight Upgrade Only
2 (2.3%)
Pretty Much The Same, Honestly
0 (0%)
We Took A Step Back. Hayward Is (Really) Overrated/Bradley Underrated
0 (0%)
I Don't Know (Just Can't Say Now..)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: I Feel Like People Are Overrating Bradley/Underrating Hayward  (Read 11492 times)

Re: I Feel Like People Are Overrating Bradley/Underrating Hayward
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Smart is a big defensive playmaker

He is versatile and can get into peoples skin

But he still gets roasted on defense. He cant keep up all game with quick talented players. Not too many can.

Bradley is a better defender than Smart is. I don't know where people think otherwise. Probably because Bradley is also an offensive player while Smart is ****e in that category.

With that said. On this team, Smart will be maximized. He wont get as many minutes though.

If you get past your Smart hatred you will see that Bradley gets roasted on defense as well. Take for example against Washington, it was clear that Beal was feasting on Bradley and when Smart got on him had a hard time scoring. In the same way that Smart had a rougher time with Wall than Bradley.

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think if we have a starting unit of:

IT
Brown
Hayward
Morris
Horford

And then bring in off the bench, in order, Smart, Baynes, Crowder, Tatum, Rozier and make the substitution pattern such that either IT or Gordon or both are on the court at all times. We will be a slightly better defensive team than last year and much better offensive team.

Unfortunately, unless Horford, Morris, Hayward and Brown can all average above 6 rebounds a game while getting 5 a game from Baynes, we are once again going to get killed on the boards.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:44:01 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

IT
Brown
Hayward
Morris
Horford

And then bring in off the bench, in order, Smart, Baynes, Crowder, Tatum, Rozier and make the substitution pattern such that either IT or Gordon or both are on the court at all times, we will be a slightly better defensive team than last year and much better offensive team.

Unfortunately, unless Horford, Morris, Hayward and Brown can all average above 6 rebounds a game while getting y a game from Baynes, we are once agaun going to get killed on the boards.

I doubt Crowder will come off the bench but that's the lineup I would try (early enough to change if needed).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

IT
Brown
Hayward
Morris
Horford

And then bring in off the bench, in order, Smart, Baynes, Crowder, Tatum, Rozier and make the substitution pattern such that either IT or Gordon or both are on the court at all times, we will be a slightly better defensive team than last year and much better offensive team.

Unfortunately, unless Horford, Morris, Hayward and Brown can all average above 6 rebounds a game while getting y a game from Baynes, we are once agaun going to get killed on the boards.

I doubt Crowder will come off the bench but that's the lineup I would try (early enough to change if needed).

Good with this, but, my guess is Stevens starts Baynes a la Johnson last year. In the above this puts Morris off the bench somewhere.

And yes, Crowder and his agent need him to start and this maybe our "drama" for this season. worse problems than having to decide which hard working team player needs the start on a given night.

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There is no way Crowder should start at the 4.  Now if Hayward is the 2, then Crowder starting at the 3 makes fine sense.

Stevens will obviously try out lineups, but I think he originally goes with Thomas, Smart, Hayward, Morris, and Horford.  I wouldn't be surprised at any number of lineups in which Brown, Crowder, and Baynes are all in various lineup iterations as a starter though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
There is no way Crowder should start at the 4.  Now if Hayward is the 2, then Crowder starting at the 3 makes fine sense.

Stevens will obviously try out lineups, but I think he originally goes with Thomas, Smart, Hayward, Morris, and Horford.  I wouldn't be surprised at any number of lineups in which Brown, Crowder, and Baynes are all in various lineup iterations as a starter though.

Bigs-Wings-Ball Handlers. There is no more traditional 1-5 anymore. Get use to it.

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Bigs-Wings-Ball Handlers. There is no more traditional 1-5 anymore. Get use to it.
Why, because Brad S said so? Did someone send the memo to the other 29 teams so that they would kindly not field SGs and PFs against us this season?

P.S. Also, you're missing a category. It's supposedly Ballhandlers-Swings-Wings-Bigs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Why, because Brad S said so? Did someone send the memo to the other 29 teams so that they would kindly not field SGs and PFs against us this season?

They're welcome to send all the 6'4" SGs and stiff 6'10" PFs they like, and we'll see who wins.

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
They're welcome to send all the 6'4" SGs and stiff 6'10" PFs they like, and we'll see who wins.
I can't wait to watch Hayward trying to stay with Bradley Beal and Morris banging it out with Tristan Thompson. It will be grand.  8)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Yes, I can't wait to watch Hayward trying to stay with Bradley Beal and Morris banging it out with Tristan Thompson. It will be grand.  8)

Tristan Thompson was very much a center last year, and given that the Cavs haven't changed much of their roster, should be again this year.

And I can't wait to see Bradley Beal hang with Gordon Hayward, also.

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yes, I can't wait to watch Hayward trying to stay with Bradley Beal and Morris banging it out with Tristan Thompson. It will be grand.  8)

Tristan Thompson was very much a center last year, and given that the Cavs haven't changed much of their roster, should be again this year.

Ok, we'll put Horford on Thompson, and Morris will have to stay with Love... somehow this rearrangement doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Ok, we'll put Horford on Thompson, and Morris will have to stay with Love... somehow this rearrangement doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I'm actually very interested to see Morris on Love, for one.  But more importantly, your positional hangup completely misses the goal of having three guys on the court at the same time who can defend LeBron, which will somewhat limit the Cavs go-to LeBron PnR plays, and keep his defenders a bit fresher.

You don't beat the Cavs in the playoffs by stopping Love or Thompson.  You beat them by stopping LeBron.  And that's what the revolving door of 6'6" to 6'9" defenders gives you a chance to do.  If Love beats you, you tip your cap.  The game plan should always be make someone other than LeBron beat you.

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Get's me all warm and tingly.  It's a big improvement over having Amir out there.

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I'm actually very interested to see Morris on Love, for one.  But more importantly, your positional hangup completely misses the goal of having three guys on the court at the same time who can defend LeBron, which will somewhat limit the Cavs go-to LeBron PnR plays, and keep his defenders a bit fresher.

You don't beat the Cavs in the playoffs by stopping Love or Thompson.  You beat them by stopping LeBron.  And that's what the revolving door of 6'6" to 6'9" defenders gives you a chance to do.  If Love beats you, you tip your cap.  The game plan should always be make someone other than LeBron beat you.
So why not just field 5 guys that can guard LeBron on switches? Where does it stop?

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

So why not just field 5 guys that can guard LeBron on switches? Where does it stop?

I would not be surprised to see that lineup at least for small bits.  Smart-Brown-Hayward-Crowder-Morris is a perfectly reasonable lineup, especially considering the Cavs run LeBron as a de facto center sometimes.

So it probably stops at 6 guys who can guard LeBron, since that's against the rules.