Author Topic: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick  (Read 29120 times)

Re: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
They are in an absolutely brutal conference this year, only Sac and Phoenix can be considered objectively worse. I fully expect them to be in the bottom 6 at the end of the year, it'll likely be lady luck that decides the fate of the pick.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
When did KCP become a superstar? He's a slightly souped up version of Marcus Smart.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
If we miss on LAL, we got a great chance for a high pick in 2019. And that draft is just as stacked at the top as the 2018 draft is.

There's always the chance we miss out on both, but we could be in line to land another cornerstone player. I'll focus on BRK 18 pick and worry about the LAL/Sac bridge when we come to it.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If we miss on LAL, we got a great chance for a high pick in 2019. And that draft is just as stacked at the top as the 2018 draft is.

There's always the chance we miss out on both, but we could be in line to land another cornerstone player. I'll focus on BRK 18 pick and worry about the LAL/Sac bridge when we come to it.
That's a fair point. Quite a few nice cornerstones in the 2019 draft

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
we get the worse of sac/phil pick in 2019?

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Ball / Clarkson
KCP / ?
Ingram / Deng
Randle / Nance Jr.
Lopez / Zubac

That team is atrocious, and is likely the worst defensive team in the entire NBA.

A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S

Really.....  Come on.  This Lakers team is way better than last years team.    a 41 win team last year went to the playoffs from the West.   ITs not that crazy to think this roster can win 15 more games than last year.   I hate the Lakers as much as the next guy, but the reality is they might just be better than A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S
Someone has been writing about IT so much that muscle memory kicked in. :D

1 thing to note. Lakers don't have the incentive to lose this year. "Au contraire!" They lose the FA appeal when they do, as we have seen. They will play hard, just not well enough. Kings and Phoenix own thier pick rights.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I still think they're gonna suck enough where we'll get the pick conveyed to us next spring.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
we get the worse of sac/phil pick in 2019?

Only if it's #1 overall. Otherwise we get the better of the two.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I watched some of that game. I was impressed with his ability to set up his teammates. But then again, I was similarly impressed with some of the shots Tatum made.

The proof is in the pudding, and we wouldn't know until we see how they adjust to real competition.

co-sign

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Ball / Clarkson
KCP / ?
Ingram / Deng
Randle / Nance Jr.
Lopez / Zubac

That team is atrocious, and is likely the worst defensive team in the entire NBA.

A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S

Really.....  Come on.  This Lakers team is way better than last years team.    a 41 win team last year went to the playoffs from the West.   ITs not that crazy to think this roster can win 15 more games than last year.   I hate the Lakers as much as the next guy, but the reality is they might just be better than A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S
Someone has been writing about IT so much that muscle memory kicked in. :D

1 thing to note. Lakers don't have the incentive to lose this year. "Au contraire!" They lose the FA appeal when they do, as we have seen. They will play hard, just not well enough. Kings and Phoenix own thier pick rights.

I must have missed this...could someone explain this to me. And/or send me a link.  Thanks....

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think it's way too early to "safely say" we won't get the pick in 2018.

Yes, the Lakers have made some improvements to their roster.  But so have almost every single team in the West.   The Lakers still look to be no _better_ than the 2nd worst team in the West.   And it's not really clear to me that the Lakers are better than PHO if Chandler, Bledsoe & Dudley are all healthy and play real minutes alongside their own talented youth.  Those three plus Booker, Chriss, Bender, et al., is on paper just as good if not better of a lineup than the Lakers'.

Every other Western Conference team looks clearly superior.  Even SAC, though probably still a lottery team, looks a clear step up above the Lakers.

Where are the Lakers going to get the "wins"?

I grant they may be 'better' than a handful of teams in the East.   But that doesn't mean they will have a better record than those crappy teams in the East.

The Lakers have to play 52 games in the West.   How many of those are they going to win?

Most of the Western conference teams will probably sweep their series against the Lakers.   I can't imagine the Lakers sweeping any of the others.  So they are going to get maybe just 1 or 2 wins from each of the 4 or 5 worst teams in the West.    So maybe ~10 wins against western teams?

So they'll have to get a bunch of wins against the 'crappy' eastern conference teams.   But their problem is that they just won't be playing that many games against those teams.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

Offline clintonwalker

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think they still might be the worst team in the West.  Phoenix has more young talent and still has some cagey vets like Chandler and Bledsoe.  I really like what Sacto has done.  They have a lot of young talent, but then added George Hill, Vince Carter, and Zach Randolph (and they still have vets like Barnes, Afflalo and Koufos).  I mean I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Lakers finish with a better record then both of those teams, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers with a worse record. 

As for Ball, he was 6 of 20 from the field and 2 of 10 from three.  It is never good when you have more shots than points.  Obviously scoring isn't Ball's game, but you will cost your team games if you can't hit a broad side of the barn either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
My analysis stems from acknowledging that Lopez had a really good year for the Nets last season and even with that, they managed to be the worst team in the league.  The Lakers probably have more talent around Lopez than the Nets did but none of it is proven talent.  Ingram and Randall have not done anything (they may improve), KCP may add something and Ball is rookie, very few rookies move the needle in their first season.

My conclusion is that the Lakers are not much better than last seasons Nets and they will play in a tougher conference.  Lopez will probably not play two consecutive seasons injury free.

I am not that worried about getting the Lakers pick.  Worst case, we get a lottery pick the next season from either Sac or Philly.   It would be nice to get a top 5 pick and I think there is a good shot at this but not the end of the world if we don't.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
My analysis stems from acknowledging that Lopez had a really good year for the Nets last season and even with that, they managed to be the worst team in the league.  The Lakers probably have more talent around Lopez than the Nets did but none of it is proven talent.  Ingram and Randall have not done anything (they may improve), KCP may add something and Ball is rookie, very few rookies move the needle in their first season.

My conclusion is that the Lakers are not much better than last seasons Nets and they will play in a tougher conference.  Lopez will probably not play two consecutive seasons injury free.

I am not that worried about getting the Lakers pick.  Worst case, we get a lottery pick the next season from either Sac or Philly.   It would be nice to get a top 5 pick and I think there is a good shot at this but not the end of the world if we don't.

I disagree that they won't be better. To me, Ball seems to make everyone around him better.

I do agree that they may not have a much better record because of the tough conference they play in. Plus, Lopez is injury prone.