Author Topic: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick  (Read 29247 times)

Re: I think we can safely say we won't get the Laker pick
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
The Lakers play 30 of their 82 games against the East. Let's say they are better than Brooklyn. Atlanta, Chicago, New York and Indiana and win them all, that's 10 wins. Add in 2 surprise wins against the rest for 12 total.

Of the 52 against the West they are possibly better than Phoenix and Sacramento. Let's also add in New Orleans exploding mid season and the Lakers sweep them. That's another 11 wins. Add in a couple of wins against the Denvers and Grizzlies of the worlds for 18 wins in the West.

That's 30 total, I've had them sweep every team below them which will never happen but that should offset them being swept by others... That's good for 6th worst record last year.

Does anyone think they are doing better than that? Who else are they taking wins off?

In reality they are probably going to lose road games to the bad East teams, particularly a team like Brooklyn who play hard. Ball, who won't be producing at summer league levels in the NBA, will hit the rookie wall just like every other rookie in history. They are likely to try and ship off some of their longer term contracts like Deng and Clarkson to max cap space this summer which will inevitably cause some instability on the roster.

There may even come a point where it benefits them to lose the pick this year because of cap space. I haven't looked at this but if the lack of a pick gives them the space to bring in James and George then it's a no brainer.
They lose the pick regardless. It is unprotected this year and goes to Philly unless it's 2-5.

Its 2-5 protected, which means we can only aquire it if its falls to #'s 3 or 4 so anything out of them two picks we dont get it

« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The Lakers play 30 of their 82 games against the East. Let's say they are better than Brooklyn. Atlanta, Chicago, New York and Indiana and win them all, that's 10 wins. Add in 2 surprise wins against the rest for 12 total.

Of the 52 against the West they are possibly better than Phoenix and Sacramento. Let's also add in New Orleans exploding mid season and the Lakers sweep them. That's another 11 wins. Add in a couple of wins against the Denvers and Grizzlies of the worlds for 18 wins in the West.

That's 30 total, I've had them sweep every team below them which will never happen but that should offset them being swept by others... That's good for 6th worst record last year.

Does anyone think they are doing better than that? Who else are they taking wins off?

In reality they are probably going to lose road games to the bad East teams, particularly a team like Brooklyn who play hard. Ball, who won't be producing at summer league levels in the NBA, will hit the rookie wall just like every other rookie in history. They are likely to try and ship off some of their longer term contracts like Deng and Clarkson to max cap space this summer which will inevitably cause some instability on the roster.

There may even come a point where it benefits them to lose the pick this year because of cap space. I haven't looked at this but if the lack of a pick gives them the space to bring in James and George then it's a no brainer.
They lose the pick regardless. It is unprotected this year and goes to Philly unless it's 2-5.

Its 2-5 protected, which means we can only aquire it if its falls to #'s 3 or 4 so anything out of them two picks we dont get it

That's not what the protection means. It means it can fall to #2, 3, 4 or 5 and the Celtics will get it. Not just 3 or 4.

Anyway, I'm somewhat optimistic about the Lakers pick because I think they'll rack up a good amount of losses in the West. But it will take some tricky luck to fall exactly in the 2-5 range.

« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

No, Boston gets the pick if it is 2, 3, 4, or 5, but LA loses the pick no matter what.  If it is 1 or 6-30 then Philadelphia gets the pick and Boston then gets the rights to Sacramento's or Philadelphia's 2019 pick whichever one is better (and Philly keeps the worse of those two picks).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

No, Boston gets the pick if it is 2, 3, 4, or 5, but LA loses the pick no matter what.  If it is 1 or 6-30 then Philadelphia gets the pick and Boston then gets the rights to Sacramento's or Philadelphia's 2019 pick whichever one is better (and Philly keeps the worse of those two picks).

Sadly, we get the worse of the 2019 picks if it is #1. 2018 is our year!

Mike

« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
... unless the Philly or Sacto pick is #1, in which case we get the worse of the two.  LOL.  Need to dig up that flowchart.