Author Topic: Life Length Question  (Read 3397 times)

Life Length Question
« on: July 16, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
This past week a high school classmate of mine passed away.  He was 49 years old and by all accounts a great guy (as I remembered him to be from high school).  On our class Facebook Page there were many tributes to him and lots of comments along the lines of, "So sad.  Too young."  or "So young to go.",  "Life's too short." etc...

My question is; what is the cutoff date where someone is "too young" to die?  At some age we switch our sentiments to; "Well, he/she lived a good long life."

What is that age now?  When I was younger 75 seemed like a good long life.  Nowadays 85-90?

Is there a sweet spot where we can say, "Wow. He/she died at just the right age?"

I guess it varies from person to person.  One person's 50 years may be like 90 to another.

Anyhow...does seem too young.
Yup

Re: Life Length Question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The answer is it depends. This is a subjective interpretation isn't It?

For those who are doing the dying, I am sure most of them would answer "now is too early".  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Its a good question. I think the perception of that cut-off age changes based on our own personal age, i.e. to an 18 year old version of us, 50 seems relatively old enough. To a 40 or 45 year old version of us, 50 seems pretty young to die.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd say in America in 2017 too young is anything before IHOP would give you a senior discount (55) and lived a full life is like 77 especially if they had a bunch of grandkids, and everything between that is "I'm so sorry."

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 The real stinger was he technically was in his 40's. The golden years 60's and 70's can be some of the happiest moments of people's lives, so you wish good health and fortune to all people in hopes they get to experience a good chunk of the Golden Years.

Tp Redz and sorry for your lost. Stress is a killer so take it easy when you can and enjoy every moment.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
If a person didn't have time to achieve his/her potential then they went too early. If they founded a family, were acomplished in their career, even though they could have done more, then they had their time. It is always too brief however you take it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:15:28 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
This past week a high school classmate of mine passed away.  He was 49 years old and by all accounts a great guy (as I remembered him to be from high school).  On our class Facebook Page there were many tributes to him and lots of comments along the lines of, "So sad.  Too young."  or "So young to go.",  "Life's too short." etc...

My question is; what is the cutoff date where someone is "too young" to die?  At some age we switch our sentiments to; "Well, he/she lived a good long life."

What is that age now?  When I was younger 75 seemed like a good long life.  Nowadays 85-90?

Is there a sweet spot where we can say, "Wow. He/she died at just the right age?"

I guess it varies from person to person.  One person's 50 years may be like 90 to another.

Anyhow...does seem too young.

Life expectancy has drastically changed in the past 3 decades.  Some doctors believe the human body is made to live to 150 years!  Once we know, the average life expectancy we have a habit of programming the body to die-at a cellular level.   49 is way too young!

78.9 average in US
76.30 for men
81.30 for women
Yes women on average live 5 years longer

81.96  Sweden and Norway

Now that is the average.  49 means- he was on average cheated out of 27 good years-which is 50 percent of his life span on the day he died.

I think its tragic that he died. I hope you are in good health. But more importantly, living life to the fullest-Redtz.

I have always planned on living until 105.
I am currently going though a serious health scare-atm.
So I can relate.

Time-What is to be done? How shall we spend our days? 

These questions make the daily struggle seem petty and meaningless.

Except the Celtics of course.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Holy ____!!

If it's 78.9.....I am 78.2.....and I'm concerned about the upcoming C's season?

Redz' Dad

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:25:03 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Holy ____!!

If it's 78.9.....I am 78.2.....and I'm concerned about the upcoming C's season?

Redz' Dad

You're an above average guy!

Just seeing the replies now.  Thanks for the perspectives.

Yup

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Sorry for your loss, Redz.  Feels young no matter how you slice it.  When I was 17, my dad passed away at age 60.  It was brutal and seemed far too young.  In hindsight, given his medical issues, it may not have been too soon.

Older adults are living longer and longer with medical advances.  The problem is there's a parallel increase in folks with dementia that carries a heavy burden on them, families, caregivers, etc.  Hopefully we start to make some advances in treatment for the aging baby boomers. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 11:44:28 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The answer is it depends. This is a subjective interpretation isn't It?

For those who are doing the dying, I am sure most of them would answer "now is too early".  ;D

Yeah, I agree that this seems like something that is relative to your particular context and "stage" of life.

And it seems like this is something that isn't just limited to those older in life. Your perception of "time" and "age/youth" skews as you grow older. I remember thinking in my late teens that 30 was considered "old;" now that I'm facing that milestone in a couple of years, my perception of what being "old" entails is significantly different.

But, yeah, 49 is certainly too young. My condolences to you.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57:31 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I feel a little funny receiving condolences for my post.  This was not someone I was close to, but knew in high school. 
Yup

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I feel a little funny receiving condolences for my post.  This was not someone I was close to, but knew in high school.

Eh, I'm sure someone in your peer group passing away relatively young can be jarring.  And as someone you once knew, and thought enough about today to make a post here, maybe you'll reflect a bit on the past. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 03:16:28 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Ill be 59 next month and I consider myself way too young to receive an IHOP senior discount, never mind die.   

It's a potentially life-perspective changing moment when your peers start to die. I've lost 2 close friends and 3 friends have lost their wives - all in the last 5 years. It hasn't made dying seem any more acceptable to me, but it's made the inevitability of it more undeniable. 

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This past week a high school classmate of mine passed away.  He was 49 years old and by all accounts a great guy (as I remembered him to be from high school).  On our class Facebook Page there were many tributes to him and lots of comments along the lines of, "So sad.  Too young."  or "So young to go.",  "Life's too short." etc..

Death does not discriminate it comes for us all.

Sorry for your loss, people always says nice things when people die to comfort their loved ones.   I would not read to much into it.