Author Topic: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick  (Read 29238 times)

Re: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
After watching the last [...] Summer League game I think we can safely say

This is where I'm gonna stop you.  There is absolutely nothing that we can "safely say" based on a summer league game (well, unless you want to say things like "After watching the last Summer League game I think we can safely say Ball is a good summer league player", which is true but useless).  Playing well in summer league does not mean that your game will translate to the NBA (and vice versa for playing poorly).  It's a good sign, but it is not even close to enough to "safely say" anything about how people will play in the NBA.

Need an example of a great summer league player that struggles in the real NBA? Look no further than the Spurs' Kyle Anderson (23.7/8.3/4.3 in Utah last year, 3.4/2.9/1.3 in the NBA) or our very own Terry Rozier.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Come on y'all. There's a lottery.

The only way you can "safely say" we won't get the Lakers pick is to guarantee that they're a playoff team.

I'll take that bet.

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
After watching the last [...] Summer League game I think we can safely say

This is where I'm gonna stop you.  There is absolutely nothing that we can "safely say" based on a summer league game (well, unless you want to say things like "After watching the last Summer League game I think we can safely say Ball is a good summer league player", which is true but useless).  Playing well in summer league does not mean that your game will translate to the NBA (and vice versa for playing poorly).  It's a good sign, but it is not even close to enough to "safely say" anything about how people will play in the NBA.

Need an example of a great summer league player that struggles in the real NBA? Look no further than the Spurs' Kyle Anderson (23.7/8.3/4.3 in Utah last year, 3.4/2.9/1.3 in the NBA) or our very own Terry Rozier.

TP    Excellent thinking....Can't really 'safely say' any about what the future might hold. 

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 11:21:03 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Teams worse than LA - BKN, ATL, CHI, SAC, PHX, ORL

Teams that look alright but could be worse - IND, NYK, PHI, UTA.

Going to be close but I would start getting used to the idea of getting SAC's pick in 2019 and hoping they're still atrocious.

Phoenix (see Josh Jackson and Bender's improvement and look at their starting KY guard tandem) and Sacremento (see their FA pick ups and PLEASE watch Fox!!!) simply will be BETTER than the Lakers with NO QUESTION!!

Orlando and LA will be neck and neck.

I will concede the others.

Smitty77

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 11:24:45 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
When did KCP become a superstar? He's a slightly souped up version of Marcus Smart.

Since he became a Laker, or on Megahype Ball's team. ESPN's coverage of Laker SL games is hilarious. Brick, brick, TO, OMG look at the transcendent talent on that pass!!!!

Ball will be a fun rookie to watch, but he's not going to improve that team a lick, at least this year. Looks like he will shoot low 20% on the 3, overall in the 30's. He really is a terrible shooter, and NBA defenses will simply cheat off him and let him fire away.

Many of his assists are on cheap leak-out cherry picks that won't be assists in the NBA. But he will average about 8 dimes a game.

The Lakers will again be terrible. I think they are a 25-win team tops..

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 11:39:46 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
After watching the last LA Summer League game I think we can safely say LA will not be a bottom 6 team next season.

I hadn't watched the previous game where Ball went off for 36 points. But, from what I saw last night, he's the real deal. Both offensively and defensively, he's a game changer. He's definitely a transcendent player on the passing end of things. I think both Brown and Tatum can learn a thing or two from him. He has an amazing way of thinking 'pass' all the time. He's lightening quick in his thinking. Often, even if he doesn't get the assist, his initial pass leads to a secondary player being wide open. 

Forget the LA pick. It ain't happening. Ingram scored 26 before he was shut down. Add KCP and possibly 50 games from Lopez, a healthy Randle(?), Clarkson is legit..i don't know the rest of roster that well...I'm sure I'm missing someone good. 

In time, the Celtics might wish they hadn't passed on Ball, not Fultz. (I know he didn't want to play here, his father, yada, yada, ....)

Ball also had 7 TOs. 1.7 to 1 Assist to TO ratio ****

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
After watching the last LA Summer League game I think we can safely say LA will not be a bottom 6 team next season.

I hadn't watched the previous game where Ball went off for 36 points. But, from what I saw last night, he's the real deal. Both offensively and defensively, he's a game changer. He's definitely a transcendent player on the passing end of things. I think both Brown and Tatum can learn a thing or two from him. He has an amazing way of thinking 'pass' all the time. He's lightening quick in his thinking. Often, even if he doesn't get the assist, his initial pass leads to a secondary player being wide open. 

Forget the LA pick. It ain't happening. Ingram scored 26 before he was shut down. Add KCP and possibly 50 games from Lopez, a healthy Randle(?), Clarkson is legit..i don't know the rest of roster that well...I'm sure I'm missing someone good. 

In time, the Celtics might wish they hadn't passed on Ball, not Fultz. (I know he didn't want to play here, his father, yada, yada, ....) 
they're D is atrocious. their offense inexperienced, at best, outside of Lopez.  They're rebounding is suspect.  they have a lot of youth which rarely makes for a winning team.  most importantly, they're playing in a stacked Western conference that's going to beat them like a drum.  This is the team the rest of the conference will be looking at for easy wins while they're all fighting for a playoff spot.

Looking at LA as a bottom 4 team record-wise right now. 

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
They have a mediocre and untested offense and one of the worst defenses in the League

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Safely say?

They are still going to be bad and get thumped by the Western conference teams. Question is how bad will the East be. They might not be top 2 but they still have top 5 potential.

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

It would really surprise me if the Magic were this bad.

Also, I think this is underestimating how much more difficult schedules the team's in the west will have compared to those in the east.

Rookies rarely make huge contributions immediately, but even if Lonzo is great right away, they are still one of the 3 worst team in the west. The fact that their schedule will be west heavy and they are one of the worst teams in the west will hurt them.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
oh no not another Summer League overreaction !!!

Lakers will be garbage.. of course they are a good summer league team most of their lineup is playing ..

As for Lopez they are going to trade him at the deadline to get value back for having no pick in the draft... think about it!!

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Looks like Bagley could skip his senior year and come out next year  :o :o

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/7/14/15972042/marvin-bagley-iii-recruiting-duke-usc-reclassify-nba-draft

Imagine landing 2 of Doncic, Bagley, and Porter next year..

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Looks like Bagley could skip his senior year and come out next year  :o :o

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/7/14/15972042/marvin-bagley-iii-recruiting-duke-usc-reclassify-nba-draft

Imagine landing 2 of Doncic, Bagley, and Porter next year..

If nothing else, it significantly increases our chances of landing one of them.

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Worst team in the West imo
Right, which means they will play more tougher teams.  I still think the pick will convey.

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Doesn't LA play in the West? And didn't they get ALOT stronger over the last few weeks? They are a very young team still and one thing that they don't have going for them season is BAll.  Reason is, his dad made a lot of statements that rubbed players the wrong way, and has put a target on his back. Guys are going to go at him hard for at least the first half of the season. Remember, Ball is playing against the same age as him, wait until he's going against established players.

The East got weaker, but there are a bunch of teams going to be fighting for the tank job, and it's going to end up being 50/50 when they play each other.  They might end up with more wins because they are playing against teams just as bad as them. Where the Lakers are going against at least 10 teams that will crush them.