Author Topic: Would you trade Rozier for a PF?  (Read 6909 times)

Would you trade Rozier for a PF?
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:14:54 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Hear me out. 2 ideas working here. First, if IT and Smart get new contracts, I can't imagine Terry fits long term.  2nd, we have so many players, we need to package some of them or we will have to waive them.

Some time in the next couple of days, Mickey will get waived and Hayward gets signed officially.

Would you trade Rozier and Jackson (and the rights to Nader) for either:

Noah Vonleh and Shabbaz Napier

Or

Kyle O'Quinn and Chasson Randle

The 15 man would be:

IT. Smart. Napier
Hayward. Brown
Crowder. Tatum. Semi.
Morris. Vonleh. Yabusele
Horford. Baynes. Theis. Zizic

So we get weaker at 3rd string PG but we get another big that can rebound.

Re: Would you trade Rozier for a PF?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:48 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Wouldn't he be our only backup point guard assuming Smart starts or does BS really see Smart as a PG? 2nd unit wont have any ball handlers. But by next year, I see trading him the best choice based off what you said. Also its interesting to see what position Hayward plays and if Crowder even starts

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:28:58 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Wouldn't he be our only backup point guard assuming Smart starts or does BS really see Smart as a PG? 2nd unit wont have any ball handlers. But by next year, I see trading him the best choice based off what you said. Also its interesting to see what position Hayward plays and if Crowder even starts
Smart Thomas and Hayward are the three players on the team capable of running an offense.

Any minutes with none of them on the court will be bad.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:38:54 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
Smart Thomas and Hayward are the three players on the team capable of running an offense.

I'm just not sold that Jaylens starting next year. Marcus is the only other player capable of playing the two unless we plan on starting crowder. I seem Crowder more capable of leading the 2nd unit then Marcus. He needs to guard the top opposing guards IMO. Our 2nd unit 3pt shooting would be weak. Playoff Smart creates illusions at times lol. He becomes a different man.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:44:36 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:44:24 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

I'm just not sold that Jaylens starting next year. Marcus is the only other player capable of playing the two unless we plan on starting crowder. I seem Crowder more capable of leading the 2nd unit then Marcus. He needs to guard the top opposing guards IMO. Our 2nd unit 3pt shooting would be weak. Playoff Smart creates illusions at times lol. He becomes a different man.
If you think Jae Crowder is better at running an offense than Marcus Smart then I can't help you. You are just incorrect.

Smart could start at the 2 but next to Hayward and thomas, but you've got to stagger their minutes such that one of them is always on the court.

Marcus can't create a ton or carry an offense but he can initiate an offense and keep everyone involved. If you try to put Crowder and Rozier leading the second unit you are just gonna get an incredibly stagnant offense and a succession of isos and bad jumpers.

I'd go: thomas/brown/Hayward/Morris/horford
And the bench: smart/Rozier/Tatum/Crowder/baynes

You never do wholesale changes so the units would be staggered a bit to keep enough shooting on the floor at all times.

Keep in mind brown started for is during a crucial 10 game stretch last year where we went 9-1. Stick him on the first line where he can focus on defense and helping out on the glass and I think he fits quite well.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »

• Jayson Tatum

If you think Jae Crowder is better at running an offense than Marcus Smart then I can't help you. You are just incorrect.

Smart could start at the 2 but next to Hayward and thomas, but you've got to stagger their minutes such that one of them is always on the court.

Marcus can't create a ton or carry an offense but he can initiate an offense and keep everyone involved. If you try to put Crowder and Rozier leading the second unit you are just gonna get an incredibly stagnant offense and a succession of isos and bad jumpers.

I'd go: thomas/brown/Hayward/Morris/horford
And the bench: smart/Rozier/Tatum/Crowder/baynes

You never do wholesale changes so the units would be staggered a bit to keep enough shooting on the floor at all times.

Keep in mind brown started for is during a crucial 10 game stretch last year where we went 9-1. Stick him on the first line where he can focus on defense and helping out on the glass and I think he fits quite well.

I agree with most thie things you said.. when I compared Crowder to Smart, I meant from a leadership Roll. At the same time Smart and Crowder in the 2nd unit would be good stuff as well. I just don't like Rozier and Smart pairing. I feel it  expects Marcus Smart to carry a scoring load. Him with the ball makes Rozier extremely unaffected as he isn't a catch a shoot player,

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 01:10:11 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I would have rather traded Rozier to Orlando (if the Magic would have been down for that, anyway) for their second round picks at 33 and 35, respectively, in the draft, but we are where we are :-\. Sigh.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:27:55 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 01:59:49 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Rozier is on a good contract and has 2 years left until RFA. Crowder has an even better contract, value wise, and though he makes more money Crowder is kind of redundant in our team...idk if Crowder even starts.

We won't get much back for Rozier but Crowder would fetch us something bc he has a top 5 contract in the NBA and a team that needs a SF badly could give us more value. If we did not draft Tatum and trade for Morris and sign Hayward I would not be saying this.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 04:37:25 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Rozier and to a certain extent Jackson are our insurance for Smart and IT in a years time. Chances are that we will lose one of them next year, probably Smart. We currently have no other point guard on a cheap contract that can fill that void.

It would be just as easy to sign a vet PF to the vet min and be done with it.

Given we now have Baynes for a year I'm not understanding the need for a guylike O'Quinn anymore. The C spot is sorted:

20-25mpg Baynes
10-12mpg Zizic
11-18mpg Horford

Come playoff time Horford will soak up the minutes at C anyway

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 05:25:06 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Why would you trade someone for whom we have no replacement? Smart will be playing some 2, so he's not strictly the backup PG.

Also, it's not smart to go into negotiation with Smart when you have zero depth behind him. We don't know he will definitely be re-signed, what if a team gives him a really rich offer? You don't want to be in a position where you're pressured to overpay a role player.

Finally, his contract is very reasonable and runs two more years. O'Quinn and Vonleh will need to be re-signed in a year. How much are you going to pay them? I think Vonleh is a bust. Teams don't give up on players they just drafted unless something is wrong with them.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 05:38:31 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rozier helps a ton going forward with helping guard a lot of the PG in coming years. Yeah Hayward can run the point, but he's better suited for guarding  3's and bigger 2's.

While not necessarily having elite talent at the PF spot, we're pretty strong. Morris/Baynes/Yabu/Semi with Horford/Crowder/Tatum swinging for small or big line ups. Plus the Ero guy who it's too early in the mourning to remember his name. So we are 7 to 8 strong with PF's.

If anything we need guard and center bodies. A cheap C and 3 and D guard would be great for the bench. Moving AB made Rozier more valuable, and Crowder more expendable.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 05:41:13 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
No. He may be our starting PG to start the season until Thomas' hip is OK.

Besides that, he helps in defense, rebounding and scoring; when/if he learns more playmaking skills and decision taking, he may be a solid starter in a contender.

Furthermore, I can't understand how people are asking for ANOTHER PF. Horford can play there, Morris can play there, Tatum can play there, Yabusele can play there, Ojeleye can play there, Theis can play there, Crowder can occasionally play there  ::) ::)

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Not unless it's a good one. He's first guard off the bench this year when Smart starts at SG.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I would have rather traded Rozier to Orlando (if the Magic would have been down for that, anyway) for their second round picks at 33 and 35, respectively, in the draft, but we are where we are :-\. Sigh.

Candidate for worst post in Csblog history.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 06:48:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Candidate for worst post in Csblog history.

You flatter me, sir ::).