Author Topic: Is anyone else concerned by the amount of rookies on this team?  (Read 8626 times)

Re: Is anyone else concerned by the amount of rookies on this team?
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Hayward, Crowder
PF: Morris, Tatum
C: Horford, Baynes

Notice anything?

Right. The starting lineup here is severely challenged for getting a defensive rebound; at three spots it's significantly worse than last season, with two remaining the same.

So how do you address that, given the current roster?

How about starting Baynes instead of Morris? So you're going to have Baynes and Horford on the floor together, and at least one of them has got to guard a quicker player on the perimeter. On its face, that is less than optimum.

Tatum is showing promise as a defensive rebounder, and he has length and other advantages as a swing. On the other hand, the most optimistic report has him at 210. 

Jaylen got a lot of developmental minutes last year (kudos to Brad, in the middle of a playoff hunt); with a gaping hole in the depth chart, look for Tatum to get thrown into the fire early and often.

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Tatum, Zizic, Yabusele, Theis, Nader, Ojeleye Bird, Allen(last 2 on 2 way contracts). Thats 8 rookies out of 17 roster positions. Youth doesn't win and our depth is going to have limited NBA experience and be ridiculously young. Especially given rotational vets being Smart, Brown, and Rozier.

I think this team will be good but if the starters don't stay healthy, we could have problems with the bench being so young and inexperienced.

EDIT: added Ojeleye

8 out of 17. That means the first 4 off the bench will be vets.

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I like having rookies to round out the roster.  I think we have some talented, smart, dedicated, hard nosed youngsters who will make positive contributions when their numbers are called.

It's going to be an exciting year.  I love the mix of newcomers and veterans.

Me too.  Most exciting type of a roster, imo.  Vets carry us while we get to witness the sporadic breakthroughs from our youngn's, all while making a deep run. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2017, 02:36:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nah.

Thomas, Hayward, Crowder, Horford, Baynes

Rozier, Smart, Brown, Morris.

That's a solid top 9 who will get a lot of minutes.

Plus Tatum, who is a very talented rookie.

I don't see any reason, when the team is relatively healthy, why any of the rookies or other young guys will get too many minutes except in favorable matchups.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain