Author Topic: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick  (Read 29116 times)

Re: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Looks like Bagley could skip his senior year and come out next year  :o :o

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/7/14/15972042/marvin-bagley-iii-recruiting-duke-usc-reclassify-nba-draft

Imagine landing 2 of Doncic, Bagley, and Porter next year..

If nothing else, it significantly increases our chances of landing one of them.

Yeah. Assuming the Nets are the 1st or 2nd worst team (a pretty safe bet), it guarantees us one of Bagley, Porter, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba. Quite possibly 2 of them..

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 01:16:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Bagley, Ayton, Doncic, Porter, Bamba. I don't think there will have been a more highly regarded group of players at the top since the year Lebron, Wade and Carmello came out.

Very good chance we get one of them. Hard to believe the Nets won't be one of the worst teams, even if the LAL slips outside the top 5.

We have a great chance to have one of if not the league's most stacked roster in a couple years. Great time to be a Celtic fan.

Thank you, Brooklyn.

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
RE: Bagley....wow! Just ....WOW! I was only kidding a couple of weeks ago about him being eligible for the 2018 draft but if this actually happens DA will pay teams off to beat the Nets this year. And getting the 1 & a top 5 pick would give DA a lifetime contract and part ownership. Talk about options. Even the Pelicans would come calling if the AD and DMC duo doesn't work out.

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Bagley and Ayton would be a dream come true.

C.  Deandre Ayton 7'0"
Pf. Marvin Bagley 6'11"
Sf. Jayson Tatum 6'9"
Sg. Jaylen Brown 6'7"

Woah. What a core for the future while also competing!  All that line-up needs is a PG of the future.  Maybe T-Ro or Smart

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I dont get the Bagley hype ...

I think Williamson is far a better prospect ... dude is Lebron 2.0

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You have no idea how the Lakers will be next year, injuries and so forth. Guys need to relax they are a lottery team!

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They are in an absolutely brutal conference this year, only Sac and Phoenix can be considered objectively worse. I fully expect them to be in the bottom 6 at the end of the year, it'll likely be lady luck that decides the fate of the pick.
Yup, I'll say it again in a different way.  They have to A LOT of very good teams and some much improved, very often, out West...GSW, HOU, SAS, LAC, OKC, MIN, DEN, SAC.  They will be a lottery team, "I can safely say"...

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Another overreaction thread in Summer League.

I love them. Especially when little by little time passes and they are shamely silenced.

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2017, 01:58:38 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Another overreaction thread in Summer League.

I love them. Especially when little by little time passes and they are shamely silenced.

I remember Orien Greene having a great summer league

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't think that's a safe assumption at all. It's hard to win with several young guys on your roster, and three of their starters are still on rookie-level contracts. They'll also essentially have zero defense whatsoever in a brutal Western conference.

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
After watching the last LA Summer League game I think we can safely say LA will not be a bottom 6 team next season.

I hadn't watched the previous game where Ball went off for 36 points. But, from what I saw last night, he's the real deal. Both offensively and defensively, he's a game changer. He's definitely a transcendent player on the passing end of things. I think both Brown and Tatum can learn a thing or two from him. He has an amazing way of thinking 'pass' all the time. He's lightening quick in his thinking. Often, even if he doesn't get the assist, his initial pass leads to a secondary player being wide open. 

Forget the LA pick. It ain't happening. Ingram scored 26 before he was shut down. Add KCP and possibly 50 games from Lopez, a healthy Randle(?), Clarkson is legit..i don't know the rest of roster that well...I'm sure I'm missing someone good. 

In time, the Celtics might wish they hadn't passed on Ball, not Fultz. (I know he didn't want to play here, his father, yada, yada, ....) 

Underrated aspect of this post.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This is like saying that if we suited up a team with Jackson, Brown, Ojeleye, Tatum and Zizic that we'd be a playoff team. Not going to happen. As soon as a legitimate defensive guard gets up on Ball he will be a flawed rookie once again. Let's also not forget he shot 6-20. Guy can't shoot and this will create major problems for him once he's up against an NBA level player. Most of this will be determined by the teams around them and how bad they try and tank more than the Lakers skill.

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Here's the thing - Lakers have incentive to be as good as possible because they are trying to convince two superstars to join them, and they don't own their pick.  They have no reason to tank, and actually have incentive to be good.

Bulls, Pacers, Suns, Hawks, Magic - all own their picks and figure to tank. 

Given those facts I don't think the Lakers have a shot and being bottom-5, which is what we need them to be. That's the way the arrows are pointing anyway.  And there is always the chance their ping-pong ball comes up and Celtics get their 2/3 pick.

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Here's the thing - Lakers have incentive to be as good as possible because they are trying to convince two superstars to join them, and they don't own their pick.  They have no reason to tank, and actually have incentive to be good.

Bulls, Pacers, Suns, Hawks, Magic - all own their picks and figure to tank. 

Given those facts I don't think the Lakers have a shot and being bottom-5, which is what we need them to be. That's the way the arrows are pointing anyway.  And there is always the chance their ping-pong ball comes up and Celtics get their 2/3 pick.

The Nets had no reason to tank for the past two seasons.  That didn't stop them from finishing with the #3 and #1 lottery odds, though.  Having "no incentive to tank" doesn't magically make the team better.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Did any CBers get to watch it?

Was the press conference as weak as it was tweeted about?

https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/885922519471050752

@Scott_Souza
Technically, it was a hallway next to a locked conference room & a fire exit.

@alexdsilvia93
am i the only 1 majorly disappointed in what I just saw? Get the big fish all the hype & get ainge for 10mins in corner of gym
11:02 AM - 14 Jul 2017