Author Topic: Are we Better?  (Read 10014 times)

Re: Are we Better?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
We are.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Clearly better. 

But one thing I keep reading is how JB is/should be the starting 2.  I just don't see it...yet.  Hayward will be the starting 2 with Crowder at his customary 3 role, at least to start the year.  Crowder is a much better fit starting, likewise JB off the bench.  JB brings in energy off the bench, Crowder is the steady, gritty vet who knows his role as a starter.  Besides, not that this should be the sole determining factor, but Crowder is used to starting, I don't see him taking well to a bench role right out of the gate, and JB doesn't expect to start, he'll be fine with coming off the bench.

Getting Hayward (and then trading Bradley) was primarily to upgrade the starting backcourt as we had one of the smallest in the league last year.  He shoots as good if not better than Bradley, can create his own shot, unlike Bradley, and won't be posted up by opposing 2s. Imagine how many wide open 3s Crowder will get sharing the floor with IT and Hayward.  Sure, Hayward can, and will, play some 3, but I'm pretty sure that he starts at the 2 next to Thomas with Crowder at the 3.  Although with Stevens, it really doesn't matter what you call it because the 2/3 are both wings.  Whether Brad goes with Horford/Morris or Horford/Baynes as the 4/5 is yet to be determined.  That will depend on the fit he sees in training camp and/or depending on the matchups (or dare I say, another move/trade?).

The main point is, we need to put the brakes on the JB should start refrain, until and unless he wins the job at some point.  Less pressure coming off the bench, and should form the core of a dynamic second unit with Smart/Rozier and Tatum.

BTW, a little addressed FACT when comparing AB with Hayward is that Hayward shot 5.9 FT attempts and shot 84% from the line and AB ONLY attempted an average of 1.7 FT's and made only 73%.  That is statistically significant.

Smitty77

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
One other factor that I did not express specifically is the question of whether the play of IT this coming season will be better than, equal to, or less than his play of last season.  He had such a phenomenal season, hard to think he will be better.  He has surprised me every step of the way so I don't want to doubt him.

I am not surprised that most see Hayward as more of an upgrade than I do but I am surprised at how much is being expected from Baynes and Zizic.  I like Morris as an upgrade over Johnson; Amir was by far our weakest position and I think Morris will start and I look at him as a positive replacement for Amir Johnson.  Not a world beater but definitely a plus over Amir.

Baynes gave Detroit 4 pts and 4 rebs in 15 minutes.  No doubt Baynes gives us a bruiser off the bench, something that will be nice to have, but I don't see his role being significant.  I am very high (hopeful?) on Zizic but just don't see that much from him this year.  I like both additions I just don't see either moving the team forward all that much.

Baynes was the 10th best defensive center per ESPN's Real Plus/Minus.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/9

He will very LIKELY play MORE than 15 minutes for us as we do NOT have a Drummond starting at center!!

Smitty77

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
People are sleeping on our additions this year. We're significantly more talented and better balanced this year, which I think is the most important part.

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Talent wise I think we are certainly better, win wise however we might not have as big of a gain as some here expect. Last year our point differential was much lower than what might be predicted for a 53 win team. This was in large part due to some big time performances from IT in the clutch. Those type of things tend to even out over time. In addition last we went into the year with  high degree of roster continuity, this year we have 9/15 new players and likely 2-3 new starters which with Brad's tendency to experiment with lineups means it may take a while to find our flow. In addition we have a lot of young players, they may not be huge parts of the team but they also don't generally contribute to winning either. On the bright side I think we can expect some improvement from young guys like Jaylen, Rozier, maybe smart.

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
My biggest (and only) concern is Isaiah Thomas slowing down next season.  I know that he isn't necessarily an old dude, but he's not young either.

He's 5'9" and coming off a significant injury.  If IT is as good as he was last year, then we are definitely better and should win 60 games.

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I believe the team is better in terms of talent, but will not be surprised with a slow start with the downgrade in experience.   

But it is easier for a team to develop experience versus talent.

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
My biggest (and only) concern is Isaiah Thomas slowing down next season.  I know that he isn't necessarily an old dude, but he's not young either.

He's 5'9" and coming off a significant injury.  If IT is as good as he was last year, then we are definitely better and should win 60 games.

He will be better than last year. Having Hayward to take a lot of the load off him will make him much, much better by opening up so many more opportunities for IT. He won't put up as large a scoring volume, but he will be a more efficient, effective player. Having help should also allow Stevens to give him more rest and help prolong his career.

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Key issues for the offseason: secondary scorer, rebounding/interior defense help, bench

Players out: Bradley, Olynyk, Johnson, Zeller, Jerebko, Young, Mickey, Jackson,

Players in: Hayward, Morris, Haynes, Tatum, Ojeyele, Zizic, Yabuselse

Overall, I think it was a clear talent upgrade. Losing Bradley stinks but the team got better and more well rounded imo and a lot of the big needs the team had last year have been filled or at least improved.

Hayward gives us a secondary scorer that we desperately needed. Tatum is a blue chip offensive talent. Morris is another guy that can get his shot. The team went from one guy being able to create his own offense to possibly 3 or 4.

The combo of Baynes/Zizic/Yabuselse at least slightly improves our defensive interior and rebounding issues. I do t expect anything earth shattering in that regards but they won't be anywhere as abysmal in that department as they were last year.

Also, with the addition of Hayward and Morris, I expect our bench production to be far greater this year. The bench unit now has the ability to score some as opposed to the no offense unites that were being sent out on the floor last year. This should help limit minutes for starters and IT in particular to keep them fresh during the year.

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Chemistry...Chemistry...Chemistry.

but, yes we should be better.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2017, 02:40:17 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
cant be worse
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2017, 02:41:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yes. This team had gone as far as they could. An infusion of talent like Hayward can start chipping away at the next tier (CLE). They can probably win another game or two in an ECF vs the Cavs.

I expect some production out of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Not a lot- just a positive output when they are on the floor in short spurts. Jaylen is athletic enough to play tough defense, and Tatum is talented enough to score.

Danny got the #1 guy on his board AND picked up an option for another 1st round pick. I have no idea how people could not see that as a big win.

Most teams would take Hayward + Morris + Baynes for Bradley + Jerebko + Olynyk.

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
People are sleeping on our additions this year. We're significantly more talented and better balanced this year, which I think is the most important part.
Agreed. While I don't think it may equate to a greater win total as opposed to last year, I do think they are way better equipped for playoff basketball and facing better teams. Their record vs .500 and above teams should see improvement this season.

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
cant be worse

I'm not sure I get this one? Meaning "the Celtics cannot be worse next year, they will be better" or "they cannot be worse than they were last year?"

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Disregarding positions for a second, this is how I see the offseason:

We turned Avery Bradley in Gordon Hayward, Amir Johnson into Marcus Morris, Kelly Olynyk into Jayson Tatum, and Jonas Jerebko into Aron Baynes. I see all of these moves as upgrades (although I'm wishfully predicting a nice year from Tatum) and I expect improvement from both Smart and Jaylen.

Sports are funny and anything could happen but I certainly feel like this team is better.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008