Author Topic: Ringer: Cavs Standing Idle, Might Cost Them LeBron James  (Read 10920 times)

Ringer: Cavs Standing Idle, Might Cost Them LeBron James
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Some highlights:

"The biggest contract they have given out was re-signing Kyle Korver to a three-year, $22 million deal. Korver is one of the best shooters in the NBA, and he shot an eye-popping 48.5 percent from 3 after Cleveland acquired him at the trade deadline last season, but he’s also an aging, one-dimensional player who doesn’t play any defense"

"There are few players in the NBA less valuable against Golden State than Jose Calderon, a backup point guard whom Cleveland signed to a one-year contract at the minimum. It’s no exaggeration to say that Calderon is one of the worst defensive players in the league. In 24 games with the Lakers last season, Synergy Sports rated Calderon in the first percentile when defending spot-up shooters and in the zeroth percentile as an isolation defender."

"Osman is exactly the type of young player the Cavs have not developed in LeBron’s three years in Cleveland, a philosophy which came back to bite them last season, when their bench stocked with aging veterans was run off the floor by Golden State. While the Warriors gave minutes to Patrick McCaw, a rookie second-round draft pick, the Cavs sent out 36-year-old goon Dahntay Jones, for whom they cut DeAndre Liggins, an athletic wing in his late 20s."

"The Warriors are raising the bar, while the Cavs are standing still. LeBron has already won a championship in Cleveland, so there’s nothing holding him there if he doesn’t think the Cavs give him the best shot at winning. He’s a 32-year-old who has played 14 seasons in the NBA and sees his basketball mortality in front of him. He doesn’t have any time to waste, and that’s all Cleveland is doing right now."

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-free-agency-cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-inactivity-d7990f299bae

Re: Ringer: Cavs Standing Idle, Might Cost Them LeBron James
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
"I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didn’t know when."
"I want kids in Northeast Ohio, like the hundreds of Akron third-graders I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that there’s no better place to grow up. "

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
They're still the team to beat in the East....for now.   But that window is closing fast.  You can certainly see the cracks forming. 

Won't be shocked the least if Lebron skips town after last season.  That team has hit their ceiling.

Question is just when will another team in the east leap them?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
They're still the team to beat in the East....for now.   But that window is closing fast.  You can certainly see the cracks forming. 

Won't be shocked the least if Lebron skips town after last season.  That team has hit their ceiling.

I 100% believe that if not this year, the Celtics would comfortable pass them next year. Brown in his 3rd year, Tatum in his second, Smart, IT, Hayward in their primes. Only Horford declining and Lebron would be 34! There is not way that team is better than us.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Great way to put it. The cracks are starting to show, although they're still ahead of us.  Kevin Love can't be too happy with things after Lebron spent the summer trying to trade him.

IMO, Lebron is heading west to put together his next superteam after this season and this is the end of Cleveland.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Great way to put it. The cracks are starting to show, although they're still ahead of us.  Kevin Love can't be too happy with things after Lebron spent the summer trying to trade him.

IMO, Lebron is heading west to put together his next superteam after this season and this is the end of Cleveland.
There is always the Trade Deadline and the Buyout of Carmelo. Cleveland is not dead next year as we gain experience and grow older and better.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

There is always the Trade Deadline and the Buyout of Carmelo. Cleveland is not dead next year as we gain experience and grow older and better.

They could, but I don't think a move like that is going to impact Lebron long-term. He could go to LA, take a little less than max so they could sign another max player, and finish his career teamed up with another star and Lonzo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the die has been cast and LBJ is gone.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Seems likes Carmelo may stay in NY with the new ownership group. Either way, I am not sure how much Carmelo helps them on a team with Love/Irving/Lebron. He is best with the ball in his hands for iso scoring and is a bad defensive player. They need defensive players. George would have been pretty nice for them.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
James took his team to the finals in 2007,  2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Every year for the last 7 years his team has been to the NBA Finals.

Any team on which he might choose to play would instantly become a finals contender, with the exception of the Brooklyn Nets, the Chigago Bulls, the Sacramento Kings, and the Orlando Magic.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Cleveland not getting better is, of course, good for the Celtics. I think the C's have a really good shot at the Finals this year.

But I still don't understand why Lebron would leave Cleveland. He's the biggest basketball star in the world, appearing in movies as himself, he's in every other commercial when you watch and NBA game and he's one of the highest paid player in the league. Money isn't going to be the question.

He's made 8 Finals and won 3 so it would be a little weird if he was ring chasing. Plus, he has two all stars who will only be 25 and 29 next year, along with a workhorse center who will be 26 (although someone needs to explain to me why Thompson was so freaking awful in the Finals) so how much better could any team be that he left Cleveland for? Especially if it's a team out West?

I'm unconvinced James is ever going anywhere. But I never thought he'd go to Miami in 2010 so don't trust my predictions.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
James took his team to the finals in 2007,  2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Every year for the last 7 years his team has been to the NBA Finals.

Any team on which he might choose to play would instantly become a finals contender, with the exception of the Brooklyn Nets, the Chigago Bulls, the Sacramento Kings, and the Orlando Magic.
He is great and definitely still a top 3 player in the league (don't know for how much longer), but still I feel like that list is way to short.
Is he leading himself and Dennis Schroeder to the finals next year?
Do him, Andre Drummond and Avery Bradley make it?
How about him, melo and porzingas?
He would be fascinating on Charlotte, I think that could get them to the finals with Howard and Kemba

With respect to making the finals in the West though, its not even close to all teams except for the Kings.
I think the only two teams he could bring past the Warriors would be Houston, OKC and Spurs.
Perhaps Minnesota too. No other team would beat the Warriors I don't think.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Wow.  Why in the world do you NOT think WE, the Boston Celtics, are that team and that we can and likely WILL do so this year??

What about our off season did you NOT like?  We had to let AB go as we simply did NOT want to lose him for nothing.  There were NO guarantees that PG would re-sign, so why give up valuable picks for a rental?

Cleveland has stood still and there is an argument that they have gotten worse as LBJ and Love and Kyrie have one more LONG season of wear and tear on their bodies!!!!  Adding Calderon and Jeff Green are really net negatives!!

Meanwhile, we inked the Rookie of the Year in the NBADL to a 4 year deal today.  We might have the lottery pick with the best footwork and one-on-one moves in the last 5 years in Tatum.  We have a steal in Semi who can already defend at the NBA level.  We signed one of the most versatile young All-Stars in the entire NBA in Hayward!!  Marcus Morris's versatility is vastly under-appreciated on this board!!!!  The signing of Baynes (10th best defensive RPM for centers last year) is HIGHLY UNDER-rated!!!!  Jaylen is working on his handle and will likely be better!!

Why the pessimism??????????????????

I simply am jacked and cannot wait to de-throne the Cavs THIS YEAR!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I think we have a chance, but in spite of all our improvements, they've got to be the favorite because they still have Lebron.

I think unlike last year, we'd have a fighting chance against them this year, and if a couple breaks (or injuries) go our way, we could beat them.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Sincerely hope he leaves.  Cant help but enjoy watching him continue to make a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. out of himself. Forget loyalty, and finger point to the end...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Wow.  Why in the world do you NOT think WE, the Boston Celtics, are that team and that we can and likely WILL do so this year??

What about our off season did you NOT like?  We had to let AB go as we simply did NOT want to lose him for nothing.  There were NO guarantees that PG would re-sign, so why give up valuable picks for a rental?

Cleveland has stood still and there is an argument that they have gotten worse as LBJ and Love and Kyrie have one more LONG season of wear and tear on their bodies!!!!  Adding Calderon and Jeff Green are really net negatives!!

Meanwhile, we inked the Rookie of the Year in the NBADL to a 4 year deal today.  We might have the lottery pick with the best footwork and one-on-one moves in the last 5 years in Tatum.  We have a steal in Semi who can already defend at the NBA level.  We signed one of the most versatile young All-Stars in the entire NBA in Hayward!!  Marcus Morris's versatility is vastly under-appreciated on this board!!!!  The signing of Baynes (10th best defensive RPM for centers last year) is HIGHLY UNDER-rated!!!!  Jaylen is working on his handle and will likely be better!!

Why the pessimism??????????????????

Smitty77
Dons, I am sure, doesn't need me to defend him but, he never said he doesn't think Boston could be the team to overtake the Cavs. Re-read his post. He just said asked how long it would be until another team passes them. He never said what team that would be.