Author Topic: Ringer: Cavs Standing Idle, Might Cost Them LeBron James  (Read 10969 times)

Re: Ringer: Cavs Standing Idle, Might Cost Them LeBron James
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I wonder what Cleveland could get if they decided to trade him now? Sure he'd be a rental but he could win that team a title before he left.
It would never happen but I'm laughing right now at the prospect of Dan Gilbert kicking Lebron out the door. That would be hilarious.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I wonder what Cleveland could get if they decided to trade him now? Sure he'd be a rental but he could win that team a title before he left.
It would never happen but I'm laughing right now at the prospect of Dan Gilbert kicking Lebron out the door. That would be hilarious.

He should trade him to the Magic.

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I like that ! 

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not like CLE is a basketball town, they historically have only supported the Cavs when they are winning.   

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If LeBron checks out mentally (possible) and they hover around the middle of the pack (remember, they were a mediocre team for like half of last year), maybe this is possible.

What can the Cavs do to get any better? The rumblings will only get louder the worse they do.

Throw an offer at Gilbert for him, he just may bite.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Pretty sure LeBron has a no trade clause because he resigned without full bird rights.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If Cavs can't beat GSW with LeBron, Kyrie and Love, then they are stuck.  They can't get any better.

Still, I doubt James leaves.

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 10:00:45 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
If James goes somewhere else, the logical places would be the biggest markets that can afford him--and that would be NY and LA. The Knicks and the Lakers could absorb his contract. And the Lakers then would be expected to sign George next year, which would make them serious contenders. You figure the Knicks would be contenders as well. James would be the drawing card for other FAs.

Any team that gets James becomes a contender. What you hope is he gets out of the East.

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If James goes somewhere else, the logical places would be the biggest markets that can afford him--and that would be NY and LA. The Knicks and the Lakers could absorb his contract. And the Lakers then would be expected to sign George next year, which would make them serious contenders. You figure the Knicks would be contenders as well. James would be the drawing card for other FAs.

Any team that gets James becomes a contender. What you hope is he gets out of the East.
James would only leave for a team that gives him a better chance to win titles. The market doesn't matter at all to him. If he doesn't see a team that increases his title chances he won't leave unless Gilbert keeps doing dumb things (which is certainly possible).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Not like CLE is a basketball town, they historically have only supported the Cavs when they are winning.

Couldn't agree more with this. Before the Cavs won it all last year, a lot of people on here said they were rooting for the Cavs to beat GS out of sympathy for Cleveland sports fans. Browns fans are unbelievably loyal - perhaps the most loyal of any fan base in all of sports. But just because it's the same city, there isn't nearly as big of an overlap between Browns fans and Cavs fans as one might assume. Cavs fans - in general - are about as loyal as Laker fans. The vast majority of Cavs fans can't name more than two players that ever played for the Cavs before LeBron arrived in June of 2003, and rarely watched or attended games while LeBron was in Miami. Not a loyal fan base whatsoever.

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
It was very hard from the start of the summer for CLE to improve its roster. Now, it seems virtually impossible. Lebron leaving for a better chance at a title is possible, but I would not blame that on Cleveland.

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
It was very hard from the start of the summer for CLE to improve its roster. Now, it seems virtually impossible. Lebron leaving for a better chance at a title is possible, but I would not blame that on Cleveland.

I agree. If LeBron had stuck to his role as a player only and not meddled in coaching and player personnel, then the front office would deserve much more blame for the lack of roster flexibility the Cavs have now. But this is the classic case of someone making their bed and now having to sleep in it.

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford

James would only leave for a team that gives him a better chance to win titles. The market doesn't matter at all to him. If he doesn't see a team that increases his title chances he won't leave unless Gilbert keeps doing dumb things (which is certainly possible).

I agree that market size likely won't be a major factor for LeBron.

I'm curious to hear your take on this since you seem pretty plugged in to the Cavs. What's your take on why the fan base embraced him so quickly when he returned from Miami? And do you know of any fans that refused to root for the Cavs once LeBron returned and/or root for them begrudgingly in spite of their dislike of LeBron?

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 08:12:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'm curious to hear your take on this since you seem pretty plugged in to the Cavs. What's your take on why the fan base embraced him so quickly when he returned from Miami? And do you know of any fans that refused to root for the Cavs once LeBron returned and/or root for them begrudgingly in spite of their dislike of LeBron?
fans in pretty much every city and every sport really only care about winning.  Even the diehards prefer their team to be winning.  Lebron led to winning.  It really isn't difficult to understand.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I actually disagree.  He is learning that a small market team like the Cavs can't improve any further.  Gilbert has paid the tax and it's still not enough.  He has to go to a big market so the owner can afford better teammates.