Author Topic: Is anyone else concerned by the amount of rookies on this team?  (Read 8593 times)

Re: Is anyone else concerned by the amount of rookies on this team?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 09:40:49 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I'm more concerned about the lack of a franchise altering talent.

That comes next year. This team is constructed to keep the fickle C's fans interested, not to win the Chip.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
No, but I am sure you are.

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Eh, perhaps if more of them were going to be part of our top-10 rotation guys I'd be concerned, but that doesn't seem to be the case:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Hayward, Crowder
PF: Morris, Tatum
C: Horford, Baynes

Literally only one of our top-10 rotation guys is a rookie,and he's probably the most NBA-ready rookie at the top of the draft as it is. And even though three of the others are still on rookie-level contracts (Rozier, Brown, and Smart) they all have significant NBA experience, especially Smart, and are closer to vets than rookies.

It's only when you get into the third stringers that we're rookie-heavy, which I don't think will be a problem. We're as strong as any team in the league 10-deep, which is what ultimately matters.
This, and Dario SpanishFan said the same.

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 10:45:12 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I would add that some of the other rookies are pretty well-seasoned too:

Theis is 25 and has been playing pro ball in Europe since 2013.

Nader is 23.

Zizic was just playing pro ball in a good league in Europe.

Yab has played overseas a couple years (though admittedly against weak competition)

Ojeleye will be 23 in a few months.

This isn't your normal collection of 19-year-old NBA rookies.

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:16 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I would add that some of the other rookies are pretty well-seasoned too:

Theis is 25 and has been playing pro ball in Europe since 2013.

Nader is 23.

Zizic was just playing pro ball in a good league in Europe.

Yab has played overseas a couple years (though admittedly against weak competition)

Ojeleye will be 23 in a few months.

This isn't your normal collection of 19-year-old NBA rookies.

That's my feelings too. I think their learning curve is steeper. They may not look too great early, but as the season rolls on and they get acclimated to the bigger, faster NBA, I think they will hold their own. I'm sure we won't see more than 2 on the court at the same time other than blowouts.

Other than Tatum, I don't see us relying on any of them for much beyond some spot minutes for fouls/injuries or in garbage time.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 01:01:46 AM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Our top 9 aren't rookies so what does it matter?  They're on cheap contracts which is what you need when you have max contracts.  Young players have good trade value and potential.  We're marching up the mountain, it's what it takes.  Dumping assets for a quick fix short term shot at a title isn't a good idea.  Keep doing what you're doin Cs; patience is key. 

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 01:13:41 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Nope.  We have improved and are plenty deep to make a run.  I'm sure at least one of the young but experienced newcomers will step up to earn rotation minutes, too. 

My only concern is the exact same as last year at this time -- Rozier.  To my eyes, his most redeeming quality continues to be his ability to make an ill-advised shot.  He's shown spurts of solid defense and rebounding when needed, but he has to become a consistent playmaker for the 2nd unit for this team to do serious damage over 48 minutes.  If he's similar to last year, I suspect next season's results will be largely the same. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 01:46:10 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
i would just be wasting energy ...not a thing i can do to change it .

LOL....if thats the case, we may as well shut down the forums, none of us actually influence team decisions

It's possible to discuss the team and players and argue about it with out worrying about it.  DA and BS should be worrying, we just get to enjoy.

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 03:27:29 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Yes.  I wish that we had more of them.

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 03:36:39 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
No.  In fact, I think it is a great idea.  Ainge actually improved the team while getting younger. 

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2017, 03:50:07 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Years of experience, 2016-17 main rotation guys: 11, 9, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, R
Years of experience, 2017-18 main rotation guys: 10, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1, R
Only lost 2 years of experience.

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2017, 03:53:57 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Nope.  We have improved and are plenty deep to make a run.  I'm sure at least one of the young but experienced newcomers will step up to earn rotation minutes, too. 

My only concern is the exact same as last year at this time -- Rozier.  To my eyes, his most redeeming quality continues to be his ability to make an ill-advised shot.  He's shown spurts of solid defense and rebounding when needed, but he has to become a consistent playmaker for the 2nd unit for this team to do serious damage over 48 minutes.  If he's similar to last year, I suspect next season's results will be largely the same.

They do have Smart as a backup option, but I agree that this assumption Rozier will be fine as the backup could be a little optimistic. It does feel like this team needs another guard even if he's up in Maine most of the year, but that's something they can figure out during the year if needs be. Adding a veteran guard could also be a possibility.

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not because I want the young guys to play and spots 11-15 are for bottom feeders anyway. Those guys rarely play and with the salaries being paid these days I think a lot of NBA teams are going to look like this. When you have 2-4 guys making a TON of money you need guys that make chicken scratch too!

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Last year 12 players played more than 10 MPG and the last 3 players played in 78, 47 and 51 games. If this season is anything like last season this team is going to have to rely on three rookies and not players like Rozier, Zeller and Green. Most might think Rozier, Zeller and Green are awful players and deserve to be players 10, 11, and 12 on a team but they might be better as a whole over Rozier and the two rookies we will have to roll out this year.

As I said, injuries in the starting lineup could be very difficult to cover if we are relying on nothing but rookies in slots 9 through 15

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like having rookies to round out the roster.  I think we have some talented, smart, dedicated, hard nosed youngsters who will make positive contributions when their numbers are called.

It's going to be an exciting year.  I love the mix of newcomers and veterans.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson