Author Topic: Rondo signs with Pelicans  (Read 9966 times)

Re: Rondo signs with Pelicans
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Went from the riding the coattails of the Big 3 to being a back for Jrue Holiday. Yikes. Talk about a downward spiral. Thankfully Ainge got rid of this bum just in time.
Rondo and Holiday will start together in the backcourt.
doubt it

Who do you think will star in the backcourt? I'd say Rondo/Jrue is a lot more likely than Jrue/E'twaun Moore or Jrue/Jordan Crawford

Also, are the Pelicans stealing all of our cast off guards?
jrue played the 2 before and publicly made it aware he didn't like it

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 05:03:07 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Went from the riding the coattails of the Big 3 to being a back for Jrue Holiday. Yikes. Talk about a downward spiral. Thankfully Ainge got rid of this bum just in time.
doubt it

Who do you think will star in the backcourt? I'd say Rondo/Jrue is a lot more likely than Jrue/E'twaun Moore or Jrue/Jordan Crawford

I'm sure he'd like it more than coming off the bench
I'm bitter.

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
doubt it

jrue is getting paid 10 times more than rondo . Rondo came off the bench for bulls a lot. I don't see why that wouldn't reoccur

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

That clearly seems to be the plan as it's been stated they think Jrue played best with the Twin Towers Redux when he was off the ball.
I don't think it's clear. Rondo is getting paid back up money. The last time jrue played the 2 he didn't like it and he was bad

Again, this is pretty clearly the plan for NO:
Mason Ginsberg‏Verified account @MasonGinsberg  39m39 minutes ago
More
Alvin Gentry says on the @DuncandHolder podcast that he plans to start Jrue Holiday as the #Pelicans' starting SG, alongside Rondo at PG
Mason Ginsberg‏Verified account
@MasonGinsberg
Follow
More
If you say that starting Rondo is dumb, that's fine. If you say Jrue off the ball is dumb, you probably haven't watched enough of the Pels.
Will Guillory‏
@WillGuillory
Follow
More
Gentry: Starting Rondo and Jrue together is the idea going into the season. We spoke to Jrue at length about this
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 02:56:36 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I'm just surprised gentry is still a coach in the NBA

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2017, 06:29:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm just surprised gentry is still a coach in the NBA

Yeah. He's been terrible with the Pelicans. He and Demps both need to go.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2017, 06:33:09 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
doubt it

jrue is getting paid 10 times more than rondo . Rondo came off the bench for bulls a lot. I don't see why that wouldn't reoccur
Funny thing is rondo and a few other bulls came off bench even though they shouldn't have but to rondos credit he was 100% team player

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 06:43:41 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
doubt it

Because the Bulls had a more talented backcourt than the Pels. Rondo is closer to the best guard they have than the 3rd best. It would make no sense to start Jrue and Moore and have Rondo come off the bench when Jrue can play off the ball
I'm bitter.

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

That clearly seems to be the plan as it's been stated they think Jrue played best with the Twin Towers Redux when he was off the ball.
I don't think it's clear. Rondo is getting paid back up money. The last time jrue played the 2 he didn't like it and he was bad

More
Alvin Gentry says on the @DuncandHolder podcast that he plans to start Jrue Holiday as the #Pelicans' starting SG, alongside Rondo at PG
@MasonGinsberg
Follow
More
If you say that starting Rondo is dumb, that's fine. If you say Jrue off the ball is dumb, you probably haven't watched enough of the Pels.
Will Guillory‏
@WillGuillory
Follow
More
Gentry: Starting Rondo and Jrue together is the idea going into the season. We spoke to Jrue at length about this
That's interesting. They might have some serious floor spacing problems.

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Are you sure about that?

I know HoopsHype has his salary at $3M, but no team affiliation is listed. When you look at the Pelicans, neither his name nor salary are listed. I believe the $3M you see is the 'dead' money from the Bulls, not his new contract.

I am pretty sure Rondo signed with the Pelicans with the assumption of a starting job.

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 08:18:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Are you sure about that?

I know HoopsHype has his salary at $3M, but no team affiliation is listed. When you look at the Pelicans, neither his name nor salary are listed. I believe the $3M you see is the 'dead' money from the Bulls, not his new contract.

I am pretty sure Rondo signed with the Pelicans with the assumption of a starting job.

Yeah, Rondo is absolutely starting.  Holiday might get paid 3-4x more, but they're both starting, because neither of those two is going to come off the bench behind Jordan Crawford or E'Twaun Moore.  You play the guys with the most talent, and there is a serious drop off after the top two guards in New Orleans (and they don't have the wings to start one of them at the 2, either.)

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

More
@MasonGinsberg
Follow
More
Will Guillory‏
@WillGuillory
Follow
More

I don't know about that.  Boogie (36.1% last year) is a good 3 point shooter, AD (29.9% last year) is okay for a big, and Rondo shot 37.6% on 3s last year (and 36.5% the year before, so it doesn't look like a fluke).  Throw in 36.6% career from Jrue and 34.8% last year from Solomon hill (who I assume will start at SF) and they should be solid from 3.  Rondo's passing my even bring the numbers up for a couple of those guys
I'm bitter.

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

More
@MasonGinsberg
Follow
More
Will Guillory‏
@WillGuillory
Follow
More

I don't know about that.  Boogie (36.1% last year) is a good 3 point shooter, AD (29.9% last year) is okay for a big, and Rondo shot 37.6% on 3s last year (and 36.5% the year before, so it doesn't look like a fluke).  Throw in 36.6% career from Jrue and 34.8% last year from Solomon hill (who I assume will start at SF) and they should be solid from 3.  Rondo's passing my even bring the numbers up for a couple of those guys

The league average from 3 is 35.8%.  Their best shooters are at best slightly above average.  They're going to have a little trouble with spacing.  I think AD and Boogie should be able to make up for it, because they are a team that can truly play inside-out basketball, but there's no one in that lineup who scares you from 3.  Their point generation will need to come from the interior -- if they get into a perimeter matchup with another team, it's not going to go well.