Author Topic: Is anyone else concerned by the amount of rookies on this team?  (Read 8591 times)

Re: Is anyone else concerned by the amount of rookies on this team?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
One of the necessary evils of making enough space to sign Hayward was letting the free agent veterans go, which more or less left Boston with minimum contracts to fill out the roster. You can certainly debate whether the team should have cut Semi and Nader loose in order to bring in, like, Gerald Green and Randy Foye, but I would argue that unless you think Boston has a real shot at winning it all next year (I don't think they do) you're better off playing the long game and seeing which of the young guys you can turn into high-level contributors, as those veteran bench help types are available every year.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Eh, perhaps if more of them were going to be part of our top-10 rotation guys I'd be concerned, but that doesn't seem to be the case:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Hayward, Crowder
PF: Morris, Tatum
C: Horford, Baynes

Literally only one of our top-10 rotation guys is a rookie,and he's probably the most NBA-ready rookie at the top of the draft as it is. And even though three of the others are still on rookie-level contracts (Rozier, Brown, and Smart) they all have significant NBA experience, especially Smart, and are closer to vets than rookies.

It's only when you get into the third stringers that we're rookie-heavy, which I don't think will be a problem. We're as strong as any team in the league 10-deep, which is what ultimately matters.

I tend to agree but it still would be nice to have one of those 11th-man "security blanket" vets. It seems like in a long playoff run you always end up leaning on one of those guys due to injury or matchup, for a game or two.

I mean we had a lot of young guys on the 2008 team, but by the finals our key bench players were PJ Brown, Cassell, House and Posey.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 07:39:49 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Not me.  I like all the rookies because I don't want a bunch of retreads.  Get to enjoy watching a bunch of new young players grow up and be really good for many years to come.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To be fair, 3/5 (Zizic, Yab, Nader) you mentioned were drafted last year and all given experience in professional leagues - although they do all need quite a bit more development. Bird and Allen don't really count; in year's past, they would just be camp fodder and then cut.

Tatum is primed for some solid rotation minutes and, as has been mentioned, Theis was brought in because of his experience level - it just isn't in the NBA.

Funny enough, you didn't even mention Semi, who may technically be the 'rookie-est' of all the players you mentioned (2017 2nd round pick).

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 07:48:33 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Who is Theis and where did he come from? Lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I am. For instance, I would have preferred Mike Scott over Theis, and I'd like a more experienced wing than Nader. But, if one of these guys plays beyond his years, we'll be okay.

Some of what's happened is because of the cap, but Danny has also lamented some of his decisions during the Big 3 era, when he signed experienced but injury-prone vets (Shaq, Jermaine O'Neal, etc.) and it backfired. I wonder whether he's decided that younger players are a better way to fill out the bench even in win-now mode.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 09:06:59 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'm slightly concerned about having all these four year deals that will expire the same year. However, the odds they will all still be here in four years is slight, so I guess it isn't a big deal.

All these guys should be able to form a good bench in a couple years after they develop. Let's say they don't re-sign Morris in two years. It would be nice if someone like Ojeleye could step in at that point.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Salary cap doesn't really allow you to evolve the way you might like to. Otherwise AB would still be at the Celtics to help ease the younger players along and do what he did. The other players who have been moved on were not going to win the Celtics a championship and it is time to embrace the new lineup that will take the team closer. Even if a number of those rookies struggle, the team has the depth to do well. As much as I will miss AB, the Celtics are in good shape.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It's the result of all these draft picks. Can't stash them forever.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 09:10:11 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He's a German player, and... he's a German player
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:43 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Not me.  I like all the rookies because I don't want a bunch of retreads.  Get to enjoy watching a bunch of new young players grow up and be really good for many years to come.

:o

I had to read this a couple of times before I got it right
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Only Semi and Tatum are rookies.
The other three have at least one year of professional basketball experience.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

He's a German player, and... he's a German player
He is a good off the bench player. Probably better, or on par, with jerebko.  Good three point shot, physical player, blocks shots.

Watch videos..in one of the you will see him own zizic.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

:o

I had to read this a couple of times before I got it right

Funny, you and me both. Can't imagine we're the only ones!

Mike

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Eh, perhaps if more of them were going to be part of our top-10 rotation guys I'd be concerned, but that doesn't seem to be the case:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Hayward, Crowder
PF: Morris, Tatum
C: Horford, Baynes

Literally only one of our top-10 rotation guys is a rookie,and he's probably the most NBA-ready rookie at the top of the draft as it is. And even though three of the others are still on rookie-level contracts (Rozier, Brown, and Smart) they all have significant NBA experience, especially Smart, and are closer to vets than rookies.

It's only when you get into the third stringers that we're rookie-heavy, which I don't think will be a problem. We're as strong as any team in the league 10-deep, which is what ultimately matters.

I tend to agree but it still would be nice to have one of those 11th-man "security blanket" vets. It seems like in a long playoff run you always end up leaning on one of those guys due to injury or matchup, for a game or two.

I mean we had a lot of young guys on the 2008 team, but by the finals our key bench players were PJ Brown, Cassell, House and Posey.

We can get this guy later in the year.