Author Topic: Ed Lacerte gone too  (Read 13201 times)

Re: Ed Lacerte gone too
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2017, 12:58:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Anyone here discrediting Lacerte is just taking a total 100% complete factless guess at this situation.

No one here can say Lacerte mishandled injuries, you have literally no idea what you are talking about. You are just guessing because your favorite player got hurt.  It's laughable that anyone in this thread is taking such a stance against these individuals while having ZERO knowledge of the situation.

Unless some players and owners come out and say they thought themselves or their players were mishandled by Lacerte, then you will have a right to say 'good riddance' to a real person who put his entire career and the prime of his life into keeping the Celtics players healthy.

Show some respect and don't act so petty.
You can absolutely evaluate the medical staff of a team. I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

As a MD, you Mahcus Smaht, may be able to.

As a PT student, I am miles away from judging them. I might be able to judge the medical team better than I would judge a nuclear physicist, but just barely. Even though I'm studying anatomy around the clock (when I'm not procrastinating on this site), I'm still way out of my element.
You don't need to be an expert in a field to evaluate the results.

Should a nuclear physicist only be fireable on the command of another nuclear physicist?

Absurd.

would you agree that Phoenix has an excellent medical staff?

When you have a large enough sample size you can evaluate a medical staff based on results.

I guess this is a point of disagreement. I do think one needs to be educated to make an educated opinion. If one wants to make uneducated (or undereducated) assertions, I guess that's fine. You just shouldn't get sensitive when people call you out for making silly comments.

Again, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, but I read too many comments by people that don't seem to know what they're talking about.

I have no idea about the Phoenix staff. I haven't talked to any of their players, or other patients that have been treated. I don't know anything what they did before they went to Phoenix, and haven't read any research written by any of them. Which metrics would you use to evaluate them as a whole? "Keeping guys healthy" isn't a real answer.

I think the adage "the more you know, the less you think you know" applies.
Do the players themselves have the proper expertise to know if they are being correctly treated?

who in the Celtics FO can evaluate Lacerte?

Obviously the more knowledge of the field and information allows you to make a better judgement, but as with anything in this blog, us fans have limited info and that does not preclude us from making an evaluation. I have made no strong assertions on this situation because I have not examined thoroughly the Celtics injury histories relative to the rest of the NBA world.

However, I think it is well within reason that a fan could examine this information and make a reasonable evaluation of the medical staff. Now would it be perfect? No. If I were Danny Ainge and a fan sent me an email saying we should fire Ed Lacerte would I accept the conclusion? No. Danny Ainge and the Celtics FO have more information and likely more expertise with regards to injuries.

Same could be said about the posters who say good riddance when we dump Jordan Mickey. Most of us haven't coached at a high level or played NBA basketball or witnessed the practices or talked to his teammates.

It's the way it is. I'm not sure why the standard evaluating a medical staff is higher than it is a front office or a coach or a player.

In order to evaluate a medical staff, you should know about medicine. In order to evaluate a basketball team, you should know about basketball. Otherwise, how useful is an evaluation?

I don't necessarily agree with this. If you hire a carpenter to build a house and it's a complete mess, would you hire him again? Probably not. You don't need to be an expert carpenter either to make that decision.

I'm sure, like with almost jobs, each member of the Celtics staff has their own metrics to measure their performance. I don't think it's the case that Ainge has Lacerte on his staff and just hopes he's doing his job but is essentially unqualified to make any decision because he's no expert on medicine.
- LilRip

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Look what Ed Lacerte did to Greg Kite.

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I can't help but speculate this is somehow related to IT's hip injury. Personally feel he should have been shut down a lot sooner than he was, and wonder if he risked further damage by continuing to play on it. No evidence, just trying to string together sequence of events.

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2017, 10:42:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I can't help but speculate this is somehow related to IT's hip injury. Personally feel he should have been shut down a lot sooner than he was, and wonder if he risked further damage by continuing to play on it. No evidence, just trying to string together sequence of events.
interesting theory honestly. I wonder if there were 2nd opinions from independent doctors saying that it wasn't a good idea to play with the injury

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/07/21/boston-celtics-place-premium-sports-science-personnel-changes/
I can buy the argument that Lacerte and Doo were out of touch with the latest trends, but I can't verify that, or if this "biological analytics" really works. Just not my area.

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
A good article on why the Cs are revamping their sports science folks.

“We’re certainly not pointing the finger at [Lacerte, Doo, or Shulman] as bad,” Ainge said. “It’s just that when you’re making changes, it’s hard to bring in people into a new organization with ideas and control over departments. It’s just hard on everybody, and so we just decided to move in a different direction.”

According to a league source, there was some uneasiness about the hierarchy of the Celtics’ sports medicine and performance staff, and the Celtics believed a fresh start was the best option

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/07/25/celtics-overhaul-sports-medicine-strength-training-departments/zpEhio7QO3NebWGsEDOSGP/story.html

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Think he'll get a card or something from Marquis Daniels?

Me neither.

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
A good article on why the Cs are revamping their sports science folks.

“We’re certainly not pointing the finger at [Lacerte, Doo, or Shulman] as bad,” Ainge said. “It’s just that when you’re making changes, it’s hard to bring in people into a new organization with ideas and control over departments. It’s just hard on everybody, and so we just decided to move in a different direction.”

According to a league source, there was some uneasiness about the hierarchy of the Celtics’ sports medicine and performance staff, and the Celtics believed a fresh start was the best option

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/07/25/celtics-overhaul-sports-medicine-strength-training-departments/zpEhio7QO3NebWGsEDOSGP/story.html

Could be BS but it makes sense, hard to turn a boss into a subordinate. It wouldn't be easy to go from calling the shots to falling in line, especially if you think your way is the best.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The one thing I would say in this whole Lacerte thing is I remember hearing his name back when he was treating Bird. By all accounts I have heard he is professional and well-liked. This also means he was probably in service of the Celtics for 25 years.

I think when you say something like "good riddance" people are going to feel that kind of sentiment should be more reserved for a Mark Blount type situation where someone isn't trying and does actions worthy of scorn. i think saying something like "it was probably time for a change" would come off a bit softer and wouldn't offend people, some of who have had interactions with Lacerte over the years or been treated by his colleagues.