Author Topic: Rule changes coming.  (Read 3210 times)

Rule changes coming.
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
The NBA has lowered the max time outs in a game to 14 and is limiting each team to 2 time outs in the last 2 minutes.  Also, apparently they are getting rid of the 20 second time outs.  Should speed games up a bit. 

Re: Rule changes coming.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Love the timeout changes.  Especially the two in the last 3 minutes one.

They also got rid of the "under 9" timeouts in the 2nd & 4th which is nice.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
You know you're good when the league creates rules to stop you. Brad Stevens' out of timeout plays were just too dominant. They had to eliminate some of those opportunities.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Also read the trade deadline will be BEFORE the All-Star break this year.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Also read the trade deadline will be BEFORE the All-Star break this year.

Cheers to AD trade demands ASAP!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
You know you're good when the league creates rules to stop you. Brad Stevens' out of timeout plays were just too dominant. They had to eliminate some of those opportunities.

Haha.

That said, fewer timeouts rewards both roster depth (tougher to get star players rest during timeouts to Lee them on the floor) and versatile players (less likely to run into matchup difficulties that require a substitution).  For the most part, I think the Celtics could be advantaged by them.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Haha.

That said, fewer timeouts rewards both roster depth (tougher to get star players rest during timeouts to Lee them on the floor) and versatile players (less likely to run into matchup difficulties that require a substitution).  For the most part, I think the Celtics could be advantaged by them.

Yes and no.  Stevens likes to sub Thomas in and out of games at the end for defensive purposes.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't like limiting teams to two time-outs in the final minutes. If a coach wants to save his time-outs for what he thinks might be an important situation, then why does it matter? I get wanting to speed up the game, but this isn't exactly baseball, and it's not like they aren't given those time-outs to use anyway.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't like limiting teams to two time-outs in the final minutes. If a coach wants to save his time-outs for what he thinks might be an important situation, then why does it matter? I get wanting to speed up the game, but this isn't exactly baseball, and it's not like they aren't given those time-outs to use anyway.

Here's my wrinkle - you can have as many timeouts in the last 2 minutes as you've saved up but only one can be a full timeout. Everything else is converted to 20 seconds, and they enforce the time more strictly.

Ooh, I like this one.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
All time outs will be 75 seconds now as well.  No more 90 and 20 second tos.  And with the trade deadline before the all star break now we won't get another Boogie situation. 

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
All time outs will be 75 seconds now as well.  No more 90 and 20 second tos.

Well, "20 second" time-outs have been 1 minute for several years, and "full time-outs" have been 3 minutes. During the 2017 playoffs, they even established time-out clocks, which confirmed that. Full time-outs have typically been 4 minutes when ESPN is broadcasting.

So I wonder how long the so-called "75 second" time-outs will be. Based on the number of steps allowed before traveling, and the number of seconds for a lane violation, 75 seconds should be about 2:40.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Finally

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Thank God.

Celtics home games finish at past 4 am in Spain. Watching them and keeping awake is a torture when I'm too tired/wake up early the next day and there are thousands of interruptions in close games.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Here's my wrinkle - you can have as many timeouts in the last 2 minutes as you've saved up but only one can be a full timeout. Everything else is converted to 20 seconds, and they enforce the time more strictly.

Ooh, I like this one.

Perfect, tp - love that idea. I just don't think coaches should be penalized for saving timeouts and your idea seems to be the best of both worlds.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Don't worry they're planning on doing twice as many repays looking for flagrant 1 or flagrant 2.