Author Topic: George: Going to LA talk is "overstated"  (Read 9128 times)

Re: George: Going to LA talk is "overstated"
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I love how some people have already convinced themselves that Ainge's target in next year's draft is Doncic, or any other player. After 95% of this board was convinced Ainge's target was Fultz he traded that opportunity just days before the draft because Tatum was his guy. Lesson learned: state that you want that player. Assuming you know what's in Danny's mind means you may come up wrong a lot, if not most, of the time

Its really too early to say who should be the target. Its not hard to see why people would think the target was Fultz considering the need and stated desire for a shot creator. In reality very few will know what Danny is truly thinking but everyone can make a guess as to who they would take.

I will also say this, most people go into the eval process of these top prospects very late in the game. For example, Ainge has seen Tatum since his U16 days. He has a long book on him.
In 2 years (maybe 1 depending upon if he reclassifies) you will hear all these wild stories about R.J Barrett as he is going into his freshman year in college. Most will pick up watch games wherever he goes thus leading to varying degrees of opinions. In reality Ainge started a book on him last year and has at least 8 games of tape on him as a sophomore in HS.

I say all of this because Ainge is doing his homework long before these guys become hot to the general public. Ultimately to get a good sense of who he is targeting when he has these high picks look at guys who play in these high profile tourneys and have a high work ethic. Those seem to be traits that he seems to be after with these high picks.

This is all true of course, but it doesn't mean we abandon all logic and just say "who knows what Danny will do"...

At some point team needs and the future of the team need to enter the thinking. My belief that Danny wants Doncic is that signing IT to a Brink Truck contract puts the team deep into the luxury tax and the team could probably not win it all. So IT not be with the team after next year. So we would need a primary ball handler and playmaker. Since Danny passed on Fultz and then traded Bradley, it either means he thinks Smart or Brown can be our primary ballhandler/playmaker, or he has someone else in mind. Then he goes out and gets another top-5 first for next year in addition to the pick that will probably already have the best odds of the No 1. Clearly he thinks the top of the 2018 draft is quite impressive. The consensus seems to be Porter, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba seem to be top 4 next year, it seems natural that Danny would be looking hard at one of these guys. And since we will most likely need a playmaker, Doncic seems to be a natural fit. A 6'7" Rondo that can shoot is right up our alley..

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love how some people have already convinced themselves that Ainge's target in next year's draft is Doncic, or any other player. After 95% of this board was convinced Ainge's target was Fultz he traded that opportunity just days before the draft because Tatum was his guy. Lesson learned: state that you want that player. Assuming you know what's in Danny's mind means you may come up wrong a lot, if not most, of the time

Its really too early to say who should be the target. Its not hard to see why people would think the target was Fultz considering the need and stated desire for a shot creator. In reality very few will know what Danny is truly thinking but everyone can make a guess as to who they would take.

I will also say this, most people go into the eval process of these top prospects very late in the game. For example, Ainge has seen Tatum since his U16 days. He has a long book on him.
In 2 years (maybe 1 depending upon if he reclassifies) you will hear all these wild stories about R.J Barrett as he is going into his freshman year in college. Most will pick up watch games wherever he goes thus leading to varying degrees of opinions. In reality Ainge started a book on him last year and has at least 8 games of tape on him as a sophomore in HS.

I say all of this because Ainge is doing his homework long before these guys become hot to the general public. Ultimately to get a good sense of who he is targeting when he has these high picks look at guys who play in these high profile tourneys and have a high work ethic. Those seem to be traits that he seems to be after with these high picks.

This is all true of course, but it doesn't mean we abandon all logic and just say "who knows what Danny will do"...

At some point team needs and the future of the team need to enter the thinking. My belief that Danny wants Doncic is that signing IT to a Brink Truck contract puts the team deep into the luxury tax and the team could probably not win it all. So IT not be with the team after next year. So we would need a primary ball handler and playmaker. Since Danny passed on Fultz and then traded Bradley, it either means he thinks Smart or Brown can be our primary ballhandler/playmaker, or he has someone else in mind. Then he goes out and gets another top-5 first for next year in addition to the pick that will probably already have the best odds of the No 1. Clearly he thinks the top of the 2018 draft is quite impressive. The consensus seems to be Porter, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba seem to be top 4 next year, it seems natural that Danny would be looking hard at one of these guys. And since we will most likely need a playmaker, Doncic seems to be a natural fit. A 6'7" Rondo that can shoot is right up our alley..
Again, its your belief that IT won't be signed. Its not what Ainge thinks.

Ainge has given no indication that is true. He did openly mock fans that worry about who makes what though and said let him worry about who gets paid what and who doesn't.

If Ainge signs IT, perhaps he bypasses Doncic. Heck he may not even have a chance to draft him. Neither the Nets or Lakers pick are guaranteed to be top 5 picks.

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Ainge has given no indication that is true. He did openly mock fans that worry about who makes what though and said let him worry about who gets paid what and who doesn't.

If Ainge signs IT, perhaps he bypasses Doncic. Heck he may not even have a chance to draft him. Neither the Nets or Lakers pick are guaranteed to be top 5 picks.

So now you're claiming to know what Ainge thinks? LOL

I don't know either, I'm just reading the tea leaves..

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Either George didn't want to come to Boston, The Pacers didn't want him in Boston, or The hidden hand didn't want him in Boston.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So now you're claiming to know what Ainge thinks? LOL
Don't know where you got that idea from what I wrote. Never once mentioned I know what Ainge thinks. I just presented alternative scenarios that could happen making what you said about what Ainge thinks as not plausible.

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
It wasnt Danny fault that Pritchard couldn't and wouldn't wait..Pacers are determined to send him out West so nothing Danny can do about it...Danny I believe would have given up the Laker pick and or Smart. Really AB Crowder Smart and or the Laker pick arr just really that much better than what they got from OKC.
Sure it was.  Ainge wouldn't commit.  A commitment doesn't mean an immediate trade.  The trade with OKC wasn't finalized for a week.

Why would Ainge commit without Hayward? If Hayward doesnt come you have just traded your 3 best defenders or maybe 2 best defenders for him. If you are trying to go all in the plan would have to be Hayward and George. Indy wanted the deal they saw before them and took it. Im not sure how one can blame Danny for wanting to hold the space open for Hayward and then getting Hayward.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It wasnt Danny fault that Pritchard couldn't and wouldn't wait..Pacers are determined to send him out West so nothing Danny can do about it...Danny I believe would have given up the Laker pick and or Smart. Really AB Crowder Smart and or the Laker pick arr just really that much better than what they got from OKC.
Sure it was.  Ainge wouldn't commit.  A commitment doesn't mean an immediate trade.  The trade with OKC wasn't finalized for a week.

Why would Ainge commit without Hayward? If Hayward doesnt come you have just traded your 3 best defenders or maybe 2 best defenders for him. If you are trying to go all in the plan would have to be Hayward and George. Indy wanted the deal they saw before them and took it. Im not sure how one can blame Danny for wanting to hold the space open for Hayward and then getting Hayward.
You should always trade Crowder, Smart, and a non-premium pick for Paul George.  It should never be a question.  Ainge totally blew the negotiations and Paul George should be a Celtic.  Boston still could have acquired Hayward by just waiting to make it official.  All Ainge had to say was, we have a deal no matter what, just let me use my cap space first before we make it official.  Thomas, Hayward, George, and Horford is absolutely a contender even with vet minimum types surrounding them (but they would have still have Tatum and Brown).  That team would not only push Cleveland, but might actually be favored against them and would be a real threat to Golden State (though GS would still be the favorite).  Ainge blew this summer by not acquiring George for what the rumored price was.  If Hayward didn't sign, then you end up with a nice solid 4 some of Thomas, Bradley, George, and Horford, which is better than the current 4 some anyway.  Paul George would be by far the best player on the Celtics.  He is a 2 way star.  A legit top 10 player in the league.  A guy that can not only guard the James', Durant's, and Leonard's of the world, but also forces those guys to play defense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

No thats more of what we would like him to do than knowing what he thinks. Everyone has their opinion on what they would like to see and I think it makes good conversation.

In regards to Doncic. Im not sure I agree with you on the idea that IT wont be here. I think he is the reason you have Hayward. Its hard to see them just turning him loose and saying goodbye based on the roster construction. It just doesnt make much sense in my book.

I also think the idea of getting that high pick is a play to create value in a trade. If the top 4 is super valuable, you could send the pick to a team looking to start over from a star.

I see you like Doncic. I have him 2nd or 3rd depending on a few factors with Ayton and Porter.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

You should always trade Crowder, Smart, and a non-premium pick for Paul George.  It should never be a question.  Ainge totally blew the negotiations and Paul George should be a Celtic.  Boston still could have acquired Hayward by just waiting to make it official.  All Ainge had to say was, we have a deal no matter what, just let me use my cap space first before we make it official.  Thomas, Hayward, George, and Horford is absolutely a contender even with vet minimum types surrounding them (but they would have still have Tatum and Brown).  That team would not only push Cleveland, but might actually be favored against them and would be a real threat to Golden State (though GS would still be the favorite).  Ainge blew this summer by not acquiring George for what the rumored price was.  If Hayward didn't sign, then you end up with a nice solid 4 some of Thomas, Bradley, George, and Horford, which is better than the current 4 some anyway.  Paul George would be by far the best player on the Celtics.  He is a 2 way star.  A legit top 10 player in the league.  A guy that can not only guard the James', Durant's, and Leonard's of the world, but also forces those guys to play defense.

I havent read past the 1st sentence because what you wrote is not possible and still get Hayward. You would have to trade AB, Smart, and Crowder to make the money work.

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I havent read past the 1st sentence because what you wrote is not possible and still get Hayward. You would have to trade AB, Smart, and Crowder to make the money work.
Not if you don't sign Hayward.  To sign Hayward you had to trade 1 of them anyway, so trading all 3 isn't a big deal if you land George and Hayward (and you didn't have to trade Bradley to Indy, he could have gone to another team for a draft pick or something).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

As I further read this, this is just not correct. You can not trade Smart and Crowder for George unless you have cap space available. Since they were trying to open up a max slot hence the AB trade you could never make the deal you are talking about and have a shot at Hayward. You wouldnt be in the conversation. The only other way you could have created a max slot if you did that trade 1st and in the manner you described it is if you traded Brown or Tatum for nothing.

To be very clear. The only deal they could have made if George was going to be traded before FA was AB, Crowder, Smart/Brown for PG13. Thats the only deal they could do and still have a max slot and even then you still would have to get rid of Rozier, Jackson, and Mickey to create the max slot.

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Not if you don't sign Hayward.  To sign Hayward you had to trade 1 of them anyway, so trading all 3 isn't a big deal if you land George and Hayward (and you didn't have to trade Bradley to Indy, he could have gone to another team for a draft pick or something).

You would have to trade all 3 in order to maintain the option of signing Hayward. Its not a matter of signing him. Im talking about even having the option to sign him would be gone if you just trade Smart and Crowder. Or fine you could trade Crowder, Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Jackson. That would work but you will still trade AB to make room for Hayward.

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Right, We use the BKN pick to grab Doncic, then trading use the Laker pick with IT plus whatever picks are necessary to grab AD for example. They can move forward with Cousins, IT, and Jrue, a much more balanced, effective roster. They can use the picks to draft AD's replacement like Bamba or Ayton. Who knows..
Corrections above.  This is what I would do.   ;)

LOL certainly not a bad fall back plan. If we are lucky enough to say draft Doncic and Ayton or Bamba, we'll have the super team of the future for the next 13-15 years lol..

Doncic
Brown
Tatum
Ayton/Bamba
Zizic
Yeah, something like that (but not so sure on Zizic).  Tatum should eventually be a 4.

See, a lot of national media types think the Celtics are in "win now" mode.  I would call it "win as much as possible, but don't do anything to sacrifice the future" mode.   ;)

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Right, We use the BKN pick to grab Doncic, then trading use the Laker pick with IT plus whatever picks are necessary to grab AD for example. They can move forward with Cousins, IT, and Jrue, a much more balanced, effective roster. They can use the picks to draft AD's replacement like Bamba or Ayton. Who knows..

LOL certainly not a bad fall back plan. If we are lucky enough to say draft Doncic and Ayton or Bamba, we'll have the super team of the future for the next 13-15 years lol..

Doncic
Brown
Tatum
Ayton/Bamba
Zizic
Yeah, something like that (but not so sure on Zizic).  Tatum should eventually be a 4.

See, a lot of national media types think the Celtics are in "win now" mode.  I would call it "win as much as possible, but don't do anything to sacrifice the future" mode.   ;)

I just have a hard time seeing Tatum as a 4, even in today's league. He's very thin.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Doncic
Brown
Tatum
Ayton/Bamba
Zizic

I just have a hard time seeing Tatum as a 4, even in today's league. He's very thin.

And I kind of think Danny is just building like two teams, one to try to get as far as possible but the real title window opens in a few years