Author Topic: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick  (Read 29127 times)

I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick
« on: July 14, 2017, 09:07:39 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
After watching the last LA Summer League game I think we can safely say LA will not be a bottom 6 team next season.

I hadn't watched the previous game where Ball went off for 36 points. But, from what I saw last night, he's the real deal. Both offensively and defensively, he's a game changer. He's definitely a transcendent player on the passing end of things. I think both Brown and Tatum can learn a thing or two from him. He has an amazing way of thinking 'pass' all the time. He's lightening quick in his thinking. Often, even if he doesn't get the assist, his initial pass leads to a secondary player being wide open. 

Forget the LA pick. It ain't happening. Ingram scored 26 before he was shut down. Add KCP and possibly 50 games from Lopez, a healthy Randle(?), Clarkson is legit..i don't know the rest of roster that well...I'm sure I'm missing someone good. 

In time, the Celtics might wish they hadn't passed on Ball, not Fultz. (I know he didn't want to play here, his father, yada, yada, ....) 

Re: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Summer league guarantees NBA success:

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ball / Clarkson
KCP / ?
Ingram / Deng
Randle / Nance Jr.
Lopez / Zubac

That team is atrocious, and is likely the worst defensive team in the entire NBA.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If we don't get the pick it won't be because of Ball and Ingram looking like superstars. It will be because of the other guys they brought in boosting the team out of the bottom 5 of the league.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think that is the case too, but there are some chances still.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=92638.0

I wrote why I believe it could be beneficial for us.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
They got rid of their most consistent scorer from last season (Russell) who was looking at having a breakout year this upcoming season. They've replaced him with Lopez, who will certainly get his on the offensive end but he's done that forever on a losing team without making an impact before. I don't see how replacement level players like Randle, KCP, and Clarkson bring them any closer to success even with marginal improvements.

Ball looked great the other night and I think his game is perfectly suited for the pace of the modern NBA. In one of the other countless "Tatum is better than (insert player)" threads, there was a lot of criticism about how Ball's assists come from throwing lead passes after inbounds/made baskets, which is exactly what makes him so special. He's able to play like a quarterback and get his teammates going if they're willing to run. When his shot is falling, he's hard to stop.

With all of that said though, Ball and Ingram are not far enough in their development to be a scary team especially in the West. Nothing about their roster suggests consistent winning in the near future. I wouldn't worry about it.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Teams worse than LA - BKN, ATL, CHI, SAC, PHX, ORL

Teams that look alright but could be worse - IND, NYK, PHI, UTA.

Going to be close but I would start getting used to the idea of getting SAC's pick in 2019 and hoping they're still atrocious.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I watched some of that game. I was impressed with his ability to set up his teammates. But then again, I was similarly impressed with some of the shots Tatum made.

The proof is in the pudding, and we wouldn't know until we see how they adjust to real competition.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Too premature to safely say this.

1 - Summer League doesn't mean much.
2 - Lakers defense should be bottom five.
3 - It's lottery based...even if their record is not 2-5...the pick could fall into our sweet spot!

"May the odds be ever in our favor."   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I think that is the case too, but there are some chances still.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=92638.0

I wrote why I believe it could be beneficial for us.

TP good analysis in your previous CB post...

Slamtheking mentioned in one the responses to your post..." I can't see anyone other than possibly Phx being that bad in the West."

I tend to disagree with his assessment based on what I remember of the first Boston-Phoenix game last year. They were a tough defensive team. They really bottled up the Celtics in that game. Bender is a great perimeter defender (if he's healthy). And, obviously Josh Jackson will be even better. They have the Chriss swatting balls underneath. They also have great shooting guards and Len is decent too.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Ball has always been a highly skilled, high output player. The question is what happens to him when he's playing against guys that are nearly as skilled, and a better athlete than he is. So far, the evidence is that he struggles.

In summer league, he rarely faces that level of player.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
As mentioned, the Lakers' defense is going to be a huge roadblock to that team's success.  On that entire roster, the only good defender is (this surprised me) Larry Nance Jr.  Aside from him, all of their real rotation players grade poorly even when adjusted for the poor play of their surrounding players. 

Ball has adjusted well to summer league.  I'm still going to need to see him make an impact in NBA games, where opposing teams will have a much greater ability to control tempo and gameplan for his strengths and weaknesses.  I'm not sure the Lakers shoot well enough to pick him up in halfcourt sets.  Lots of mediocre-at-best shooting on that roster.  But he'll be a problem for teams that don't want to play defense in transition - those look-ahead passes on the break are gorgeous. 

Honestly I'm looking forward to watching him.  His brand of basketball would be fun to watch if we didn't stand to directly benefit from his failure, lol. 

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Worst team in the West imo

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Ball / Clarkson
KCP / ?
Ingram / Deng
Randle / Nance Jr.
Lopez / Zubac

That team is atrocious, and is likely the worst defensive team in the entire NBA.

A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S

Really.....  Come on.  This Lakers team is way better than last years team.    a 41 win team last year went to the playoffs from the West.   ITs not that crazy to think this roster can win 15 more games than last year.   I hate the Lakers as much as the next guy, but the reality is they might just be better than A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S
Diggles

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ball / Clarkson
KCP / ?
Ingram / Deng
Randle / Nance Jr.
Lopez / Zubac

A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S

Really.....  Come on.  This Lakers team is way better than last years team.    a 41 win team last year went to the playoffs from the West.   ITs not that crazy to think this roster can win 15 more games than last year.   I hate the Lakers as much as the next guy, but the reality is they might just be better than A~T~R~O~C~I~O~U~S
It's crazy to think that team can win 2 more games than they did last season, let alone 15. They have barely any passable NBA level defenders on their entire roster, and they're relying upon young guys almost exclusively (except for Lopez).

In addition to that, they have one of the worst benches in the league. Atrocious is definitely the word I'd use.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)